Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This year's euro mount

Post Thanks / Like

Default This year's euro mount

My old man decided to mount my lil buck just for fun. He's not a giant, but it turned out pretty decent.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2012 Rytera Nemesis in vista camo
    equipment list
    • Strings by BOW STRING DEPOT (Formerly hutch n sons archery)
    • octane stabilizer
    • 3/16 meta peep
    • HHA ol5519 sight
    • QAD ultrarest HDX in realtree ap
    • fuse 3 arrow quiver
    • saunders hyperglide cable slide

Post Thanks / Like

That looks great! Your dad did a good job. I am going to mount my little guy. He really is little compared to yours but everyone keeps telling me I need to mount it since is was my first deer.

I don't know where to start really but I'll eventually get it done. If you have suggestions I'm all ears.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

Looks great!.

Post Thanks / Like

That rack has nice symmetry.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pizzadave View Post
    My old man decided to mount my lil buck just for fun. He's not a giant, but it turned out pretty decent.
    Did your dad clean the head or have it sent to the beetle guy? If he did the cleaning, tell us how he did such nice work, please. Good looking mount.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

look great ...nice mount
    how did he get it so clean
    It's all fun an games till you put that big boy on the ground.. now its time to get to work
    Martin cougarIII elite nitrous C cam X system & HHA
    Darton Fury recurve

Post Thanks / Like

Well.... I have only helped him do one once before. The way he does it is he uses an old roasted.... And literally cooks the skull. Just gets it submerged below the antlers. Said that once u cook it, all of the junk inside and out just falls right out! And he takes a small pick and pulls it all out. Then he leaves the skull in a bucket of bleach and water, just long enough to brighten it up. The two things u gotta watch for.... If u over cook it, or bleach for too long, it will make it brittle. So its a learning game. We have tries to bury the skull and so it that way. It works well, but sometimes squirrels will eat the antlers... Sooooo u gotta keep an eye on it.... That's all I've got guys! Thanks for the compliments
    2012 Rytera Nemesis in vista camo
    equipment list
    • Strings by BOW STRING DEPOT (Formerly hutch n sons archery)
    • octane stabilizer
    • 3/16 meta peep
    • HHA ol5519 sight
    • QAD ultrarest HDX in realtree ap
    • fuse 3 arrow quiver
    • saunders hyperglide cable slide

Post Thanks / Like

ok So all but the bleaching I have done...good to know I am half way there...

I will add to do this OUT SIDE guys you wife girlfriend and or mother will kill you...if done inside..... it stinks i use my camp stove and an "OLD" pan that also will get you into hot water with that skull
    It's all fun an games till you put that big boy on the ground.. now its time to get to work
    Martin cougarIII elite nitrous C cam X system & HHA
    Darton Fury recurve

Post Thanks / Like

When I do mine I am going to make a paste out of Oxyclean (or equivalent) as it is a peroxide. You can also go to a beauty supply store and get different strengths of hydrogen peroxide pastes they use for bleaching hair. Put it on for a while and rinse of and see if it is to the whiteness you want. If not, do it again. You can also redo sections that are more heavily stained.

If you bury it out side wrap the antlers in a plastic garbage bag first to protect them. After burying the skull place a bucket over the antlers to keep critters out.

My biggest obstacle is going to be coming up with the wall mount. It will be a balancing act between outdoorsy and what momma will let in the house.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ElkSlayer View Post
    ok So all but the bleaching I have done...good to know I am half way there...

I will add to do this OUT SIDE guys you wife girlfriend and or mother will kill you...if done inside..... it stinks i use my camp stove and an "OLD" pan that also will get you into hot water with that skull
    In fact even you will be PO'ed that you choose to do it inside, I boiled my feral pig skull, stunk the whole area up, so bad that I let it sit for a day after, only to find that my dog beat me back to it and all I had left was a tusk !

http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade