Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Catalog

Post Thanks / Like

Barry, I have spoken to Ryan. That is as far up the chain as I got. Also, that comment wasn't aimed directly at you, it covers a lot of people. I was one of those people when I first got my bow, I have since removed my rose colored glasses.

I'll take a chill pill for a moment. How about that new Pantera, it sure looks sweet. I wonder when they will be in the stores and what they cost?
    Last edited by MLN1963; 10-27-2011 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Info added.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MLN1963 View Post
    Barry, I have spoken to Ryan. That is as far up the chain as I got. Also, that comment wasn't aimed directly at you, it covers a lot of people. I was one of those people when I first got my bow, I have since removed my rose colored glasses.

I'll take a chill pill for a moment. How about that new Pantera, it sure looks sweet. I wonder when they will be in the stores and what they cost?
    I never take anything personally Mark, unless it is directed so. If you talked to Ryan then that's about as high as you can get. Without putting yourself out on a limb did you get any satisfaction? No details, please. I don't want to see another episode like we went through with Sonny.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

PM coming your way after I eat.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

NO, that's not good enough.

Keep the commercially sensitive stuff to yourself (if there is any), but after all the bleating you've been doing about 'Martin got this wrong and that wrong and what a disaster those pictures are' the least you can do is let us know what Ryan thought about your input.
    Dedicated Finger Shooter.

Shadowcat(s) with Barnsdale limbs: Davis The System, Free Flyte rest.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default what i keep not reading from the martin militia on here is.............

I don't know if it's getting overlooked or members on here afraid to really say this, so I will

1. will there new cams and redesigned bows really hit their advertised speed......?
    2. Will there limbs actually hold up.
    3. Will there bows have a quiet sound to them without having to spend a ton of money on sound dampners or the loudness that is often reported. I have a diamond black ice that is freaky quiet without anything on it.

If these 3 things happen to the lineup for 2012 I will get another Martin. I will wait and see

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WestMichiganBowhunter View Post
    I don't know if it's getting overlooked or members on here afraid to really say this, so I will

1. will there new cams and redesigned bows really hit their advertised speed......?
    2. Will there limbs actually hold up.
    3. Will there bows have a quiet sound to them without having to spend a ton of money on sound dampners or the loudness that is often reported. I have a diamond black ice that is freaky quiet without anything on it.

If these 3 things happen to the lineup for 2012 I will get another Martin. I will wait and see
    I'd like to post some input to these questions, but don't take any of it as making excuses for Martin.

1. I've shot compound bows for almost 40 years, long before there was any such thing as IBO ratings and/or a concern for speed; when 200 fps was a real fast setup. Been a shooter for 4 different companies since 1993. During that time I've had about 26 different bows. Using calculations and adjusted for the difference in my draw length, draw weight, and arrow weight I've had only one bow that reached it's IBO speed rating---2004 Martin SlayR with Nitrous B cams. Most all the other bows were 20-30 fps slower.

That's one reason I put no stock in IBO rated speeds. I used to chrono my bows and try tweaking the last FPS out of them. I don't do it any more and rarely even chrono them knowing the results will be disappointing. I've learned to knock 20 fps off the top and calculate for my specs accordingly. I've shot deer with 450gr arrows doing 180 fps and I've shot 315gr arrows doing 235fps to 275fps and the results in all cases were the same---complete pass throughs.

In other words, whether the 2012 bows make speed is of little concern to me as I know that very very few bows from any of the companies do. Unitl the ATA sets up and enforces testing standards, maybe by an independent testing facility, you're not likely to see much change within the industry.

2. It's common knowledge that Martin had limbs problems over the last few years. No need to hash that out. They have changed the limb design and construction to come up with a better limb. Limb failures for 2011 have been pretty well solved now with the Power Tuff limbs. Yes, you do hear of some because there is the internet now with thousands and thousands of users. Not like past years when you heard of one or two a year from the local pro shop.

Over four decades I've had a riser break, a bent riser, two limb failures, new strings just snap, and various other little mishaps. These are mechanical things and prone to a certain amount of failure. Some things are beyond my control so the only way to ensure having no mishaps is to just give up shooting, and that isn't going to happen.

3. Ah, the noise issue. So many things can make a bow noisy there's too many to list. Are you bsing this question on what's been reported or your own personal experience? Most all bows are fairly quiet today if set up and adjusted correctly---cam timing, etc. Bear in mind, also, that any given bow is going to be noisier shooting lighter arrows and being pushed for speed. Is it the bow or the accessories? That's why I don't rely on people from the internet for input. You never know their experience level.

Bows have made noise since the beginning of time. No way around it. That's why there are all these noise reduction accessories being made and sold. And they are used on all makes and models of bows. Pro shops are in business to sell archery equipment and service afterwards. Most will let you shoot bows prior to buying. Try them. Different makes and models. Don't buy any that don't meet your expectations. When you shoot one you like that's the bow you buy; not one out of a new box. The one in the box might be different.

Lastly, I'm not making excuses for any one company or praising any. I'm just speaking of general experiences I've had during my career. A total of about 35 bows from 10 different companies. A few are out of business now, but they all made good bows for their time.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

The most I've ever spent to quiet a bow is 1 dollar, have yet to own a bow that took more than a set of catwhiskers to make the noise disappear.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think anyone knows yet. My Firecat 400 was $599 (MSRP) last year. The "new" version Cougar FC Pro is basically the same thing so I would bet it is priced about the same. The Cougar is available in dual cam or single cam, so to my pea-sized brain they are very much like the FC400 and FC360 of last year. That is why I think they will be priced about the same.
    Last edited by MLN1963; 10-28-2011 at 06:09 PM.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

One other bow that looks like has been dropped from the lineup along with the Shadowcat is the Seeker.
    Don.
    I am sponsered by Louie Rangle-- Gator Feathers by Gator vanes...www.gatorvanes.com Deer Crossing Target shafts. Specialty Archery Timberdoodle ll rest. Bow String Depot Cables and String.
    I Shoot a 2012-SepterV and a 2011-Shadowcat
    I shoot Bowhunter, not barebow--fingers non-sights.
    Enter-ZESTY at checkout at Deer Crossing Archery- http://deercrossingarchery.com/
    For a 10% discount on all products, other than ECO Hunter shafts.

Post Thanks / Like

The Seeker is in the Rytera line. Is will not appear in the Martin catalog just like the Alien-Z, X and Nemesis aren't.