View Poll Results: When Is It Too Windy To Hunt?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • 15-20 MPH

1 10.00%
  • 20-25 MPH

3 30.00%
  • 25-30 MPH

2 20.00%
  • 30-35 MPH

2 20.00%
  • It's Never Too Windy, I'll Tie Myself To A tree If Needed

1 10.00%
  • Other (please make comment)

1 10.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Windy Is Too Windy To Deer Hunt?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How Windy Is Too Windy To Deer Hunt?

I planned on going hunting with my father-in-law this evening. That was until the wind started kicking up, even in a blind I don't think it would be any fun. I have heard that deer bed down if it gets too windy, not that they will blow over, but that they can't hear well so they get nervous and bed down. I'm not sure that I believe that as a blanket statement but I tend to think there is some merit to it. I mean if it has been windy for a couple days they will eventually need to get up and eat and drink.

What I am asking is when do you say enough is enough and not even go out? I understand there are different methods of hunting and a ground blind user may endure more winds than a tree stand user. I'm thinking more along the lines that you won't waste your time because the deer will be holed up (if you believe in that).

Feel free to make comments for your reasoning. E.G. Today the winds were 35 gusting 45 so I didn't go out. I think the deer will be laying low and I would be wasting my time.
    Last edited by MLN1963; 11-02-2011 at 12:34 PM.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

Don't have that issue in the UK. I'm afraid it is illegal to hunt with a bow in this country I'll be stuck to targets & 3D shoots. I may have a go at some rabbits when my aim gets gets better on my m8's farm land.

String builder/ Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Truly shooting a bow in the wind is not the best conditions. But I have shot in heavy winds before and hit the mark. But would I hunt, I would have to say no.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

I hear you Bill. I was more thinking along the lines of when do you think it's too windy because the game won't be moving? Even 15 MPH can be dicey with a bow for me. That is one nice thing about the ground blinds, it's not very windy in them. I'm not saying they are the way to go, they are just an option.
    Firecat 400

String builder/ Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MLN1963 View Post
    I hear you Bill. I was more thinking along the lines of when do you think it's too windy because the game won't be moving? Even 15 MPH can be dicey with a bow for me. That is one nice thing about the ground blinds, it's not very windy in them. I'm not saying they are the way to go, they are just an option.
    Yeah I did but I checked 25 to 30 mph wasn't thinking LOL. And deer would be laying down in the wind. They spook real easy. But I always like to go because the opportunity of spooking one up is greater.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

30-35 mph ....................

Post Thanks / Like

If you can find a place out of the wind the deer will too. They don't like the wind because it compromises their senses, strong winds make it difficult to smell as the scent disapates rapidly, their hearing is impaired just like ours with trees creaking and leaves blowing and lastly it affects their sight, everything is moving and its harder for them to detect danger. But, if your can find a little couly or creek bottom, any place out of the blasts, you'll find deer.

Post Thanks / Like

i will hunt any place any conditions.wind,snow,rain im in the hunt.most people would stay home so at that time i would head out.wind helps the stalk,you wont be heard by them deer,or elk for me.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm starting to see a trend here. Windy days could be great spot and stalk days.

Are these days where you possibly get a shot at deer lying on the ground?
    Last edited by MLN1963; 11-02-2011 at 02:58 PM.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MLN1963 View Post
    I'm starting to see a trend here. Windy days could be great spot and stalk days.

Are these days where you possibly get a shot at deer lying on the ground?
    i guess that depends on if your in the right place at the right time.cloudy nights when it is good and dark the deer should be beded down,that early morning of the cloudy night would be a great time tohunt,better if it was good and windy.nights with full moon the deer will be moveing,that morning most likely they will bed down.

i have not herd much about deer beding down in high wind.but that is out my way.the hunting is probly difffernt out your way.