Thread: Cable guide rod material from 2006?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cable guide rod material from 2006?

Just finished up a project on me '06 Orion. Anybody have any idea what the cable guide rod might be made of? It's not a solid rod, but a 3/8" O.D. tube. It's definitely some type of steel, not aluminum, and seemes to be uncoated, bare metal, but it hasn't shown any corrosion whatsoever. Doesn't LOOK like stainless. Can't see why they would make it out of tubing, and leave it open to corrosion unless it was stainless, though.

Sledge

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus777 View Post
    Just finished up a project on me '06 Orion. Anybody have any idea what the cable guide rod might be made of? It's not a solid rod, but a 3/8" O.D. tube. It's definitely some type of steel, not aluminum, and seemes to be uncoated, bare metal, but it hasn't shown any corrosion whatsoever. Doesn't LOOK like stainless. Can't see why they would make it out of tubing, and leave it open to corrosion unless it was stainless, though.

Sledge
    I wouldn't think that it would be stainless, because it would be too heavy, and you should be able to visually tell that it's stainless. All other steels would rust if left uncoated, so my guess would be that there is a clear type of coating on the cable rod. If it isn't steel, then I have no idea what material it is.
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

No, no clear coating. I've taken a torch to it these past few days, and dunked it in water several times. That's why I was so surprised, and curious. Like I said, it doesn't look like stainless, but I've been known to be wrong before. Maybe that's why they made it out of tubing, to keep the weight down? Anyway, I'll have a few pictures of it posted pretty soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Another thought I just had was that it might be hardened (heat treated) steel. Try running a file over an inconspicuous area of it. If it doesn't file very well, then it is probably stainless or hardened steel.
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

if a magnet sticks its steel. if not,its aluminum. ive got one from something that is aluminum
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

Post Thanks / Like

No, not aluminum, too hard, and too heavy. Plus, I have one that's aluminum...and don't like it because it flexes too much...but that's another story.
    I did put the file to it earlier today. It was on the very end so I could mark where a bend was supposed to go...didn't have anything else to mark it with...and it wasn't too awfully hard to mark, in fact I wish I hadn't done it, because then I had to fix it.
    Anyway, I've got it hanging over a pot of boiling vinegar at the moment, and it's rusting up quite nicely, so it must have been a high nickle steel...rust resistant, but not so much as stainless. And now I do think it had some kind of coating on it, too, because when I put the emery cloth to it there was a very shiny almost silver buildup on the paper. After I cut through that the dust became a dark, smokey gray.
    WHY do I have it rusting away over a pot of boiling acid, you ask? Why, so I can put a nice phosphate finish on it, of course! Hehehe!

Post Thanks / Like

Martin did have a rod a few years back like you're describing, Purportedly it was listed as Teflon coated stainless steel. Tubular stainless steel. If I remember right that's what was on my 2004 Slayr.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    Martin did have a rod a few years back like you're describing, Purportedly it was listed as Teflon coated stainless steel. Tubular stainless steel. If I remember right that's what was on my 2004 Slayr.
    Hey Barry. Yes, that's the one, I believe. When I was tinkering with it these past few days it was always in the twilight hours, without good light. And my rust-o-matic project last night was a flop. What I thought was rust was only some kind of brown residue, probably impurities on the pot, and in the vinegar burning off.
    Anyway, had a chance to look at it in the sunshine today, and it's definitely stainless. And I can see where the teflon was burned off, or abraded away. I'm just going to shoot it with Duracoat, and see how it holds up. Should last for awhile since I'll be running the roller slide.

Pictures tonight, hopefully!

Sledge