Thread: My Martin Bow

Post Thanks / Like

Default My Martin Bow

I'm not sure when I got my Martin Cougar Magnum but it was when they first came out, somewhere around thirty years ago. I love this bow, it never gave me any trouble the only thing I ever did to it was change the string, sights and rests when they wore out. It's still as strong and fast as the day I bought it. Everyone raves about the Mathews bows but as far as I'm concerned there's only one bow and that's a Martin!

I'm almost 59 years old and my Cougar is big and heavy so I'm thinking of getting a new smaller model but I still want the seventy pound draw. I like the New Cougar can anyone give me their opinion of it?

Thanks,
    Uncle Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry UB, but the bow is still too new to have any first hand knowlege of, unless of course you happen to be Ryan or Terry's Uncle. However if it even comes close to the performace of the other Cougars that have been in Martins line-up, it should be a great bow, am still awed by my 2004 Cougar III.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    I'm not sure when I got my Martin Cougar Magnum but it was when they first came out, somewhere around thirty years ago. I love this bow, it never gave me any trouble the only thing I ever did to it was change the string, sights and rests when they wore out. It's still as strong and fast as the day I bought it. Everyone raves about the Mathews bows but as far as I'm concerned there's only one bow and that's a Martin!

I'm almost 59 years old and my Cougar is big and heavy so I'm thinking of getting a new smaller model but I still want the seventy pound draw. I like the New Cougar can anyone give me their opinion of it?

Thanks,
    Uncle Bob
    I looked at the cougar also on web site looks like a nice shooter,those cams will store alot of power also.You might want to consider a 60lb version too,these newer bows are just so fast at 60lb.But as always try to shoot it if you can but i would say you cant go wrong with any of the 2012 bows.

Post Thanks / Like

Say Uncle Bob, got any photos of your old Cougar? Would love to see an old Cougar, especially if it has a wood riser.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

You're bringing back memories now. I had a cougar 30 years ago. It had metallic green paint. That was back before factory camo jobs were common. I do remember seeing plenty of bows with spray can camo jobs. It was a nice bow for the money back in the day.

Post Thanks / Like

My guess is its the same as last years firecat. without the trg and sos it should be without its most severe problems. mine(fc 400- dual cam) is an absolute nail driver! i'm only 32 years old and a fairly big strong fellow(6'2'' 225lb) 60lbs. theres no need to pull more. i am up north eh and after sitting in sub zero for three hours pulling 70 lbs can be quite a chore if at all possible. shooting 60 lbs allows me to shoot lighter arrows which makes a huge difference in arrow drop at 40 yards. i do shoot most critters within 15 though. my dealer sold me the 70 lb model just so he didn't have to order another bow. but i'm fine with pulling 60 its so stinking fast anyways. and my last bow was a bowtech and it didn't hold a candle to this one
    2011 Firecat 400, sword twilight hunter, apa twister, lots of arrows

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elkslayer4x5 View Post
    Say Uncle Bob, got any photos of your old Cougar? Would love to see an old Cougar, especially if it has a wood riser.
    Nothing close up. I will clean it up after bow season, take a picture and post it. If I remember right it has a magnesium riser and maple composite limbs.