Thread: who's got some good jerky how-to's?

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

Default who's got some good jerky how-to's?

lets hear it. i haven't made it in years and sucked at it then. lol. but it sounds really good. i can use the neighbor's smoker or my oven. don't have a dehydrater anymore(that's probably why it didn't turn out so good last time).
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I like it simple. If using cut meat, I just use Liquid smoke, Worchestershire, and Lite Soy Sauce. Soak the meat for about an hour, then dry. Occasionally, I'll throw in some brown sugar for sweeter jerky, or cayenne for spicy jerky. If using burger to make jerky, I just use Cabelas dry mixes. Reasonably cheap, good flavor, and easy to do. The hickory is my favorite. Mix it, let it set for an hour or two, load a jerky gun, and start shooting.
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

And don't mess with sasquach!
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

I use my secret pattened brine. ( years of testing an eating it)
    What i will say is you are on the right track but are taking a wrong turn... I leave it in a BRINE for a weak 5 day min.... I do have a dubble sided tupperware jerkey contaner... just fill it up with layers of your meat strips, add brine then every time someone opend fridge, flip contaner over to keep it mixed... then smoke it, with what ever chip flavor you like...do some searchin each chip addds differant type of flavor...to early for me to recall... I just know ,I like the apple with a pan of cherry tosed in between...
    DO not be afraide to taste your brine, if you dont like what it tastes like you wont like the jerkey.. brown surgar is KEY.. be brave and mix up some things you think will taste GOOD.... For practice go to the store get some beef roast's lots easer to perfect your brine with that then your hard earned game meat
    signed the.............. Squach
    Last edited by ElkSlayer; 11-14-2011 at 05:45 AM. Reason: added sig
    It's all fun an games till you put that big boy on the ground.. now its time to get to work
    Martin cougarIII elite nitrous C cam X system & HHA
    Darton Fury recurve

http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/

Post Thanks / Like

This is my families Frontier Jerky recipe.

1 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp pepper
    1 tsp garlic powder
    2 Table spoon Worcestershire
    2 Table spoon Liquid Smoke
    1 pound meat

Adjust amount of ingredients based on amount of meat you are jerking. Mix ingredients, layer meat in non-metallic bowl with tight lid (I prefer zip-lock freezer bags). Marinate for 6-12 hours in refrigerator, stir occasionally.

This is a base and I may make it a little different depending on my mood. The good thing is there is no right or wrong way to make it, someone will always eat it. I usually let it sit overnight as a minimum, sometimes for a few days or until I remember its in the refrigerator.

I tried some of the Eastman Outdoors jerky mixes and it is pretty good too. Its kinda spendy but tastes good if you want a change of pace. Whiskey Pepper and sweet bbq are pretty good ones.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

we have a local super market with a deli , they have turkey pestromi may not be spelled corectly, but anyway,
    i get them to slice it about 3/16" thick, put some teriyaki sause on it dry in the oven for a couple hrs. @ 140 degrees the only problem is me and my grandkids eat it as quick as it comes out of the oven, cost about $6.00 a lb. the last time i bought some. store bought jerk is $16.00 a lb. or more now!
    Last edited by bowgramp59; 02-07-2012 at 04:52 PM.
    curtis

2010 nemesis camo, 2011 nemesis carbon fiber,
    2010 onza 3 camo,