Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 1st bow kill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch~n~Son Archery View Post
    Well MLN, I am concerned about you!!!! If you picture yourself like this" I'll look like a very fat over sized squirrel sitting on the tree" Then counseling will be needed.
    Hutch
    What makes you think I'm not already going?
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Money Man View Post
    I feel like I am in their back yard, and I think I would notice if somebody placed a 200 pound camo wearing over sized squirrel in my back yard. It is important to control your movement because the seat places you at eye level with the deer.
    I have been gun hunting the last two days but had some unique experiences. Sat. morning I was at the edge of a wheat field, it was a point (90*) and I was seated on the ground leaning at the tip under two small barren trees wearing my blase orange vest and hat. Two does walked up on me at first light, by time I made sure they weren't spikes or buttons they were too close to raise my gun without being busted. One spotted me and came closer, 10 feet close, and was checking me out doing the head bob and all that. I never moved and I had my eyes closed to where I was only seeing thru my eyelashes. She knew I wasn't there last time but she didn't get excited, she casually walked off with no sign of being scared or threatened.

Yesterday evening I was seated on the ground leaning against a tree at the edge in a different location, again in the open because that is the only way I could have chance of seeing to the left and right. If I moved back into the trees I would have such a narrow shooting lane it would be luck to have a deer walk into it. Long story short, a 6-point walks out from across the field, heads my way and lays down 59 yards from me. I pulled my camo head net thingy over my eyes so I could watch him. I knew I wasn't going to shoot him so I had some fun. I bleated and such and he would look my way and then go back to his siesta. We played this game for a while. I had a dry throat and started coughing and he looked my way and then when about his nap. I even took my phone out slowly and took pictures of him. All in all he was there a good 20 minutes and the thing that made him get up was a car driving by over 200 yards away. He got up and grazed his way towards me and then started walking the edge of the field. I was getting excited now because I thought he would have to practically step over me if he kept coming. He ended up taking a deer trail about 25 yards from me and cut thru the tree line.

Three deer sightings and three Mark sightings for sure. This is out in the country so I know they aren't used to people. I'm really surprised that they stayed so calm and weren't bothered by me. So maybe the fat squirrel is less worrisome than I originally thought (as long as I stay still)? Tonight I sat in a box blind and seen nothing. Go figure?
    Firecat 400