Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Will this set up work?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    45
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Will this set up work?

    I currently have a martin cheetah set at 50 pounds with about a 26 inch draw. Can i use a redhead gator expandable with this bow and have good results on deer? My farthest shot will be around 30 yards but more than likely it will be about 10 yards. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    45
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    O i also have muzzy's that i made into a two blade by taking one blade out, would i be better off using these?

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    487
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I would stay away from mechanicals, even if you were drawing 70 lbs or more...go with your muzzys

  4. #4
    Senior Member gravedigger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    forest grove,oregon
    Posts
    3,761
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coyotehunter11 View Post
    O i also have muzzy's that i made into a two blade by taking one blade out, would i be better off using these?
    so why make the muzzy into a 2 blade?i would think since it was ment to be a 3 blade your flight path might be all sorts of wacky,now thats just a guess.how do they fly with your modifaction

  5. #5
    Super Moderator bfisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Middletown, Pa, USA
    Posts
    11,552
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I shoot similar specs, although a 27" draw and have been bowhunting for many many years. From a personal standpoint I would not consider any mechanical head with anything less than 60#. Not that they won't kill an animal, but that so much energy is used to punch through the hide and open the blades that penetration is impeded quite a bit. The broadhead would probably get to the vitals, but probably no exit hole in a lot of cases which means a harder tracking job. The result might mean more animals lost due to less blood trail. Just not worth taking the chance.

    There are too many good fixed blade heads that would do a better job and give you complete pass through in most cases or at least an exit wound. I would opt for a fairly narrow (< 1 1/4") three blade head such as Muzzy or InnerLoc. Even these or any other good head isn't going to guarantee anything. There are just too many variables involved in hunting situations, but they would sure up your odds. You owe that much to the game you hunt.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    45
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gravediggermtv View Post
    so why make the muzzy into a 2 blade?i would think since it was ment to be a 3 blade your flight path might be all sorts of wacky,now thats just a guess.how do they fly with your modifaction
    Actually it was a 4 blade muzzy mx-4 but i couldnt get it to fly right no matter what i did to my bow. So i took one of the blades out and found that it flew perfectly. I guess il stick with them because i dont have to worry about them not opening and i know they are rock solid.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    45
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    I shoot similar specs, although a 27" draw and have been bowhunting for many many years. From a personal standpoint I would not consider any mechanical head with anything less than 60#. Not that they won't kill an animal, but that so much energy is used to punch through the hide and open the blades that penetration is impeded quite a bit. The broadhead would probably get to the vitals, but probably no exit hole in a lot of cases which means a harder tracking job. The result might mean more animals lost due to less blood trail. Just not worth taking the chance.

    There are too many good fixed blade heads that would do a better job and give you complete pass through in most cases or at least an exit wound. I would opt for a fairly narrow (< 1 1/4") three blade head such as Muzzy or InnerLoc. Even these or any other good head isn't going to guarantee anything. There are just too many variables involved in hunting situations, but they would sure up your odds. You owe that much to the game you hunt.
    Thanks for your response bfisher, as well as everybody else that helped out. I will just stick with my muzzy this year, or i might just pick up some magnus stinger or stinger buzzcut. They are supposed to be a very sturdy head and really sharp. Has anybody had any personal experience with the magnus stinger?

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    390
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I got nothing first hand on magnus, though ive hear mixed results. I couldnt think they would be bad. I do think that maybe a muzzy 3 blade would be better thn your homemade 2 bladers. And a little more tuning may straighten out your flight. Check out broadhead tuning and see wat you can do with it. Also it is generally assumed that 3 blade heads penitrate better than 4.
    2010 rytera x. apache rest, truglo 5pin. 8in shockbocker 1000 stabilizer. norway g2 string tamer Huch-n-Son strings
    2010 rytera z apache carbon rest axt primal x5 sight

  9. #9
    Senior Member gravedigger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    forest grove,oregon
    Posts
    3,761
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coyotehunter11 View Post
    Actually it was a 4 blade muzzy mx-4 but i couldnt get it to fly right no matter what i did to my bow. So i took one of the blades out and found that it flew perfectly. I guess il stick with them because i dont have to worry about them not opening and i know they are rock solid.
    nice.i wanted to try some 4 blade bh but if i didnt like how they flew i really wasent wanting to be stuck with them.but since they seam to work with on blade out i might have to give them a go........thanks for the info

  10. #10
    Senior Member HawgEnvy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Posts
    1,463
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    step away from the expandables. especially at your poundage. if you want a 2 blade,try a magnus or Steel force. the Steelforce flew better for me than the Magnus. but honestly,it sounds as though you need some minor tuning adjustments. i know,personally,and have heard from others that haven't been able to get the MX-4's to tune very easily. Slick Tricks fly very well out of my set up with same P.O.I as FP. i'd recommend them. but its all opinion based. unless your bow is properly tuned,you'll likely have flight issues with most broadheads.an improperly tuned bow and a large fixed blade that tends to wind plane will really give you problems. good luck
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •