Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: impersonate a tree

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

Default impersonate a tree

apparently it pays to just walk into the woods and stand in a clump of trees blending in. I went to the woods about 5:10pm and stood in a clump of trees. Screwed in my hanger,hung my bow and leaned against a tree. 40min later a fawn w/o spots pops out of the creekbottom thicket and walks within 12yds of me w/o seeing me. I looked back and mamma was headed my way on the same path. I lifted the bow to draw and she saw me. She took a few leaps to catch up to baby and I came to full draw and anchored by the time she stopped. both stood in a clearing,mamma checking for danger,with my pin nestle in the crease of her left shoulder. I released cleanly,but mamma tried to duck the arrow at the shot. But she wasn't quite fast enough. The arrow penetrated her shoulder and deflected into the bottom of her spine,dropping her in her tracks 15yds away. I had to put another arrow in her,which I couldn't find(insert swear words here),but I'll look again tomorrow. I'll post pics after I get out of the woods tomorrow. My second public land deer this year. So find an area the deer are feeding in and just stand there looking like a tree. It works. And being eye level and that close to an animal,really racks your nerves. Man,I LOVE BOWHUNTING!
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Great job Hawg, Now where is all the deer steaks for your buddies?

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

you gotta get Brad to take some of your load off so you can show me how effective those F15's are.
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

Post Thanks / Like

A big Congrats hawg!. Nothing beat hunting from the ground!..........

I'm scared to be up in a tree stand.

Post Thanks / Like

thats how i like to diy.get in the woods and blend,move slow,track and hope for a shot.

nice shooting slick

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Double S View Post

I'm scared to be up in a tree stand.
    16ft. off the ground is nice. Congrats on the deer Hawg!
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

My first 4 deer were off the ground! Its a blast! I do have a stand up this year though, about 8 foot up. Lots of side and back cover keep the deer oblivious. Im going back to the ground this weekend though i think, or hanging another stand.
    2010 rytera x. apache rest, truglo 5pin. 8in shockbocker 1000 stabilizer. norway g2 string tamer Huch-n-Son strings
    2010 rytera z apache carbon rest axt primal x5 sight

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the congrats,guys. 16ft is a nice happy medium for a treestand. i'm skeered,too. not nearly as bad as i used to be. more nervous about heights than scared.

i went to another spot this morning. i wish the wind would've been right.between 7:15-8am i saw 5 PIG FAT does and 2 bucks trying to corner them. it was to thick to get a point count on them but they weren't anything spectacular. nothing im shooting tthis close to the rut. once they got out of sight,i backed out before my cover was blown.

soon as i finish this tasty treat,im headed back out. fresh tenderloing cut in chuncks,fried in butter with ONIONS and a light seasoning,wrapped in a totilla shell then fried some more. HEAVENLY!

Post Thanks / Like

I was just kidding about being scared .......I BROWN my Trousers when my feet leave mother earth. Just kidding. Because of my Permanent Disability, I try to stay away from possibly injuring my back again. The Doctor states I could become paralyzed. I was Temporarily paralyzed on my right side for a short time before so I stay on the ground. I've never been in a tree stand plus there's not too many tree's where I hunt. Nothing beats a Big Buck rushing in to confront your Rattles and Calls. Thumbs up. It's a thrill. Even if I wore a Tree stand safety harness...just the snap of the harness If I slip a little could snap my back.
    Last edited by Double S; 10-21-2011 at 06:55 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

i gotcha there. my back isn't in such good shape either. there's so much more of an adrenelin rush at eye level. the added difficulty makes it that much more rewarding. especially on public land where it isn't easy hunting anyway. ya know?