Thread: Finally got one

Post Thanks / Like

Default Finally got one

So I got my first deer with a bow. Season ends tomorrow but tuesday was my last day to hunt. Around 7:45 a 3 point came cruising by. He had done the same a few days before but skirted the back of my stand, and with the harness I couldnt get a shot at him. So this time he came in front of me, I shot him at 10 yds, watched the arrow hit, double lung, he ran 60 yds and fell over dead, watched it all from the stand no tracking involved. I was glad to, we had heavy rain the night before, and the grass was really wet and I tried to trail him even though I knew where he was and couldnt pick up a blood trail. Not sure if it was the angle, I hit him high in the chest and exited dead center chest on the other side. Anyway I'm thrilled, I'm shooting a bowtech equalizer at 53lbs, 26" draw, 300gr gold tip velocity with the x-system broadhead from crimson talon. Entrance and exit would were the same size, solid 1.5-2" cut. Broadhead opened up well they call it the x system cause it cuts an x through the deer as you can see on the lung picture. Not trying to get graphic but thought it was a good representation of what it could do. My set up isnt fast, 275 fps, and my arrow is light, but a full pass through and I watched the deer drop, couldnt be happier. And I know the horns are little, but he weighed around 100 lbs so he will eat good. I saw only buck within range the 12-13 times I was out, missed a 6 early in the season, and everything else was to small to early on, or just out of reach. He was my last chance to fill the tag.
    downsized_1115010847.jpg
    downsized_1115010848.jpg
    "If Darwin saw the same sunrise and sunset, that I see from a duck marsh, or my tree stand; then he would know there is a God, and that He created all of it." -Ford-

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Congrats Ford, that boiler room is not ever going to work again

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats Ford. Well done!.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats!
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

thanks guys. It was a relief to get one with the bow finally. Havent hunted that often or that hard with a rifle or shotgun to get a deer before. I've also never seen as many buck in one season as I did this year so far. A big 6 and 8 within 30 yds of the stand, couple of spikes, 3 points, and nubbie button bucks. Probably 6-7 different bucks near the stand. Saw dow about 100 yds or more through the woods away, but never any of them anywhere near close enough to shoot. I'm kinda wondering if I had dumb luck and had my treestand on those lightly traveled buck trails, and not the heavy doe paths. Pretty well hooked on archery now, love hunting with a gun and will continue, but it was a lot of fun hunting with a bow. Few things I will change for next year: light for my sites, and lots more practice. Going to practice with all of my thick clothing, including gloves and hats, and the dreaded harness. I love that thing for safety but it restricts my shooting to the 180 degrees or less in front of me. my only remedy to that is I'm thinking of getting a climbing carabiner and hooking it on to my tether, so if I know im going to shoot behind the stand, unclip from the harness for the shot. Right now I use the full body harness that came with the stand and you slip the tether through the tree strap. A quick disconnect might be nice. Any thoughts.
    "If Darwin saw the same sunrise and sunset, that I see from a duck marsh, or my tree stand; then he would know there is a God, and that He created all of it." -Ford-

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Congrats,nice buck.............

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations on your first buck, gets ya going, don't it?
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Way ta let the air out of him, congrats!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations! Got my first one today with a bow. Not gonna jack your thread though. Nice shot!
    2012 Alien X