Thread: Antler size

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Antler size

Is anyone else noticing that the racks seem to be a bit smaller this year than normal? I'm wondering if it's due to all the dry weather we had this summer, but here in S.E. Kansas, I've only seen two really good bucks so far this year. Neither of them on my hunting ground though. lol I'm seeing alot of "basket" 8 pointers, and even the older deer that I am seeing are basket racked. Nothing over a 12-14 inch spread. Just wondering if anyone else is running into this.
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If I ever see one I will let you know Lol

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Well Hutch, buy a Kansas tag next year and I'll take you with me. Thankfully, I have a few customers that are farmers and let me hunt on their places. I have roughly 1000 acres of farmland to hunt, some creek bottom land, and a bit of pasture land in this area. Up in North Central Kansas, I have probably 15,000 acres of land to hunt, but I've never tried deer hunting up there. Pheasant and quail is all so far. They do have Muleys up in that area though, so I'm planning on eventually giving it a try.
    BSD strings and cables

Post Thanks / Like

Well, NY is quite a drive from Kansas, but my buddy and I do a lot of scouting preseason and we noticed that of the bucks we saw, they all seemed smaller than normal. We also saw a lot fewer deer than normal too. Even as our bow season just closed, we both saw fewer deer in the woods. Between the 2 of us, we hunt about 6 or 7 different areas and the same results everywhere. Now I think it was 3 or 4 years ago, and it was a banner year for number of deer and the incredible sizes of racks. We didn't have droughts this past year, as a matter of fact it was quite wet. We did get hit with some heavy snow last year and we have seen a lot more coyotes around.
    2012 Alien X

Post Thanks / Like

MM, I've noticed a rise in coyote numbers as well here. Been running into them almost every night as I walk out. I'm still seeing good deer numbers, just smaller racks than ever before. After season is over, I plan on doing my best to thin out some coyotes. Of course, any that walk under my stand while I'm deer hunting are gonna be in trouble. lol
    BSD strings and cables

Post Thanks / Like

If the areas that you're hunting recieve any kind of pressure the bigger, older bucks will favor coming out at night, offering less chances of being seen. Got any trail cams, even cheap trail cams are better than none, as you don't see whats going on when you're not there. So far, its been my experience that the critters don't care about the flash, they're more concerned about the tiny click that our Wildview II's make just before the cam takes the pic. We've never yet seen this guy in legal shooting hours, have found his core area, his shed this spring,and plenty of sign, also have bumped him a few times , gotten close to him, but did'nt see him, but we do know that he IS there.

Last edited by elkslayer4x5; 11-22-2011 at 05:36 AM.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade