Thread: 2010 bone hunter/cheetah idler wheel noise

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2010 bone hunter/cheetah idler wheel noise

I have a 2010 Bone Hunter, which I understand is the same as the Cheetah. After I shoot a couple of arrows, I have a creaking sound coming from the idler wheel. If I draw it once but don't fire and draw it again, it doesn't make the noise the second or any subsequent draw until I actually shoot an arrow again. There is a lot of wax built up on the wheel and I am just wondering if the string is getting wedged onto the wheel causing the noise. If that is the case, how do I clean the extra wax off the wheel. Called Martin and he had no idea but said to send it in. Well, it is deer season so I am not too excited about sending my bow in to be checked.

Help.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you sure it is the wheel?? I had a creek on mine that I thought was coming from the wheel or the limb-pocket, turned out to be my cable rod was coming loose. Locked those screws down and no more noise. Just one more thing to look at if you aren't 100% sure that it is the wheel.
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I have checked that and it is tight. I originally thought it might be the string going through the slide on the cable guard but I cleaned that up and that seem fine.

Post Thanks / Like

If you believe the idler wheel is your source of noise you should totally inspect its' function to be sure all parts are performing properly. You can back off tension of the strings/cable by loosening your limb bolts. Clean the idler w/ a blunt piece of dowel rod/ tooth pic etc. Do not use an abrasive or any thing that may scratch the wheel. Loosening tension allows you to roll the idler 360*. Once most string wax is removed clean up w/ hot water and a soft cloth then dry. While the tension is off the idler I would check its operation by totally removing the string/cables. If you are uncomfortable doing this I suggest the local pro shop (watch and learn). You need to check the idler rotation, axle, retaining clips, bearing etc. Again, this is only if you have confirmed the idler as your source. Have someone else listen for the noise as you draw. Don't let on as to where you think the noise is coming from and see what they come up with. Hope this helps.
    Chasman, 2010 Martin Bengal 60#,Parker Phoenix 60#, Parker Hornet 70#. Hutch-n-Son strings.'Makes a lot of sense if you don't think about it!

Post Thanks / Like

Check the spools that hold the buss cable loops on the ends of the idler axle. Most of the time thats where the noise comes from when its around the idler wheel. Remove the spools and put a thin coating of string wax on the back side where they contact the limb, reinstall them with the c clips and that should eliminate the noise.

Advantage Custom Strings

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. Took it into Dicks last night and they thought it was coming from the idler wheel also. They tried putting a couple of drops of oil on the axle but really had no affect. I will give this a shot after I hunt this weekend. Really strange that when I start my draw after shooting, if I pull back slowly it doesn't make the noise. It really sounds like a string trang type of noice when I pull back normal speed.