Thread: Wearing orange during gun season stinks....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wearing orange during gun season stinks....

Well I usually am finished with my treestand this time of year can't stand the cold so usually go to te ground blind. Well I've been really picky this year and could have tagged out a long time ago. Shot the rifle deer last Friday opener so decided to try and use the tree stand during gun season this past week. Have not been picked off one time out of this stand when wearing camo but now i have solid orange on from waist up and it seems they see me right away. Had 43 turkeys in tonight and they didn't spook. Anyway the weather is breaking to a normal North Dakota temps now so will be going to the ground anyway. Better get it done only 8 hunting days left for me this yr it's dark when I get off work and then vacation. Any of you tried the stands while wearing the solid orange?
    2010 Bengal,63#, 28dl, Easton ST Excels 400s @ 27.5", GT 5575s @ 27.5", or Beman 400s @ 27.5, ST 100 Magnums/Grim Reapers, older WB, Bonecollector 1100 Sights, LimbSaver "S" coil stabilizer, Grayling four arrow quiver, nocturnal nocks, Hutch-n-Sons cable/strings

Post Thanks / Like

Hunter orange is not required here in Nevada, thankfully. You might try the blaze camo orange and wash it in a UV blocker. My argument with hunter orange has always been the drastic change in brightness will always catch the critters eye. If animals see things in black & white or a grayscale, the orange naturally will be brighter than most other colors anyway. If it's still too bright throw it in the mud, let it dry, shake off the bigger clumps and hit the woods. You might also check the regs in your state. Some states require a certian amount (18 sq inches or whatever) you may be able to get the required amount on the back panel.
    I'm a Lefty

2011 Martin Ridge Hunter
    2012 Rytera Alien Z
    2008 Diamond Marquis
    2008 Diamond Marquis
    2009 Bowtech Sentinel
    2009 Bowtech Sentinel

Post Thanks / Like

Solid orange up here camo orange not allowed. It's washed in the UV soap like all my camo but still standds out I guess.
    2010 Bengal,63#, 28dl, Easton ST Excels 400s @ 27.5", GT 5575s @ 27.5", or Beman 400s @ 27.5, ST 100 Magnums/Grim Reapers, older WB, Bonecollector 1100 Sights, LimbSaver "S" coil stabilizer, Grayling four arrow quiver, nocturnal nocks, Hutch-n-Sons cable/strings

Post Thanks / Like

Gun hunters or hunting during gun season, people here have to wear hunter orange. I try to stay away from the orange army. I don't think critters can see Orange that why it was chosen. plus there's nothing in nature that has the same color. Deer see more of a gray / blue tone i believe. But they could see glare off the clothing if the sun hits it right. They talk about certain clothing have more of a UV halo that deer can spot. I have seen a gun hunter shoot at another gun hunter about 100 yards away because he saw movement. The guy shot at was wearing brand new hunters orange from Pants to jacket, gloves and hat...all orange. and he was still shot at.
    Last edited by Double S; 11-14-2011 at 05:29 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope he didn't hit him!!!!!!
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MLN1963 View Post
    I hope he didn't hit him!!!!!!
    He shot over his head.

You should have seen the fist fight!.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Double S View Post
    He shot over his head.

You should have seen the fist fight!.
    i bet some heads were getting knocked in.i would whoop some ### if it happend to me.

Post Thanks / Like

sadly there is no way to tell if that "other hunter " can see in color too... may been color blind.. it is up to each hunter to be sure of the target befor droping the hammer or let loose the string....... too many times hunters shoot at and kill hunting partners just because it was some movement over there, blaze or no blaze...If your area says wear it then wear it even if you may not like it... it movement the game see's not the lighter shade of gray scale...brush your stand in a bit more is all i can say that may help

BTW is is now law here for youth hunters...but has been MY law for all my kids life...never let um out of my truck in gun season with out a cap on even if we were just pickin mushrooms....I dont trust any one else with a gun
    It's all fun an games till you put that big boy on the ground.. now its time to get to work
    Martin cougarIII elite nitrous C cam X system & HHA
    Darton Fury recurve

http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/