Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How did you get into archery?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Speedykills View Post
    Pretty much got bored with gun hunting,didnt offer a challenge to me anymore so i took up bow hunting and it offer's me what gun hunting doesnt.That's it no extravagant story.
    but your story holds so true.i have 3 friend that got into bowhunting this year for the same reson as you.they all pick off great game every year but it is to ez.now they are not getting squat because they have to work and be like ninja to get the meat.lol

Post Thanks / Like

I started shooting while I was young I think 9 or so. Neighborhood friend was older and had a 20# stamped steel compound bow that we used to take turns shooting to see who could get closest to the fence on either side of the property. I got my own D bow around that time. When I graduated 8th grade used the money to buy a 35# recurve bow. Shot that for four years then when I graduated high school I bought my Martin Lynx Magnum with my graduation money. Shot that for awhile toook a 6 year break and bought my Onza this year so I could hunt more states easier and longer.
    BTW I lent the 35# to my cousin and the other day I saw it in his gun closet so I am going to get it back for nostalgias sake.

Post Thanks / Like

The first "bow" I shot was one my buddy and I made as kids out of a sappling tree which we cut grooves into at the ends and tied string to the ends and pulled them as tight as we could without snapping the tree. Then we would look for smaller straight sapplings and cut a groove in the end of them to make a nock and whittle a point on the other end. Some of the better ones might have gone as far as 15 yards. My first real intro to archery was last year when I picked up my bow from a friend who upgraded to a 2010 TR2. I am having just as much fun now as when I was a kid with those homemade bows.
    2012 Alien X

Post Thanks / Like

Well, rifht after Rambo came out I had to run right out & buy a bow like that. At the time I didn't know it was a Martin and thought it was an Oneida so I got the Screaming Eagle. Nobody in town had seen one or knew how to work on it and neither did I. It got used for three months, 5 missed deer and it lived in the closet for the next 18 years. When I went to sell it I was informed that it was a right handed bow that I was shooting left handed, who knew?
    My partner at work had been hounding me to get a compound and get back into hunting for three years before I broke down and got one. Got a killer deal on a new 07 Bowtech Guardian in January 2010 and proceeded to kick butt at the 3D shoots so I put in for tags. Have went through a few other bows (12) since then but still have the trusty Guardian. Got my Antelope last year with it. Archery is so relaxing, don't think I could quit now if I wanted. Was looking at the Firecat 360 but think I will go with a Silencer or Ridge Hunter for my next toy.
    I'm a Lefty

2011 Martin Ridge Hunter
    2012 Rytera Alien Z
    2008 Diamond Marquis
    2008 Diamond Marquis
    2009 Bowtech Sentinel
    2009 Bowtech Sentinel

Post Thanks / Like

3 years ago we asked some friends why they hadn't been diving much, and they told us they were doing 3d archery at the local club in the state forest only a few minutes drive away. never heard of 3d nor knew about an archery club in our town. it's a beautiful 50 acre property.turned up on a club day and had some experienced club members with national and international titles guide me through the basics of shooting a club recurve then a genesis with timbers. went to look at the national 3d titles the following week, where a bow shop guy recommended a browning micro midas to get started. bought one and had it set up for fingers without a sight the next week. at that stage i was still playing competition netball and touch footy and running. went strait to 3d, lost lots of arrows in 6 months before i got it together. next thing, i ruptured an achilles tendon in action on the court. 8 weeks non weight bearing with time off work gave me the opportunity to shoot a lot,and work on form, standing to shoot with a chair taking the weight under my knee. once i got mobile in a brace i upgraded the bow to a hoyt rintec XL and learnt to make my own arrows. as i retired from previous sports 3d barebow appealed to my competitive side and i've improved. i've been with my 3rd bow, now a martin mystic. for a year, and will shoot it at the 3d nationals in 2 weeks in the barebow division.

Post Thanks / Like

I started off at about age 7 or so, shooting recurves at a boy scout camp. Been hooked ever since. Funny part of it was, everyone else was shooting at the big targets, I was shooting at the small target the instructor was using and hit more bullseyes than anyone else. For Christmas that year, I got a fiberglass recurve, and eventually got into compounds about 1988. Now I can't seem to get enough of them.
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

When i was 6 or 7 my grandfather made me a stick and string bow, couple of years later i've made one and played with them for some years. When i was 16 i received a longbow from a cousin, but after "Rambo" my dream was a compound and it wasn't enough. Had to wait about 18 years till they started selling compounds here. In the spring of 2008 i took my first compound bow and later the same year i bought my MOAB. Now i'm starting to like more the trad bows again.
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

Post Thanks / Like

My Father does not hunt or fish but he always appreciated the outdoors and encouraged me to do the same. His father was an avid small game hunter and fisherman. He was also a great story teller and always involved me, at a very young age, in his stories of the outdoors. Making sure I heard every detail of the hunt. Opportunity for my G'pa and me to hunt and fish together was cut short by his early death. But between these two devout men I learned enough to venture out on my own. I quickly learned to love the outdoors and I sought out most anything that could be reason enough to get me in the woods. Archery was initially viewed by me as just another option but it has become far more than that. I am hooked to say the least and mostly enjoy the solitude of the bow hunting experience. Sorry for being so long winded.
    Last edited by cjchasman; 11-02-2011 at 02:42 AM.
    Chasman, 2010 Martin Bengal 60#,Parker Phoenix 60#, Parker Hornet 70#. Hutch-n-Son strings.'Makes a lot of sense if you don't think about it!