Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Martin Firehawk

Post Thanks / Like

Default Martin Firehawk

Decided to keep my 2009 Firehawk rather than sell it to buy a Mathews Z7. Dropping it off Friday for a tune-up. Also going to have the poundage turned down to 53lbs. Here is the question. By dropping down draw weight should I consider going to an 85 gr. broadhead/field tip from 100 gr.? Also, should I be looking at a lighter shaft? Currently using Beman 400s. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

I just had my draw weight turned up to 55 lbs. And the Beman 400's were what was recommendation for me.
    2007 Martin Wildcat / Jaguar 55# Dw 29" DL, Wildman Fly Series Quiver,Nap Apache Drop Away Rest, 28" Beman, ICS. Bowhunter 400- Custom Camo Hutch-n-son wrist sling

Post Thanks / Like

It all depends upon your draw length. I've shot Beman Bowhunters 400's at 29" ( back of insert to bottom of nock grove ) at 63#s, with great flight. If you cut them shorter than that, they will have stiffer spine, needing more draw weight. Here's the Beman shaft selector.

http://www.beman.com/products/shaft-selector
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 96xjclassic View Post
    I just had my draw weight turned up to 55 lbs. And the Beman 400's were what was recommendation for me.
    Guessing you shoot a 45-60# bow? What size broadheads do you use?

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

I shoot 400 spines out of a 70# binary cam bow w laser like flight @ 28" DL,26.75" arrow length and 100gr tips
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

Post Thanks / Like

i would stay with the 100 grain broadheads and field tips, i have gone down to 45 lbs. from 60 lbs when i had shoulder replacment , just kept on useing the same arrows. shoot them if they shoot good stay with what you got.
    curtis

2010 nemesis camo, 2011 nemesis carbon fiber,
    2010 onza 3 camo,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rbell420 View Post
    Guessing you shoot a 45-60# bow? What size broadheads do you use?
    Good guess. Exactly right. Bow tech at local hunting shop recommends 100 grain. I have yet to fire any bh's though.
    2007 Martin Wildcat / Jaguar 55# Dw 29" DL, Wildman Fly Series Quiver,Nap Apache Drop Away Rest, 28" Beman, ICS. Bowhunter 400- Custom Camo Hutch-n-son wrist sling

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bowgramp59 View Post
    i would stay with the 100 grain broadheads and field tips, i have gone down to 45 lbs. from 60 lbs when i had shoulder replacment , just kept on useing the same arrows. shoot them if they shoot good stay with what you got.
    Thanks. I'll give them a try once the poundage is cranked down a bit. Shoulder problems here as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 96xjclassic View Post
    Good guess. Exactly right. Bow tech at local hunting shop recommends 100 grain. I have yet to fire any bh's though.
    Thanks. I just figured in order to maintain the arrow speed, I should shoot a lighter total grain arrow to offset the lower poundage.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rbell420 View Post
    Thanks. I just figured in order to maintain the arrow speed, I should shoot a lighter total grain arrow to offset the lower poundage.
    You could switch to Gateway Rayzrs, which weigh 1.4 grns each or 4.2 for all 3 instead of ( for instance ) Blazers which weigh a total of 18 grns, a weight saving of 13.8 grns, that would lower your total arrow weight by almost 29 grns, also increase your FOC. Just another thought.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade