Thread: First Miss with the bow

Post Thanks / Like

Default First Miss with the bow

So on my first evening archery hunting I missed a really big 6 point. I was getting ready to leave, and I checked behind the stand to be sure no deer where there; and of course a six point is 10 yds behind me. It decideds to take a trail to my left, so I stood and turned around in the stand. It of course went through the thickest cover, I drew when it was nearing an opening about 25 yds away, I bleated and it stopped. With its vitals behind a tree. So I held at full draw for about a minute, which feels like 6 hours, and it took a step forward and I released. shooting through a gap in brush maybe a foot wide. Being that it was almost dark I couldnt see the arrow make contact. So I waited about 30 min got down and couldnt find blood or the arrow. Go back about 3 hours later end up finding the arrow with no blood or hair. So its a clean miss, I cant tell if he ducked the string, or I hit a branch; either way no deer. So I'm super dissapointed but also happy that I didnt wound it. At home the next day I practicied with my heavy clothes face mask and all that and it didnt cause me to shoot differently. So it was just a miss or a deflection. Had a yearling button buck at 8 yds the next day, wishing that buck had presented the same shot. oh well.
    "If Darwin saw the same sunrise and sunset, that I see from a duck marsh, or my tree stand; then he would know there is a God, and that He created all of it." -Ford-

Post Thanks / Like

We've all missed at one, two, three times in our lives. I always try to replay it in my head and try to figure out what happened and to make sure I don't repeat it the next time. If it's a miss.

String builder/ Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Keep trying and never give up! You can look at it this way, you had one good opportunity. Next time it might be a hit and kill. All I can say Ford, good job to get an opportunity to even get close enough.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that a clean miss is better than wounding. Just a suggestion. If a deer is within normal shooting ranges and just casually walking then don't bleat. I know they do it on TV and IMO it's a complete mistake to take a calm deer and alert them to anything. I know there may be situations where it's necessary, but in 35 years of bowhunting I've never encountered but one situation where I thought it was necessary. That was a big Illinois bruiser chasing a hot doe. He was really moving so I bleated as he went by 15 yards away. Contrary to what I see in hunting shoes there was no stopping him so I didn't get the shot.

Do you know that old saying? "Let sleeping dogs lay" I think it applies to deer, too.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

i will always bleat now, sometimes it takes some loud bleating to get there attention... ive had relaxed deer duck my aarow completely, but have never had one jump the string when looking for the bleat.
    2010 rytera x. apache rest, truglo 5pin. 8in shockbocker 1000 stabilizer. norway g2 string tamer Huch-n-Son strings
    2010 rytera z apache carbon rest axt primal x5 sight

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

i missed a fat doe this morning just after first light. deflected bad and went way over her back. ya win some and lose some.
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HawgEnvy View Post
    ya win some and lose some.
    Are you talking about arrows and broadheads?
    Firecat 400

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MLN1963 View Post
    Are you talking about arrows and broadheads?
    that,too. ya know,i can handle missing a deer. but not being able to recover my arrow just irks me beyond belief and i get all OCD about it. drives me nuts!
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice guys. i'm dissapointed about the miss, but happy to be in range of deer and just seeing them is a good thing. I plan on borrowing some lumenoks from a friend, one to track the shot better, and to find the arrow after the hit or miss. Its not fool proof but it might give me a better chance of seeing the hit. Every deer I've seen has been at dusk, hard to track the arrow flight or find the arrow with crashing around the woods scaring everything away.
    Passed up a small doe and a spike with only one horn. Looking back at it may have wanted to shoot the spike. He was at least 2 yrs old from body size, but his one horn grew a 4 inch nub, not really even a point, and the other side never grew, it wasnt broke off, just looked bald. Hate to waste a buck tag though so I held off. He isnt good for the gene pool though.
    "If Darwin saw the same sunrise and sunset, that I see from a duck marsh, or my tree stand; then he would know there is a God, and that He created all of it." -Ford-