Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: has anyone experienced this ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default has anyone experienced this ?

my vision has been deteriorating ,i have been wearing glasses ,but i cant shoot my bow with them on,this past week i hooked up with some contacts, well my first shots were 1 foot high and 1 foot left, prior to this new thing i was wackin xs i had hoped i could wear the contacts hunting, and with this upset have lost my confidence.my pins were clear as day, but at twenty yards,the target was a blur , i took them out and` with a little time to over come the shock i am almost back to what i was , any input would help alot , if u have had this happen ,

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I have worn contacts for years. I remember the first couple months, it was a time of getting use to them. It takes a while for the eyes to adjust. I would get some rewetting drops to keep on you for the first months. The drops will help keep them wet so they don't blur. Once your eyes get use to them you should be able to shoot real well. I have bifocal contacts now and I am able to hit at 20yards as well as 70yards.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Im rocking 20/10 vision, no problem here!
    2010 rytera x. apache rest, truglo 5pin. 8in shockbocker 1000 stabilizer. norway g2 string tamer Huch-n-Son strings
    2010 rytera z apache carbon rest axt primal x5 sight

Post Thanks / Like

I had RK surgery done when I was around 23. I was tired of Contacts popping out or I would leave them on too long or have carry saline solution with me. If I blinked too fast, a contact would pop out. I am still 20/20 and I'm now 36. The best money I ever spent. RK is outdated now...it's all lasers now I believe. They just used a knife on me.

Post Thanks / Like

i wear multifocal glasses pretty much all the time. need them to drive safely, to read, watch TV, work etc. have worn them for about 5 years. i shoot barebow and cant shoot without them. of the 3 pairs i own, there is only one pair that i can shoot with. the other 2 cause distortion and strange images and curves when i aim. having a high anchor and short draw length causes the string to contact the frame of one pair, which in turn moves the frame into my line of vision. an optometrist suggested contacts (with a distance lens) for shooting, and carrying readers for closer stuff like writing score cards, adjusting nocks, checking plungers and rests etc. have learnt to use my binoculars while wearing my glasses. i have 3d nationals in a few weeks and will be trying contacts for the first time after then. happy shooting.

Post Thanks / Like

yep i kinna think its the distortion thing fer sure, i took them out after` the post i made took a few shots, to get my confidences back up , but i am busting xs again , wow really a disappointment, i did shoot my rifle when i got them ,had to really adjust the scope , A LOT, but i was shooting better then ever . guess i will still give it ago when i get home from werk tonight,i really want these things to werk,i was amazed how much better i can see,my pins were clear, but the target, looked like it was in a fog, and shocked as i was i was shooting that much different.thanks for all the positive input . i hope this werks out

Post Thanks / Like

I wore bifocal glasses too. Switched to contacts this year, but went with single vision contacts. They corrected my distant vision, but I still need reading glasses. Fortunately, I can see my pins just fine, and the targets are pretty clear as well. The peep however is just a faint blur. When using bifocal contacts, they make one eye see distant, one eye see close. Sounds to me like your shooting eye is the one they used for your close up vision, and the other is for distance. You might ask if you can get contacts that are the other way around and see what happens. Also, keeping "rewetting drops" is a VERY good idea as mentioned before. I've had my contacts since March, and still carry the drops with me wherever I go.
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like there are a lot of us old farts on here. Everybody has similar problems with different solutions. I'm 64 now and have worn glasses (near sighted) since about the age of 10. Been through the hard and soft contact thing a long time ago. I guess about 15 years ago I had RK on my eyes just like DoubleS. My eyes were good for distance, but I did need reading glasses (bifocals). Everything was good for about 7 years then my eyes started to go south. Mine actually over corrected for distance and now I'm far sighted. Then I found pins getting blurry. My solution for the blurry pins was to get rid of multipin sights and go with an HHA slider. This helped for a while, but I ended up getting a Specialty peep with a Verifer lens. #5 or #6 work equally well for me.

I checked into getting Lasik, but have been told that my corneas are too thin. I thought about going to another outfit for a second opinion, but I'll take the word of a guy that refuses to take my money just to do it. Only gettin one set of eyes so err on the conservative side.

I got new glasses in February in the hope that it would give me some added help at distance, but I just can't see through a peep with them. My eyes aren't real bad at distance, but enough that my shooting suffers a bit. Just can't aim as finely as I'd like. I got a 2X and 4X scope lens for the HHA and that helped a lot, but not completely. I do use the Verifier lens while shooting the scope, too. Somebody is going to say
    "Clarifier", but the Verifier is what works the best. I've tried them all.

So now I'm left with the Verifier (scope lens or no) and shooting without my glasses. Maybe somebody will come up with a better answer someday, but with my luck it will be after I'm dead and gone. Till then I just play the hand that's been dealt to me in life. I'm sure not going to hang up the bows because I can't see. Just don't be standing too close to me on the line, though. LOL.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    Till then I just play the hand that's been dealt to me in life. I'm sure not going to hang up the bows because I can't see. Just don't be standing too close to me on the line, though. LOL.

Thats the best thing I've heard in a long time.
    Thanks Barry!

Post Thanks / Like

hey guys thanks for all the positive input. its raining now ,no shoot tonight anyways, i am not giving up on this , i am gonna lick it fer sure, just how much and when lol.Barry yer thoughts on the vision problem has given me a idea, i am going to build a blind with corrective windows in it and retire , problem solved!