Thread: Full Metal Jacket Arrows?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Full Metal Jacket Arrows?

I was wondering how good are the full metal jacket arrows for deer hunting? I have heard carbon is good alloy is good. But which one is the best or is their a best?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah pick your poison. Carbon are durable and dont bend on you. Though will break.
    2010 rytera x. apache rest, truglo 5pin. 8in shockbocker 1000 stabilizer. norway g2 string tamer Huch-n-Son strings
    2010 rytera z apache carbon rest axt primal x5 sight

Post Thanks / Like

I have one friend that swears by them and another that swears at them. Since they have a alloy outer shell if you bend them they don't always go back straight according to some. That is where the carbons have a advantage.

As tough as carbons are I think that is what I will stick with.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigbass1 View Post
    I was wondering how good are the full metal jacket arrows for deer hunting? I have heard carbon is good alloy is good. But which one is the best or is their a best?

Thanks
    One of my friends, who is the most experienced archer/bowhunter I personally know, is on the "swear by them" side. FMJ's are his go-to arrow for big game hunting and he's taken a lot of animals with them.
    You get the higher level of consistent straightness and weight of alloy, along with the durability of carbon in one excellent quality arrow.....but.....for me, I just can't get myself to spend that much on an arrow, and more so, they are too heavy for my set-up perferences.
    2009 Martin Bengal M2 Pro Cam w/factory STS & CCS.....66lbs, 29" DL, 422gr @ 272fps, Winners Choice string/cable, Trophy Taker drop-away Rest, Scott Release
    1996 Martin Firecat XRG Pro Series w/Ultra Sonic wheels.....69lbs, 29" DL, 465gr @ 245fps, w/fingers & Martin leather glove

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RLW View Post
    One of my friends, who is the most experienced archer/bowhunter I personally know, is on the "swear by them" side. FMJ's are his go-to arrow for big game hunting and he's taken a lot of animals with them.
    You get the higher level of consistent straightness and weight of alloy, along with the durability of carbon in one excellent quality arrow.....but.....for me, I just can't get myself to spend that much on an arrow, and more so, they are too heavy for my set-up perferences.
    My thought mirror those above. They are good shafts with plenty of weight for hunting. More than necessary for deer sized game. Spine consistancy is superb, but for the money you can buy 2 dozen Gold Tip or Easton Epics and do quite nicely. The biggest advantage I can see to the FMJ shaft is that, just like aluminum, it pulls a lot easier from 3D targets.

I think it's funny in a way that not so many years ago I got blasted by a lot of guys for buying ACC's. Guys told me that they were too expensive. Today these same guys are paying more for their Carbon Express arrows, when IMO the ACC is still a better arrow
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver