Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New guy with exile questions

Post Thanks / Like

Got another question for yall, I bought the 45-60lb draw, for deer/hog hunting ill be maxing the draw out. Im curious as to what grain arrow/broadhead combo I should be looking for? Should I be shooting the same grain arrow for hunting as the ones I practice with?

Post Thanks / Like

Before answering I'd have to know what arrow you are practicing with.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tx_medic View Post
    Got another question for yall, I bought the 45-60lb draw, for deer/hog hunting ill be maxing the draw out. Im curious as to what grain arrow/broadhead combo I should be looking for? Should I be shooting the same grain arrow for hunting as the ones I practice with?
    yes.when i buy arrows i buy them in a dozen,i use 8 for hunting and 4 for practice.from what i have been reading a heavy arrow would be best for hog hunting because they have thick skin.something in 450 grn and up.total arrow weight

Post Thanks / Like

Right now im practicing with easton carbon raiders 55-70, im pretty sure they are only sold at dicks..

Post Thanks / Like

OK, you can hunt with those. They are plenty heavy for hunting. Somw things you should know (learn) though. Choose broadheads that are the same wight as your practice (field) tips. Make sure the fletching (vanes) are either helical or straight/offset.

When you install the broadheads onto the arrows you need to spin-test them to ensure that they don't have any wobble. There are various ways to spin the arrows. You can buy a spin checker. You can find a flat surface such as a coffee table. You can just stand the arrow up almost vertical with the broadhead in the palm of one hand while supporting it between two fingernails of the other hand and blow on the vanes to get it to spin. If the tip wobbles you'll feel it. You'll likely feel the tip trying to bore a hole in your palm, too, LOL.

Now that you're this far you noew need a copy of Easton's Tuning Guide. I believe we have links to it in the Tuning Forum. This is an indispensible piece of gear that will come in handy for many years. It covers almost anything you need to kow about basic setups to several good methods of tuning the bow/arrow combination. Read it and use it.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Talked to Martin customer service about the trg/sos system and getting it replaced. They said Id have to take it to a proshop and have them call customer service saying they will fix it. Problem is customer service is not open weekends, and thats the only time id be able to go.

I guess Im gonna have to order the parts myself now to fix it, does anyone know thw exact part numbers /parts I need to replace it?

Post Thanks / Like

Talked to Martin customer service about the trg/sos system and getting it replaced. They said Id have to take it to a proshop and have them call customer service saying they will fix it. Problem is customer service is not open weekends, and thats the only time id be able to go.

I guess Im gonna have to order the parts myself now to fix it, does anyone know thw exact part numbers /parts I need to replace it?
    That is not cool, they sent me mine to the house. I spoke with Ryan Martin but it shouldn't matter who it was. I spoke to Brandon and Joel in the past too and both were pretty good about sending parts to the house. Now if it was cams or something I could see their point, but not a TRG and cable slide. I swapped it out in about 5 minutes. I would call them back and ask them politely to send it directly to you explaining that you are mechanically able to make such a simple swap and it would be a real inconvenience not to mention costly for something you can easily handle yourself. Even offer to send back the TRG if they want it.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

The STS is part # 8897. Cable slide is BP-50. Cable rod is CG7C for the carbon rod and CG5 for the doglegged steel one; either will work, but the CG-5 might give you more options for adjusting fletching clearance.

By the way, Mark made a good suggestion about asking about shipping the parts directly to you. These are about as easy as pie to swap. Be sure and ask how long the rod should be if you get that. Don't want to get one that's too short.
    Last edited by bfisher; 10-25-2011 at 06:34 AM.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    By the way, Mark made a god suggestion about asking about shipping the parts directly to you. These are about as easy as pie to swap. Be sure and ask how long the rod should be if you get that. Don't want to get one that's too short.
    I made no God like suggestions, far be it from me to even think such a thing. My only God suggestion would be that you don't be a stranger to him.

If you meant I made a good suggestion, Thanks!
    Last edited by MLN1963; 10-25-2011 at 09:18 AM.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MLN1963 View Post
    I made no God like suggestions, far be it from me to even think such a thing. My only God suggestion would be that you don't be a stranger too him.

If you meant I made a good suggestion, Thanks!
    Yes, a mispelling which has been corrected. I need to proofread before I hit the submit button.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver