Thread: g5 montec ss/ cs??

Post Thanks / Like

Default g5 montec ss/ cs??

has anyone experience with the montec ss AND the cs??
    what exactly is the difference? they say that the cs is sharper, but its also cheaper. -> any disadvantages?

Post Thanks / Like

I've never used them, but my best bet would be that the CS has thinner blades. That, or the SS is stainless steel, and the CS is just carbon steel. In their description, they say that the SS is stainless, but don't say it about the CS.
    2008 Moab 70# The deer killing bow
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

CS--carbon steel
    SS--stainless steel

Not all people know this but stainless steel is actually softer than carbon steel, thus it's harder to get as keen an edge or maintain that edge for maximum sharpness. That's the advantage of carbon steel. It's drawback is that it can and will oxidize (rust) which causes the edge to deteriorate. Stainless has the advantage of not oxidizing, but can dull more readily from contact with anything hard.

Carbon blades can keep from oxidizing by using anthing that will inhibit moisture---vaseline, grease, etc. Stainless is usually less bothersome, but also more expensive.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

thanks a lot!!

the decision isnt easy though...

Post Thanks / Like

I personally like CS, as im a knive lover.

i use to make my own fillet knive, and chopping knive for fishing, and CS can last u the whole day cutting and chop and don need much touch up on the knife sharp edge, BUT you will cry after the fishing trip, especially the salt water on the CS, u need a goodx100 cleaning and oiling the CS.

As Barry mentioned, SS will not rust, but compare the sharpen and durability to CS, u need to sharpen them more often, and touch up the edge of the knife very frequent.

So for, its apply to broadhead i guess. i still prefer using CS over SS, since you dont get salt water to rust the broadhead in the woods. BUT of coz its not easy to get a good CS made stuff, compare to SS grade 440C will have a very sharp and durable edge.

How i wish i can make my own broadhead. hahaha...

Just my own 2 cent worth
    2014 Alien Nitro , Sureloc Challenger + Viper Scope, Trophy Ridge Revolution, Easton Carbon One 500, Doinker Elite Supreme, Carter 2 Special.

Post Thanks / Like

i guess ill go with the carbon steel, some hunters use a broadhead for just one shot at an animal (like a bullet), even if the head is not damaged which can always happen. so i guess its better to go with the tougher and sharper (and also cheaper) head.

thanks!