Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Catalog

Post Thanks / Like

Understood, thanks for bringing me up to speed.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

Using 2 or even 3 different base cams to achieve the full range of draw lengths isn't really new or misleading. Martin and Hoyt have used this method for many years. As you get down to the minimum draw length on a cam, you begin to lose some effeicency as you are no longer using the cams complete rotation as it was designed. Most shop owners will already know that it takes 2-3 different cams to achieve this range and will put the customer into the base cam that will best suit their needs.

Some manufacturers use draw length specific cams and don't make any statements in their advertising that would warn customers of this prior to a purchase. I've had a few of these people bring in their draw specific bows, asking me to make an adjustment to their draw length. To say they were a little upset to find out they needed a new cam(s) to do that, would be an understatment.

Myself, I'm very curious to see and shoot the new Fury XT cam and see what it has to offer. I think this should be a very good year for Martin if this new cam does what it is supposed to and produces close to the speeds they are claiming while maintaining the smooth draw cycle their single cams have been known for.

Advantage Custom Strings

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by archerx7 View Post
    Using 2 or even 3 different base cams to achieve the full range of draw lengths isn't really new or misleading. Martin and Hoyt have used this method for many years. As you get down to the minimum draw length on a cam, you begin to lose some efficiency as you are no longer using the cams complete rotation as it was designed. Most shop owners will already know that it takes 2-3 different cams to achieve this range and will put the customer into the base cam that will best suit their needs.

Some manufacturers use draw length specific cams and don't make any statements in their advertising that would warn customers of this prior to a purchase. I've had a few of these people bring in their draw specific bows, asking me to make an adjustment to their draw length. To say they were a little upset to find out they needed a new cam(s) to do that, would be an understatement.

Myself, I'm very curious to see and shoot the new Fury XT cam and see what it has to offer. I think this should be a very good year for Martin if this new cam does what it is supposed to and produces close to the speeds they are claiming while maintaining the smooth draw cycle their single cams have been known for.
    Using 2 or 3 cams to get results isn't misleading. But those manufactures stated that you get this draw range with one cam and another with another cam. But IMO Martin is misleading in the current catalog because they don't say that there are two cams and what cam gives a specific range. Say Joe Blow sees a bow listed on EBay, Cabela's, Bass Pro, Dicks, Eders or many other mail order sites. He orders one up without knowing there are two cams and he or she may be mighty pissed when they find out they can't get to the DL they saw advertised. Sure, if they go into a knowledgeable shop like yours they get the right one, but not everyone has a local shop and mail order is the way of the world these days.

The Fury XT cam looks a lot like Diamond's Throttle cam.
    Last edited by MLN1963; 10-27-2011 at 06:27 AM.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

Your point is well taken Mark. They had an oversight and didn't mention the two cam sizes in the new catalog. I'm sure they aren't going to scrap those catalog now and make up a new one. It is going to create some problems. One can only hope that people do their homework and find these things out, but we know that isn't going to happen either. Unfortunately, for the most part, it is the uninformed that do most of the on-line or mail ordering. Presumably to save a few bucks which ultimately ends up costing them more in the long run.

Archeryx7, I hear ya about draw length specific cams. They have the advantage of being more efficient at any given draw length, but as you mention, a lot of people end up finding that what they thought was the right draw for them is not and end up changing the whole works. That's why I never recommend such setups for new or inexperienced shooters. It leaves them with no way to experiment and find something closer to what they should be drawing.

In both cases above, they are just a couple reasons why people should patronize a good shop, at least in the beginning. Once one gets a couple decades of experience then go on line. By that time one also finds that the local proshop isn't really all that bad a place to go. Not only can they service equipment, but have enough stock that things can be tried out before buying.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Over and over the common theme is Martin had an oversight, it was just a mistake, these things happen, blah, blah, blah. Don't you get sick and tired of that? Once again the customer is doing the research and finding things out.

I like my Martin bow don't get me wrong, it's all the other crap that goes with it that makes me wonder how this 62 year old company can let so much slip through the cracks and still be in business?
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

Funny thing is you are the one complaining over and over about it. Maybe you should go work for Martin so it will be perfect.

Post Thanks / Like

I just don't sugar coat it. I just get sick of all the people making excuses like it is their child or something. I don't think my addition would result in perfection but it certainly couldn't hurt. At one point in my career it was my job to find errors in technical documents, procedures in manuals, find better ways and such. Many lives depended on it so i took it seriously. You know what they say, you can take the boy outta the farm but you can't take the farm outta the boy. I can tell you that a very, very large dealer of their's is pretty disappointed as well. He said there has been a lot of personnel changes recently so maybe there is hope?
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MLN1963 View Post
    . He said there has been a lot of personnel changes recently so maybe there is hope?
    yep martin go a new sales guy in order to take care of all the reps who were not doing there job and to really try to help sales

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1608905

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MLN1963 View Post
    Over and over the common theme is Martin had an oversight, it was just a mistake, these things happen, blah, blah, blah. Don't you get sick and tired of that? Once again the customer is doing the research and finding things out.

I like my Martin bow don't get me wrong, it's all the other crap that goes with it that makes me wonder how this 62 year old company can let so much slip through the cracks and still be in business?
    OK, so instead of beating on a dead horse here why don't you make a call to Martin and relay your thoughts to Terry or Ryan personally. Maybe the owners need to hear from more of their customers stating their shortcomings.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    OK, so instead of beating on a dead horse here .
    come on barry,beating on dead horses is fun and stress releving.i just wont recomend beating on one that is still going it might kick back.lol