Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: onza 3

Post Thanks / Like

Default onza 3

i decided to chang the strings on my onza , i built a 20 strand string with trophy and with bcy 3d for serving. i noticed that the cables on the end with the long serving 10" was showing about 50% above the top of the cam. i was wordering if this was normal, my alien nemesis and my alien xs are flush in this area. if someone that has an onza take a look and see if it looks like this .
    curtis

2010 nemesis camo, 2011 nemesis carbon fiber,
    2010 onza 3 camo,

Post Thanks / Like

I built new strings for mine when I got it, 24 strands 452X with .014 halo end servings. The cables sit nearly flush to the top of the tracks, just a very small amount showing above the track. Finished diameter of the cables measured at the serving is .10", which is the same size as the factory 22 strand Trophy strings. Not sure what the factory uses for serving, but its not 3D or Halo. I do know that the Trophy 22 strand sting weighs 17gr. more than a 24 strand 452X string, all serving and speed nocks being the same. Thats part of the reason that I won't switch to Trophy, its heavier and really dosen't hold up or wear any better than 452X.

Put about 100-150 shots through the bow and see if the cables don't settle into the tracks a little better.

Advantage Custom Strings

Post Thanks / Like

thank you ! i think that the cam grove on this bow isn't cut deep enough, i guess i will call joel tommorrow and see what he says.
    curtis

2010 onza 3 camo,

Post Thanks / Like

i will shoot it some and see! the way it looks i'm about half afraid to shoot it , i only got 2 eyes, just joking.
    i didn't notice the way it was with the factory strings .i wish i had!. what do you think about putting a set of 2.0 hybrex cams on the onza? i bought a new set to put on the bow we disscused in the private message earlyer. i would hate to loose the smooth draw that it has now.
    curtis

2010 onza 3 camo,

Post Thanks / Like

You won't gain anything by switching to the Hybrix cams. Other than one saying Hybrix 2.0 and the other saying Nitro they are the same cam. When my Nemisis came this year it actually had one of each on it. The bow shot OK, but the Nitro was replaced with another Hybrix for aesthetic reasons.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bowgramp59 View Post
    i decided to chang the strings on my onza , i built a 20 strand string with trophy and with bcy 3d for serving. i noticed that the cables on the end with the long serving 10" was showing about 50% above the top of the cam. i was wordering if this was normal, my alien nemesis and my alien xs are flush in this area. if someone that has an onza take a look and see if it looks like this .
    Is it just one cam showing this? I checked my FC400, same Nitro 2 cams, and my string barely sits above the cam lips. I think it is helpful in protecting the cam lips from damage if it sticks out somewhat, it it was flush you wouldn't have the support at the lips and they would bend easier.

My factory string is .090" on bare string and .110" on the serving.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bowgramp59 View Post
    i will shoot it some and see! the way it looks i'm about half afraid to shoot it , i only got 2 eyes, just joking.
    i didn't notice the way it was with the factory strings .i wish i had!. what do you think about putting a set of 2.0 hybrex cams on the onza? i bought a new set to put on the bow we disscused in the private message earlyer. i would hate to loose the smooth draw that it has now.
    Lay a straight edge across the track and use a caliper to measure the depth and width of the track and compare it to one of your other Hybrix or Nitro cams. How do you serve your loops? Is it possible that you ran the loop serving too far up the cable making your end servings near the loops a little too large where they enter the track ?

You could use the Hybrix cams and maybe gain a couple fps since they are a little lighter than the Nitro cams. If we were talking about the 1.5 cams, there is no difference at all between those, but there is a small difference in the 2.0 cams in weight and the position of the cable post on the take up (module) track. The cables you made would probably need to be shortened up appox. 1/8-1/4" to get the bow back in spec with the Hybrix cams. The draw cycle should remain pretty much the same. It would be interesting to see what difference, if any the swap would make. I might have to try it myself after the season is over.

Advantage Custom Strings

Post Thanks / Like

it is the same on both cams! i will measure the depth of the grooves and get back to you, but i can tell by looking that they are much shallower than the rest of my bows, and i serve all the strings the same way, all 4 of my other bows are almost flush. i actually removed the 3d .016 serving and served wiyh 2x .012 can't tell it helpd much. thanks everone!
    curtis

2010 onza 3 camo,

Post Thanks / Like

hey guys i decided to go ahead and change the cams, bfisher you are wright they are the same cams i couldn't see any differance at all, except my bow is one of the early ones it has the 60 year anaversary cams on it and are much heaver. it didn't change anything my d-loop is in the exact same place as before. i shot about a dozen arrows, right on the money . i had some cam lean on the top cam with the old ones thats gone, strait as can be. don't get me wrong , i love my martin & rytera bows and martins customer service is the best in my book. but this new!!! nitro wonderful cam ain't nouhting but a bunch of sales hype. after inspecting these cams the grove is deffantly shallower and doesn't even line uo with the modual , the cam grove is inline with the edge of the modual on both cams , thats strange that both are that way. i think i'm lucky that something bad didn't happen. i tried to call joel he had already gone home , will give them a call monday for sure. i just wanted to let you guys know what was going on. i have some more info that you may or not know, the draw stop screw sometimes is just a little bit long, and if you put it behind the modual it gets tough to move and it will actually push the mod. out just a bit putting it out of line i put a thin washer behind all mine! sorry for the long reply.
    curtis

2010 onza 3 camo,

Post Thanks / Like
    Firecat 400