Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 09 Moab pro arrived today:)

Post Thanks / Like

Default My 09 Moab pro arrived today:)

I am really happy with it apart from a small misslead detail the seller omitted to mention. Draw length is perfect at 26'' on the M2 cam. However, questions were asked about the draw weight. Seller told me it was set to 45pounds. Humm, have the bow infront of me & the information plate is stating 55-70 pounds. When i draw the bow it feels definitly like 55 pounds.

Am I correct in assuming that this bow is only adjustable between 55-70 or can it be lowered below the 55 pound threshold? If it cannot no problem I will just have to muscle up a little.

There is already a 5mm gap between the riser & the limbs which is telling me that it may well be already set to its minimum. What is the max length that this gap can be set to before I run out of bolt thread??

All advise welcomed

Regards

Wil

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

great bow

if you decide to sell it because it's too much to pull
    let me know
    thanks
    rick

Post Thanks / Like

The general Martin rule that I know is 5 turns out from fully seated limb bolts. There may be exceptions but that is a common theme amongst Martin bows. It should be more than 5 mm since my son's bow is 5 turns out and looks more than that.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

Cool maybe it is nearer 60 pounds. Will have it weight checked next weekend

Post Thanks / Like

Or you could run bolth limb bolts in, then back them out equally 5 turns ( no more than 2 turns at a time) and see where you end up. I believe barry used to shoot his bow lighter than the low end spec, with no ill effect, besides a loss of efficiency. Id ask him about it first though.
    2010 rytera x. apache rest, truglo 5pin. 8in shockbocker 1000 stabilizer. norway g2 string tamer Huch-n-Son strings
    2010 rytera z apache carbon rest axt primal x5 sight

Post Thanks / Like

Ok thanks for the info. 2 further questions.

I am correct in assuming 'a turn' refers to one full 360 revolution?

The limb bolt must remain threaded to both sides of the barrel retaining nut of if they are too short to get the bolts Justin mentioned which are longer therefore will have more adjustment?

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the bow darkember!

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

I think the limbs need to have some preload to them to keep you from derailing. Backing down to 50 lbs shouldnt hurt, 35 lbs might be a problem. Martins barrel nuts are an awesome feature of there bows.
    2010 rytera x. apache rest, truglo 5pin. 8in shockbocker 1000 stabilizer. norway g2 string tamer Huch-n-Son strings
    2010 rytera z apache carbon rest axt primal x5 sight

Post Thanks / Like

What is the deflection number on the limbs?
    It will be on the 'butt end' near the limb bolts. The code will be a number and the letter L M or H.
    Like '2H' or '3L' or '5M' etc.
    This will tell you the max draw weight when the limb bolts are turned all the way in.
    Backing them out 5 turns (360 degrees = 1 turn) will set the bow near the minimum draw weight.
    So if the limb deflection number for that model bow is 60# max dw. then backing it off 5 turns will be 45#.
    It is not recommended by Martin to back the limbs off more than 5 turns from being bottomed out and shoot the bow.
    They can be backed off more to service/repair the bow.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forums Darkember. I'm Barry, the guy Justin was referring to. What he said about be shooting the bow below the recommended minimum, but this was for a fairly short duration and specific reasons. The bow in question was a 2007 custom built Pantera with Nitrous X cams on it, 55# max. I came down with a very rare muscle problem that left me unable to hold up 4# and struggling with 15# draw weight. At the same time I had a herniated disc in my neck which surgery fixed. The muscle loss was bad as it took about 6 months to work my way up to 27#. That's when I dug out the Pantera and backed those 55# limbs down to 27#. I had to shoot something if I was going to gain any muscle back.

The point is, it wasn't going to hurt the bow and helped me. The limb bolts were long enough that they were fully threaded through the barrel nuts. The bow was a bit rubbery and noisy because the rigging wasn't very tight. I never experienced any derailment. Bear in mind that this was not long term project. I'm up to drawing a little over 50#, but I shoot about 47# very well most of the time. The Pantera did get sold to a more worthy owner and I get all 50# bow now. I would not, however, advise shooting a bow backed off so much on a long term basis.

In your case I'd turn the limb bolts all the way in and see what the bow weighs. A lot depends on what you are willing to settle for. It sounds like the seller misrepresented the bow to you. If you're stuck with it then you could certainly back the limbs off to 50# till you build up some decent form and the muscles that draw the bow. As you develop you can always add a few pounds, slowly.

In the interim do as Spiker said and tell us the deflection number on the limbs. There's always the possibility that somebody on Archery Talk will have a pair of 60# limbs and looking to swap them for 70# limbs.

These are just a couple of options you may have.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver