Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: puzzled

Post Thanks / Like

if i understand this correct ,the ibo,s r rated at max draw,to achieve those ibo speeds ,is that correct?

Post Thanks / Like

Bow set at 70 lb draw 30"draw lenght with 350 grain arrow for IBO

Post Thanks / Like

I think bowtech and one other use 29" and 70# but 30"/70# is the norm from what I have seen.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cerebus111 View Post
    No haven't chrono them...just by feel I know its not exact..lol..BTW MLN where are you in SW OK...I'm in Del City
    I'm not sure you will feel 20 or so fps. If your stinger is a 2011 or 2012 rated in the 316 to 318 fps range and your silencer rated at 335 fps or so I believe you would need a chrono with out a doubt. That said the Stinger fps drop down to 304 fps in 2010 and older. That is a bit of a difference in base performance vs. the silencer. I still say you need a chrono but if this is the case there may be a problem w/ the set up of the silencer. Just my opinion.
    Chasman, 2010 Martin Bengal 60#,Parker Phoenix 60#, Parker Hornet 70#. Hutch-n-Son strings.'Makes a lot of sense if you don't think about it!

Post Thanks / Like

I have to agree with the guys. Unless you do a ton of shooting and do so all year, every year it's virtually impossible to tell as much as 30 fps difference. Our eyes just aren't that good. A few years back some friends watched me shooting a new bow and commented on how fast it was. They figured it was clocking close to 300 fps, but in reality it was shooting about 264 fps. A chrono is the only way to be accurate with speed estimates. Even these on-line calculators can be off by as much as 30 fps because they use advertised IBO speeds as a basis when these are usually quite inflated.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

i agree with everyone. IBO is over rated, and not always accurately reported. The only thing to get any where near ibo is to max out everything, and shoot with nothing on the string. If your dimmensions arent max and bare string, you are completly waisting your time trying to figure out speed with out a chrono. Once you do, you will probably be surprised at the results.
    "If Darwin saw the same sunrise and sunset, that I see from a duck marsh, or my tree stand; then he would know there is a God, and that He created all of it." -Ford-

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ford View Post
    i agree with everyone. IBO is over rated, and not always accurately reported. The only thing to get any where near ibo is to max out everything, and shoot with nothing on the string. If your dimmensions arent max and bare string, you are completly waisting your time trying to figure out speed with out a chrono. Once you do, you will probably be surprised at the results.
    There is a lot of truth to this.

There are multiple ways to come to an educated guess about the performance of a bow, calculators or running the numbers by hand and so on. Although you won't get laboratory results, you will get an idea if the bow is living up to it's claims. There are many brands that come very close or exceed the IBO numbers given. There are other brands who don't. The brand you just sold has a reputation for not meeting the claims, the brand you replaced it with has an excellent track record of being right at the mark. If I buy something that says it does something I expect it to do just that.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

I have never achieved the IBO that Martin states on any of their bows and I have been shooting them for 23 years. When it says 315-320, I usually always end up about 2-3 fps lower than the minimum such as 312-313. With my '09 Shadowcat at 315-320, I got 312. With my AlienX at 330-340, I got right at 330. It has nothing to do with tuning. I know how to properly do that. Even had Crackers do several over the years. Always ended up approx. 5fps under what Martin says. As a rule of thumb, I tell my customers that when it say 330, assume 325 and you won't be disappointed. I haven't setup a bow yet for Martin that has made the peak.