View Poll Results: When Is It Too Windy To Hunt?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • 15-20 MPH

1 10.00%
  • 20-25 MPH

3 30.00%
  • 25-30 MPH

2 20.00%
  • 30-35 MPH

2 20.00%
  • It's Never Too Windy, I'll Tie Myself To A tree If Needed

1 10.00%
  • Other (please make comment)

1 10.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How Windy Is Too Windy To Deer Hunt?

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe they aren't bedded down, maybe they have sought shelter like Bob was talking about? Maybe that is why you don't see them and people think they are bedded down?
    Firecat 400

String builder/ Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Lots of times they will go into thick brush or under fur trees. I have seen them crawl out from under the branches of a fur tree. Most of the ones I have seen are in valleys where there is less wind and noises.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

I voted for 20-25 mph. It's what the winds bring with it that matters to me. I hunt mainly in desert terrain. So when the winds pick up, the deer head for the nearest bush for cover. Usually the winds picks up sand which ain't no fun to be in when it swirls around you. When the dust and sand is blowing then I'm worried about visibility. Where I live is windy as I live near the river in a canyon. Plus, the higher the winds, Then my max shooting distance will drop. That's what i think. I use fobs for that reason. I believe they are better than 2 inch blazers or fusions in Windy Conditions. I will shoot my Fobs in a heart beat in windy conditions at farther distances. If I just had Blazers on me I would either shorten my effective distance or not even shoot at all. The effective distance would differ from person to person. It's what your comfortable with. If I can't see or my bow hand is all over the place because of the wind then I'm not shooting at all. It's time to stop and wait for the winds to die down. The deer in my area will usually find cover to get out of the wind by finding the nearest grouping of bushes to use as wind block or drop down into a draw for cover. Draws are great places to find deer in windy conditions. They cannot hear Predators coming so they fell safer out of the wind. My .2 cents. The terrain matters.
    Last edited by Double S; 11-02-2011 at 03:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I will hunt in the wind, but I find myself doing more walking because it covers noise. I do call it quits if the wind is blowing branches out of the trees. Some days the wind needed to do that may be faster than other days, so I don't have a set number (mph). I have had several limbs and a couple trees come down near me. They call those things widow makers for a reason. I get into the woods early and it seems that the wind always comes up with the sun.
    2012 Alien X

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MLN1963 View Post
    I'm starting to see a trend here. Windy days could be great spot and stalk days.

Are these days where you possibly get a shot at deer lying on the ground?
    windy days ARE great spot and stalk days. not much worry for Team M1. lol! your noise and movements blend in with the everything else. down side is,so do the deer's. keep your eyes peeled. set your blind for the first couple hours of light,then start the stalking. the deer live in the elements. when they're hungry,they'll eat. when their horny,they'll be looking for action. find the bedding areas and start there. they'll stay relatively close to cover,but they'll still need food and water. wind is a good sign of a front moving in and the movement tends to pick up at this time. just stay alert. look for horizontal movement. it's more uncomfy for the hunters than it is the deer.

Sounds like GD n I are on the same page. i'll hunt regardless of the weather. but i wont be caught sittin in a tree stand in anything over 15mph winds. i have no problem shooting steady in the wind,but not when i'm being rocked and swayed in a tree. not to mention it makes me nervous. windy days are ground hunting days.

if you can find a cornfield to stalk...thats fun stuff. walk it in a grid pattern.peak through the corn looking down the rows. look low to try seeing their legs moving. if nothing,step into the next row and do the same thing. make your way to the edge of the field then walk up 25-30yds and work your way back the other way. it makes for some VERY close encounters. they could be feeding or bedded. alone or in small groups. in the rows or in small clearings. shots can be difficult,though. i havent been able to do it yet this year and may not have the opportunity. the corn was cut on the property i hunt before i got a chance to hunt it
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

Post Thanks / Like

The only thing I dont like hunting in bad weather conditions, wind-rain-snow, is Turkeys. They tend to just hole-up or stay very close to their roosts.
    But deer, elk and antelope - - I like hunting them most when it is raining. Once in awhile I hunt them out of a tree stand or a blind but 90% of the time
    it is spot & stalk/still hunting. Rain covers your sound and scent and makes them less likely to bolt because they dont want to go out in it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by darkember View Post
    Don't have that issue in the UK. I'm afraid it is illegal to hunt with a bow in this country I'll be stuck to targets & 3D shoots. I may have a go at some rabbits when my aim gets gets better on my m8's farm land.
    ??? it is illegal to bowhunt but you can hunt rabbits???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spiker View Post
    Rain covers your sound and scent and makes them less likely to bolt because they dont want to go out in it.
    Where are they if they are not out in it?
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

At around 20 to 25 mph, branches start breaking and the deer will take cover, less that that they move out into the open, where they can see. or at least thats what blacktail deer do. Just sayin.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://cascadianbowmen.com/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade