Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My other addiction other than archery...Post yours please

Post Thanks / Like

What does forest bred mean? Does that mean he was a wild horse sorta like the wild mustangs in the USA?
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MLN1963 View Post
    What does forest bred mean? Does that mean he was a wild horse sorta like the wild mustangs in the USA?
    Yes, pretty much, although unlike wild mustangs, all NF's belong to someone.

All the ponies in the New forest are owned by commoners, and they are the only ones allowed to run them on the forest, which means let them wander wherever they want. To keep the breed as pure as possible, only stallions approved (not the correct word, but I can't think of the actual term), by the Verderers (a commoners council) can produce offspring that are called New Forest ponies. A pony conceived, delivered and raised in the New Forest can be called a forest run pony. So, Harry's sire and dam are both of known New Forest stock and he was born and raised, until weaning, in the forest.

BTW, Harry is just his field name, his prper name is Brock Aristocrat the 2nd, and he is from the oldest herd continuously run on the forest. The herd still belongs to the Young family, who established it back in the 1860's.

Here's a link to a society that promotes the virtues of the New Forest pony. Shirley Young, who is on the committee, is Harry's breeder: http://www.nfed.co.uk/nfppg.htm

Obviously I am a New Forest fan, otherwise a 6' man would not usually be seen riding a 14.2hh pony, at least not these days, but I suspect my grandfather or great grandfather would have been delighted to own such a sturdy little chap. I love him dearly, and Shirley believes that H and I are perfectly matched.......this means we are both a little nuts, with a bit of a wild streak
    Dedicated Finger Shooter.

Shadowcat(s) with Barnsdale limbs: Davis The System, Free Flyte rest.

Post Thanks / Like

A bit of irony here. He's from the OLDEST breeder who is a YOUNG.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

LOL! I have never put those two together. Outstanding.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice looking Pony, Neil.
    I did the rodeo thing for about 2 years, team ropeing.
    I had an awsome guy I roped off of. He was an apendex-quarter horse, Poco Buneo blood on his Sires side and Throughbread on his mom's side.
    He came off the track as a 4 year old in a claiming race. He was so cowie it was unreal, he would cut cattle on his own if you let him in the pin with them.
    I will try to scan a few pics and post them up.
    Don.
    I am sponsered by Louie Rangle-- Gator Feathers by Gator vanes...www.gatorvanes.com Deer Crossing Target shafts. Specialty Archery Timberdoodle ll rest. Bow String Depot Cables and String.
    I Shoot a 2012-SepterV and a 2011-Shadowcat
    I shoot Bowhunter, not barebow--fingers non-sights.
    Enter-ZESTY at checkout at Deer Crossing Archery- http://deercrossingarchery.com/
    For a 10% discount on all products, other than ECO Hunter shafts.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Don, he's my best buddy.

I don't have time for more than one horse, but if I did I would love two more. First, an Arabian, preferably a Crabbet or Polish and second, a Quarter horse.

We have a Quarter horse stud not too far from where I live, but they are incredibly expensive over here, as they are a bit of a status horse.

I recently read one of Monty Roberts books, where he talks about the rodeo competitions he rode as a kid. He is full of admiration for his horses and gives them most of the credit for the wins he had over the years.

The strange thing with horses over here, is that it's mainly women that ride. I only know of two other guys round here that ride, yet there must be a couple of hundred women that have horses, though I wouldn't compliment what they do by calling it 'riding'....horse sitting would probably be a better description

Spiker: I'm sorry but I can't see your pictures, I don't know if it's my computer.