Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How did you get into archery?

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How did you get into archery?

Hey guys and gals, How did you get into archery? I started when I was 12 years old. I would shoot with my cousins. They were all good shots and that impressed me. They only had re-curves. I remember them waiting till dark, then turning the outside flood light on and aiming for the garbage cans. At that time I didn't know that they were shooting at a skunk. Of course they had to hit it and that ruined the shooting for a good week. Years pass and I hadn't shot. My son asked me to get into archery and here we are. Been shooting for about 10 years. And enjoying it immensely.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

When I was 3 years old I begged my dad to buy me a bow since he was just starting to bowhunt. Finally when I was 4 he bought me a fiberglass compound made by Bear. Been shooting ever since.

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

in '94,my younger brother had a bow given to him by a friend of his that bought a new one. it was a Bear Super Strike XLR. then my older brother picked one up from a guy he worked with a few days later. then a couple days after that, a friend of mine asked if i'd trade a .22 and a PSE F2(or maybe an F4...IDK) Maxis for my electric guitar. that was in the spring of '94. at the end of the summer i decided to buy a new one. it was a Bear One cam. i took 14 deer that year and 13 the next. i was hooked and still am,though i havent been able to rack up that many kills since.
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

Post Thanks / Like

Started when I was 17 years old to extend my Deer season,been hooked ever since.Now 57 years old.
    I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.. Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.

Post Thanks / Like

i started pushing elk for my best friend during bow hunting time about 3 years ago and had a blast.when we got back i shot his 90's bengal and loved it.then i shot his 2009 bengal and loved that more....so i went out and bought a brand new 2010 bengal..this was over a years time that i thought about buying one then i bought one.and im not going to stop anytime soon.i want at least 5 or 6 more bengals,then i want to get 2 or 3 E bows

Post Thanks / Like

I was at a Martial Arts training festival in Dublin (Eire) in 1986, and one of the optional activities was archery. The guy teaching was named Mitch and he worked at the American Embassy in Dublin. After five minutes watching me throw arrows all over the place with a recurve, he got out a compound and said 'try this', that was better, I was able to make nice groups in the gold. He asked if I shot pistols or rifles, I said both and he said "that explains your grip".

When I got home from Dublin, I visited the local archery shop (one of only three in the UK at the time) and bought an end of line Hoyt, with a bunch of Bear aluminium arrows a glove a bracer and a foam target, took it home and taught myself archery. Been at it ever since.
    Dedicated Finger Shooter.

Shadowcat(s) with Barnsdale limbs: Davis The System, Free Flyte rest.

Post Thanks / Like

When I was 10 my parents bought my brother and me a 35# fiberglass recurve for Christmas. Knowing nothing and hardly being able to draw the thing allwe did was fling arrows around. Fast forward to 1971 and I bought myself a new Bear Kodiak Hunter and Walmart for $35.00. Had some banana shaped cedar arrows with Bear Razorheads on them and went hunting. Missed 10 deer that year. Joined a local archery club and began to practice, then got into field shooting in '72. Did well, taking first place in my class during my very first shoot. Following year got a used Jennings model I compound target bow and continued the field competitions. Made friends with one state champion who became my coach. Several years and bows later I was seeded 9th in my state. The rest is history.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

I was hooked into archery when my dad used to take me deer hunting. I couldnt hunt as i didnt have a bow but it was fun to sit in the tree while my
    pops hunted. After i got out of the army I bought my brothers old bear compound bow. After that got stolen, the wife and i decided to buy brand
    new bows with our 2010 tax return. We both bought 2010 Bengals. Been shooting ever since(seems like forever ago).
    2010 Rytera Nemesis. 63lbs/29dl 292 fps 384gr arrow. Sword 6 pin sight

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty much got bored with gun hunting,didnt offer a challenge to me anymore so i took up bow hunting and it offer's me what gun hunting doesnt.That's it no extravagant story.
    Last edited by Speedykills; 10-29-2011 at 08:03 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I had one of those green fiberglass Bear? bows as a kid. I entered a shooting contest at a "sportsman's show" in the basement of a city auditorium and shot some moving balloons and stuff and thought that was cool. Nothing ever came of it and guns became my thing. Fast forward 30+ years and my son wanted to hunt. Here we are with two Martin bows and assorted other hunting paraphernalia. He has gotten his first deer with a bow already and the old man is still waiting!
    Firecat 400