Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Martin Threshold??

Post Thanks / Like

Default Martin Threshold??

Greeting Everyone! I'm new to the forum.. I'm 13 years old and looking at the martin threshld compound bow... I have worked HARD this summer and have enough money to buy this bow from "Ye olde archery shoppe" What are yall's thought on this bow?? Dont wanna go and waste my hard earned money on junk that will break with the first year... Also how much weight do you think i shoulde able to pull back? I currently shoot a Ragim 40lb recurve and can hold it for quit a while without straining...

Thanks,Parker

Post Thanks / Like

First off, welcome to the forum parker. From what i know about the threshold is that is a solid, dependable bow for the price. You're not going to go wrong going with a martin, and the people you have on this forum are more than willing to help you out with any bit of info that you need. the threshold isn't very different from the style of bow that I began to hunt with exept that its a lot lighter and single cam systems weren't even thought of yet. So if it fits within your price range go with it. You might want to go with a 60 pound bow and back it off to where your comfortable pulling it back that way you can always just tighten it up as you grow into it. If its like the other martins it should have a 15 lb range so that would put you at 45lbs for a starting point.
    2011 Exile/01 Panther
    Rage/Muzzy
    TruGlo
    Easton Arrows
    Blazer Vanes

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

hi Parker. Welcome to the forum. The Treshold will be a good first bow for you if that's what you choose. If you can hold fairly steady w a 40# recurve, try to find the Treshold w 45-60# limbs. Then the bow would grow with you. Or a 35-50# bow if you think you'll be upgrading. Which,im sure you will be once the archery bug bites hard. The only way you will know if a certain bow is for you is to shoot as many as possible in your price range. You'll be better off in the long run if your patient in the buying process and let the bow pick you. The bow MUST fit you or you'll get awfully frustrated in the learning process. Stick around here and ask ANYthing. We're here to elp you help yourself. So don't be afraid to ask questions. There's no such thing as a stupid question. Good luck
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

Post Thanks / Like

welcome to the forum. I looked into the threshold at some point as well. I'm not sure how much its going for. But if its in the 250 range you may want to look into bear's game over bow, my buddy got one on ebay new for 265, it was an 09 model, but its pretty fast, and quiet. My father inlaw bought one as well and love it. Not sure how light the limbs will go, theirs are 55-70, but they probably have a 50-60lb set up as well. Its the cheapest best quality/value I have found. If my draw length was longer I would shoot one all day long, really nice set up. You can also look on ebay for used bows, you take a risk of something being wrong with them, but sometimes you hit the jackpot. I picked up an 06 bowtech equalizer for 225, with 220 dollars worth of accessories. Its quiet, and fast for my setup.
    My best advice is read reviews, see what people are saying about the bow you decide on, and shoot as many as you can. If there are reports of cracked limbs or other recurrent issues be careful.
    "If Darwin saw the same sunrise and sunset, that I see from a duck marsh, or my tree stand; then he would know there is a God, and that He created all of it." -Ford-

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks For the welcome i was looking at the 26-31in draw length and the 40-50lb model i think with my 29in draw length and the weight around 45 i should be able to kill anything in florida.. But if i can pull back more than 50 i will get the 50-60lb model I'm going to see if my dad will take me by th elocal archery shop to see how much weight i can pull back?? Also how much do you think it would be for someone to put a peep on it, and tune it?

Post Thanks / Like

I dont know how much tuning cost, but to install a peep, my shop charged like 8, they also adjusted nock height, checked draw weight, and draw length. This was before I knew how to do all of that. So it shouldnt be to expensive. If you have a 29" draw length you have a ton of options open to you. You will only get stronger over time, so I think you could really find something that will shoot well and probably pretty fast as you can pull more weight. Some advice I would give you, dont feel like your going to have a hernia when you pull that bow back. Its not a macho competition about who can pull the most weight. You want comfortable weight so you can practice over and over with good form. If you straining, your form will get worse and you will shoot worse. I would get something that is plenty adjustable, and start at the lower poundage and work up. In a month or so of shooting you may gain 5lbs of draw weight or more. Even if you can draw 50lb straining, start at 45 and work up.
    My buddy pull 70 lbs pretty easily, and he made sure everyone knew it. So last saturday we went out to his deer stand for the first time for him to practice and shoot. While sitting he drew back and with the restrictions of a deer stand had a more difficult time pulling that 70lbs. That was in 85 degree weather, so it wasnt cold and he didnt have thick clothing on. We got back to the house and he turned it down to 65lb just to make it easier to draw and shoot from the stand. I pull 55lb but can pull 65, I will hunt between 55-60 because thats comfortable and shoots well for me. Archery is about what you do best, not what all your friends have or can do. If you watch hunting shows look and see what some of the girls are pulling, 50lbs tops, they kill deer all day long like the guys, and they have killed more deer then I probably ever will, and i gurantee they are shorter draw length then 29". I saw one girl shoot a water buffalo with a bow, and the guide helped her pull the bow back and it was only set at 65lbs, she got a clean pass through. Those deer and hogs arent nearly as tough.
    You prove your merit much more with accurate shooting, then you do with high poundage showing off.
    "If Darwin saw the same sunrise and sunset, that I see from a duck marsh, or my tree stand; then he would know there is a God, and that He created all of it." -Ford-

Post Thanks / Like

First off, welcome to the forum Parker!! Lots of good info here already and I agree that you should look at all of your options. I shoot a Martin because of their customer service. They do stand behind their products and are a great company!! With that said, I also shoot Bear bow's and haven't had to deal with their customer service as of yet. As others have stated, look at reviews and be sure to take them for what they are. If you see alot of issues of the same nature, you may want to look at another bow in or around the same price range. Going to the archery shop is a great idea. 13 years old and having a 29" draw length?? Dang you're a big kid!! I'm sure your local archery shop will get you setup correctly and you'll be pleased with whatever you decide to buy. Don't pass by the used section either. I've bought some really nice used bows that were better quality than what I was looking at new in my price range and they served me well. In fact, the reason I'm hunting with a bow is because I started with a decent used bow. You have already been shooting so you know you'll like archery, I didn't. Anyways, whatever you decide, try to at least shoot one of that make and model before you buy. Don't wanna waste that money on something that isn't comfortable for you. Peep sights .... my archery shop puts them in for free if you buy the peep there, $4 if you bring it in. Good Luck Parker and keep us informed on what you decide to go with.
    THIS SPACE IS RESERVED FOR WHEN I BECOME A STAFF SHOOTER!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Everyone and yeah im 6'0 ft tall right now I'm on the bigger side lol anyways thanks i was thinking around the 40-50 lb model.. And i dont think my archery shop has the martin threshold in stock they would have to order it for me and i wouldnt wanna cheat them if i dont like the bow.. Also i know the sights are going to be junk so would Tru-Glo sights be ok? I know there on the cheaper side but i have to start somewhere.. I have another question about the D-loop is it better to shoot with or without one or does it even make a difference?? And whats a good peep? Was looking at the G5 Meta peep.. see the nice thing about getting a really cheap bow is i can trick it out anyway i want cause im selling something that will cover the 50$ arrows so all i would neee to buy is a new set of sights already have a Tru-Fire Hurricane realese so i think this bow would be one of the better choices for me.. Only problem is that my dad is gonna think that because its only 199.99 that its cheap junk that will break within a year.. So i would atleast like to know how long yall think this bow could last me??

Post Thanks / Like

Wow 6 foot at 14. Umm I like tru glo sights, I started with one of thier compact models. Just be sure the mount and most parts are aluminum and not plastic and it should be fine. I use to use the G5 meta peep, its a good peep, no complaints about it. I always use a D-loop, prevents you from pinching the nock with your release. Its hard to say how long the threshold will last you, you are growing like a weed, you may max that bow out in a year or so, being that you have a few more growth spurts ahead. But in a year you may want something completely different anyway. If you get bit by the archery bug I would give any bow you own around 2-3 years and you will want to upgrade. With your size the options are endless. I have a 26" draw length so it keeps my options limited to a few bows, kind of a good thing, wont spend all my money every year getting a new bow. I have an exile in the classifieds for 275, the poundage is 55-70lbs so may be a little high, but it goes up to 30" draw. Its a short axle to axle bow, depends if thats what you like. I would ship it to you for free if you decide you want it. New strings and cables, and cable slide on it. Has probably 300 shots through the riser and limbs, but like I said strings and cables are new. The exile replaced the cheetah in the martin line.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks but i would have to earn a few extra buck to afford your bow and i've mowed almost every lawn i could out here in the sticks. Lol and i think i wanna get something "Brand New".. Good luck on your bow, hope it gets sold..