Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Rifle Grouping (Sorry, Bullets Not Broadheads)

Post Thanks / Like

Not doubting your capability. Just saying you have a very special 30-30 to be doing that. If you want to sell it I want to buy it.

My picture was rotated so you could read the numbers on the caliper. I was hitting high (my zero is 225 yards) and about 6"-8" left of where I was aiming because of the stiff cross winds. Originally I couldn't figure out why I was missing the target.
    Firecat 400

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Nice shooting MLN. I recently traded for a .257 Weatherby that the owner said would "only hit 2 inch groups at 100 yards." Apparently, he wasn't a very good shot. lol I'm getting 5/8th inch groups at 100, and right at 1 inch at 200. Glad I traded for this rifle. lol
    2008 Moab 70# The deer killing bow
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry Hutch that video really doesn't mean much. Those are A-Max target bullets and you wouldn't use in the tube of your Marlin. The iconic 30-30 can shoot that far but it doesn't mean the bullets will have the energy needed for hunting applications. They also aren't showing group size. I watched a guy shoot a 9mm with no sights and hit a human sized target at 100 yards for a full magazine (Fists of Fury training video).

Lever actions have 2 piece stocks and are not typically what someone building a rifle for accuracy is looking for. As I'm sure you know MOA is real close to 1 inch at 100 yards. A gun holding MOA is generally accepted as an very accurate weapon, a gun holding sub-MOA is highly touted. MOA at 300 yards is about 3". For your gun to shoot 1" groups at 300 yards with factory ammo is truly phenomenal as that means its capable of shooting through the same hole at 100 yards. Most guns wish they could do that.

Now before you think I'm calling you out, I'm not, I believe you. I will re-emphasize, you have a very special Marlin there. I would love to take it off your hands if you ever wish to sell it.
    Last edited by MLN1963; 11-20-2011 at 07:10 PM.
    Firecat 400