Thread: New verses Old

Post Thanks / Like

Default New verses Old

I bought my Martin Cougar Magnum some where around thirty years ago. It is still an awesome bow today! It has lost nothing, still fast, still pulls at 70 lbs. It is also 46" axle to axle and weighs 7 pounds.
    I'm going to get a new Cougar when they are available. This bow is 14" shorter than my old Cougar and half the weight. It may be a little faster too but not much

I know I will be asking for advise from everyone because with the old Cougar I shoot fingers and I know with the new shorter bows I will need a release. I also shoot the old autumn orange arrows that I can't get anymore. Easton has recommended arrows they say are the same but they just aren't as tough as the old Autumn Oranges.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    I bought my Martin Cougar Magnum some where around thirty years ago. It is still an awesome bow today! It has lost nothing, still fast, still pulls at 70 lbs. It is also 46" axle to axle and weighs 7 pounds.
    I'm going to get a new Cougar when they are available. This bow is 14" shorter than my old Cougar and half the weight. It may be a little faster too but not much

I know I will be asking for advise from everyone because with the old Cougar I shoot fingers and I know with the new shorter bows I will need a release. I also shoot the old autumn orange arrows that I can't get anymore. Easton has recommended arrows they say are the same but they just aren't as tough as the old Autumn Oranges. Bob
    Not so sure about that, UB. Easton makes some pretty tough carbon arrows, as do the mob of other arrow manufacturers. Check 'em out but be forewarned about sticker shock, arrows have gone up!
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Elkslayer I was just talking about plain aluminum arrows. I was looking for the aluminum arrow that took the place of the "Autumn Orange XX75". The new aluminum arrows just don't seem to be as tough.

When I get my new bow I'm going with carbon. I just don't know that much about them anymore. The old Cougar bow and the Autumn Orange arrows were it for me. Now I want a smaller lighter bow.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    Easton has recommended arrows they say are the same but they just aren't as tough as the old Autumn Oranges.

Bob

Try the xx78 or X7 arrows, I went from a 2117 xx75 to newer 2312 xx78's and lover the new arrows, the uni-bushings are great compared to the old glue on nocks, and the xx78 are thougher than the xx75's. Have not and any out of true shafts for years now!vv

I have a 1984 Bobcat Magnum and a 1988 Couger MT-6 that both shoot better and faster with the new shafts.

I would make the switch to carbon for the new bow! they are great for speed and accuracy from the center shot style risers.

Try 'em out, and have fun!!!!
    Keep on shoot'in