Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Had a great season this year more deer in one year then ever before

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elkslayer4x5 View Post
    Congratulation on another venison doner. The .243 has been very popular ever since its introduction for the exact reasons you mentioned.
    My .270 makes for a lot more bloodshot meat than my .243 for sure. I let the boy use the .243 since it shoots flatter in case he miss judges the distance. The thing about the .243 is they usually drop right there.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

Daughter in law shoots a .223, does the same sort of damage to deer as it did to people which is why the armed forces adopted that round, high speed bullets fragment on entry, deer usually drops right there, but I'll still pack my .270 unless I forced to go bigger, then it'll be the .338 Win Mag. Lets see 'em stand up after that round goes thru 'em!
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

This next year I should have a couple of custom builds completed. One in 260 ai, and one in 6.5x50. The 260 is a dream rifle I've always wanted, but in the process of building it I'm leaning more towards a little slower round that imparts more energy. I will post some pics when they are done and a report on how they work on deer. I'm thinking even better results then what I've used previously, with little recoil, in short easy handling rifles.
    "If Darwin saw the same sunrise and sunset, that I see from a duck marsh, or my tree stand; then he would know there is a God, and that He created all of it." -Ford-

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ford View Post
    This next year I should have a couple of custom builds completed. One in 260 ai, and one in 6.5x50. The 260 is a dream rifle I've always wanted, but in the process of building it I'm leaning more towards a little slower round that imparts more energy. I will post some pics when they are done and a report on how they work on deer. I'm thinking even better results then what I've used previously, with little recoil, in short easy handling rifles.
    It almost sounds as if you're describing the 6.5 X 55 Swedish Mauser, 140 grain bullets at 2600 fps. Capable of taking most big game in the lower 48 states and a great deer round.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on a great year Ford. Glad to see you had such great success. I agree, the .243 is about as good a deer rifle as anyone could own. I use my .257 Weatherby for most of my deer and antelope hunting, but I think the .243 is every bit as good, and a heck of alot cheaper to shoot! lol
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

The 6.5x50 is what the japanesse used in ww2, or at least the early parts of it. It is similar to the 6.5x50 but a bit slower, smaller case, less capacity. I've heard the recoil is extremly low, but the knockdown power is really good, and there is hardly any recoil. The dimensions are very similar to a 250x3000 or commonly known as the 250 savage. Just with a 6.5 mm bullet. I fell in love with the 6.5mm, it penetrates deep because of it long slender bullets, bucks wind better then most 30 cal bullets, and retains speed well with high bc. Add that to a short easy to carry low recoil rifle and its a winning combination. Its my 3rd 6.5mm project in the last few years.
    "If Darwin saw the same sunrise and sunset, that I see from a duck marsh, or my tree stand; then he would know there is a God, and that He created all of it." -Ford-

Post Thanks / Like

I would like to get a 6.5 Grendel upper for my AR and take it hunting. I would have no problem shooting deer, hogs, black bear or anything we have here in OK including Bigfoot. Ford, put up some pics of that laminated stock you built for the .243.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

Default stock pictures

stock.jpg
    stocktip.jpg

This is the stock I made for my stevens 243. Its from richards micro fit stocks. The inletting wasnt horrible, took a few hours to get things where I wanted them. Had to square everything up. It was pretty thick everywhere and I reduced it some, if I had to redo it I would take more off. The gun balances well but it feels a little heavy. I cut the stock to my length of pull, adjusted the grip to my hand size, and cut down and shaped the forend to a schnabel tip. Has a limbsavers recoil pad, it reduces recoil very well, but doesnt grind cleanly and leaves some residue on the pad. I put the sling swivel studs in, and finished the stock with about 4 coats of tru oil hand rubbed. I like the look, but the tru oil had a tendency to yellow the lighter colors in the wood, it suppose to be black and gray. Pictures arent great but its a cell phone and its the best I can do for now. it was a good experience, took about 40 hours or so to complete. I cant say I would jump on a richards stock again, if you have plenty of time and patience they arent bad. The quality of wood could be better had some air pockets that made sanding a real pain, but what can you ask for when you spend 75. Im happy with it, just learned a few good lessons with it.
    Last edited by Ford; 12-18-2011 at 05:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks good, you did an excellent job. I like the colors and I really like the Schnabel fore end. I have that on my Anschutz 1416D and I really like them. I have one on a 702 Plinkster that is the boys now that I think of it.

I have never tried making a stock but I kind of like these plastic stocks. I'm over pretty guns I have to worry about keeping pretty. I go for the utilitarian approach and don't worry if I bang the stock against a tree or it gets caught in the briars trying to cross through the tight stuff. I'm not negligent, but I just don't worry as much with the plastic stocks as I do with my Anschutz and that is nice.

I'm now trying to find a gun that is capable of good 250-300 yard shots (deer deadly, not sub-MOA) that is as short as possible (legal of course). That would be so much nicer trucking through the woods. I thought about a AR with a bull pup stock. That would be handy or a very short break action gun like a Handi-rifle or Rossi. If I really liked it then I might get a TC Encore or TC Pro-Hunter.
    Last edited by MLN1963; 12-19-2011 at 11:51 AM.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

wife has a Handi and its deer deadly for sure just a .223 4x5 also has a 25-06.. great single shot rifles..
    they both have custom stocks made buy 4x5. thou the forend is stock in this picture.223.jpg
    It's all fun an games till you put that big boy on the ground.. now its time to get to work
    Martin cougarIII elite nitrous C cam X system & HHA
    Darton Fury recurve