Thread: Storing your bow

Post Thanks / Like

Default Storing your bow

Is there any particular method one needs to adopt when not using your bow over an extended period of time?? Does one need to slacken off the limbs at all? If so by how much? Waxing the strings & lubing the cam barings goes without saying.

Much appreciated Wil

Post Thanks / Like

it would not hurt to back off them limbs if your going to put it up for a few or more months at a time.i would back it out 2 or 3 turns past the lowest shooting poundage for the bow in question.

Post Thanks / Like

i am still confused about this issue, i have been told both, backing off the limbs,saves the stretch on the cables and strings,but counters on the limbs being relaxed and wound back up cause undo stress,and premature limb failure,I leave mine wound up , and if i need some new strings and cables that seems a little easier to deal with then new limbs , I am not avid user of a press either, my retired last bow I can almost say for sure the dude at gander mountain, over did it in the press right after i picked it up it creaked and shortly afterwards wack!the limbs cracked, his remedy of spraying wd z40 on it stopped the noise ,

Post Thanks / Like

I leave mine set at the poundage that I shoot them at, and have'nt noticed any changes, well other than string wear in the last 4 years.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

realy depends on where you plan on storing...leaned up in a corner is NO GOOD...put in a case is ok but where is that case.. I hang mine on a bow rack never back it down eather .. never leave it in direct sun light or extrem heat for any length of time. best to keep shooting it and dont worry storing it
    It's all fun an games till you put that big boy on the ground.. now its time to get to work
    Martin cougarIII elite nitrous C cam X system & HHA
    Darton Fury recurve

http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/

Post Thanks / Like

Backing the limbs down isn't going to hurt anything, but about 5 turns and then write that down on a piece of masking tape and attach it to the bow somewhere. However, leaving the bow at your shooting weight isn't going to hurt either. From my experience most bows can be left at shooting weight and the limbs will only lose about 2# of draw weight over ten years, and knowing more about things these days that may have been due simply to the rigging creeping.

Yes, keep it in a case in a place that won't get hot or damp. Hanging on a hook is OK, but don't lean it anywhere that will cause pressure on the limbs or cams.

It is not necessary to lube anything. The bearing in the cams are factory lubed and sealed so adding lube to these is a waste of time. Yes, wax the string/cables and work it into the strands but you don't want to just glob it on the outside. It doesn't do any good there. Do it once and done. The wax does not just disappear over time.

Frankly, other than waxing the rigging most bows are just about maintenance free.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input much appreciated