Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st bow kill

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1st bow kill

Got my first bow kill this afternoon. After not seeing any deer all season, I saw 2 today. Went out around 12:30, had a young doe walk 5 yards past me (I sit on the ground). She came in at a bad angle and I had no cover to draw behind, but my heart was racing just to have the deer that close. She walked by without spooking. About 2:30 I decide to try strapping on a swivel seat I have that straps to a tree. I figured the way the wind was blowing, it would help if anything came from my right. The seat keeps my feet on the ground, but allows me to swivel and I can see down over the hill a little better to. I decided at 3:00 I would head out and take a slow walk to the car because I had a class to take tonight. At 2:55 this 7 pointer walks up from my right. I swivel around and it looks like he is going to go up the hill out of range to the right. Then he turns and walks towards me. When he goes behind a tree I draw, and now he is moving toward my #1 shooting lane. He stops and I need about 10 more steps to get into the lane. I am in a bad spot now because when I swiveled around to the right, I had to move my elbow to the other side of the tree. Now I am full draw and have to move around the tree again. I get it done and he is just standing there. I think he might have smelled that doe as he was standing right where she came up the hill. Now my fingers are going numb and my arms are ready to break. I don't want to let down without him being behind cover, so I line up my shot, which was not the perfect broadside shot, but I had a nice look at the sweet spot behind the shoulder. I estimate him at 30 yards, put my 30 yard pin on him and let the arrow go. It looks great up until the last couple yards. I don't know if he saw it and flinched or if I hit a twig (found a bunch of them after the shot, but couldn't see them before the shot). He goes down in a heap and rolls onto his back. I see his legs thrashing, and he still has not moved the spot from where he was standing. I am super excited now and I see him attempt to run. He is dragging his hind legs and bleeding real good from behind the shoulder. At the time I am not sure what's up, but I tracked him and found I spine shot him. Just a little deflection was all it took. Thankfully I got him. I may actually give up hunting with a gun after this. That was a thrill. Sorry the photo is terrible as I took it with my cell phone and then had to send it to my brother in law so he could e-mail it to me so I could post it here. I have a couple others with the bow, but I was out by myself and had no one to take the photo for me. I made it to my class but just barely.2011bowbuck.jpg
    2012 Alien X

Post Thanks / Like

A big congrats MM on your first deer!. I remember my first deer. Every second of it. I can play it back in my head frame by frame. Cheers!.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. My first deer with a gun was 18 years ago and I remember it like it was yesterday.
    2012 Alien X

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats!
    Firecat 400

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Well Dave, you hung in there and got that bow all redone. Boy did it pay off nice real nice!!!

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats,nice first buck.

Post Thanks / Like

MM, that's a good one. Nice start with your bowhunting career.

I remember my first one vividly, a nice fat doe. That was 36 years ago. Now where did lay my sunglasses 10 minutes ago? I know they have to be here somewhere!!!!!!!!!!LOL.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Jumps up and slaps a high 5 to MM.
    Congrats on a very fine first deer, and a buck to boot.
    It's all down hill now.
    Don.
    I am sponsered by Louie Rangle-- Gator Feathers by Gator vanes...www.gatorvanes.com Deer Crossing Target shafts. Specialty Archery Timberdoodle ll rest. Bow String Depot Cables and String.
    I Shoot a 2012-SepterV and a 2011-Shadowcat
    I shoot Bowhunter, not barebow--fingers non-sights.
    Enter-ZESTY at checkout at Deer Crossing Archery- http://deercrossingarchery.com/
    For a 10% discount on all products, other than ECO Hunter shafts.

Post Thanks / Like

hey way to get it done MM...nice 3x you got your self oh sorry 7pt lol
    all the time and practice pays off and you got straps now boy good job nice buck
    It's all fun an games till you put that big boy on the ground.. now its time to get to work
    Martin cougarIII elite nitrous C cam X system & HHA
    Darton Fury recurve

http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Money Man View Post
    Got my first bow kill this afternoon. After not seeing any deer all season, I saw 2 today. Went out around 12:30, had a young doe walk 5 yards past me (I sit on the ground). She came in at a bad angle and I had no cover to draw behind, but my heart was racing just to have the deer that close. She walked by without spooking. About 2:30 I decide to try strapping on a swivel seat I have that straps to a tree. I figured the way the wind was blowing, it would help if anything came from my right. The seat keeps my feet on the ground, but allows me to swivel and I can see down over the hill a little better to. I decided at 3:00 I would head out and take a slow walk to the car because I had a class to take tonight. At 2:55 this 7 pointer walks up from my right. I swivel around and it looks like he is going to go up the hill out of range to the right. Then he turns and walks towards me. When he goes behind a tree I draw, and now he is moving toward my #1 shooting lane. He stops and I need about 10 more steps to get into the lane. I am in a bad spot now because when I swiveled around to the right, I had to move my elbow to the other side of the tree. Now I am full draw and have to move around the tree again. I get it done and he is just standing there. I think he might have smelled that doe as he was standing right where she came up the hill. Now my fingers are going numb and my arms are ready to break. I don't want to let down without him being behind cover, so I line up my shot, which was not the perfect broadside shot, but I had a nice look at the sweet spot behind the shoulder. I estimate him at 30 yards, put my 30 yard pin on him and let the arrow go. It looks great up until the last couple yards. I don't know if he saw it and flinched or if I hit a twig (found a bunch of them after the shot, but couldn't see them before the shot). He goes down in a heap and rolls onto his back. I see his legs thrashing, and he still has not moved the spot from where he was standing. I am super excited now and I see him attempt to run. He is dragging his hind legs and bleeding real good from behind the shoulder. At the time I am not sure what's up, but I tracked him and found I spine shot him. Just a little deflection was all it took. Thankfully I got him. I may actually give up hunting with a gun after this. That was a thrill. Sorry the photo is terrible as I took it with my cell phone and then had to send it to my brother in law so he could e-mail it to me so I could post it here. I have a couple others with the bow, but I was out by myself and had no one to take the photo for me. I made it to my class but just barely.2011bowbuck.jpg
    Oh oh, you're hooked now! Congratulations. Now about that class that you made it to, where you able to concentrate on it, or where you re-living your deer hunt?
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade