Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Threshold

Post Thanks / Like

Default New Threshold

Hello all, new here I just had UPS drop off my new Threshold yesterday. The last time I shot a bow was 30 years ago and it was my wood riser Warthog so I can't wait to knock the rust off. Are the 2012 bows out yet? The reason I ask is my Threshold came with the Mantis rest, 26 to 31 inch draw, M-pro cam with modules, 36 1/4 ATA, and it also appears to have a lighter next g1 camo on it.
    The first time I drew the Threshold back I thought I was in big trouble as every bone in my 48 year old upper body popped. So I had the draw WT. checked and it was 75 lbs. out of the box. It is now set at 60 lbs. and feels smooth and easy to pull. I will be taking the bow out to shoot Friday so I will let you know how it goes. I will be shooting Gold tip Hunter 5575 shafts cut to my draw with Blazer vanes and 100 grain field tips. Never shot with a peep sight or release should be a good time. Have a great Thanksgiving.

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Chip, Nice to have you aboard. The reason your bow was so far over Max weight (70#) is the specs say it is suppose to be 36.75" ATA but you said yours was 36.25" ATA that would put the extra 3lbs on the bow. The Max pounds over a 70# pound bow should be 2#'s. Sounds like a good set up let us know how that mantis performs. And don't wear the arm out too much.

Speed: 305 FPS
    Let-Off: 75%
    Draw Weight: 40# to 50#, 60# to 70#
    Draw Length: 25” - 30”
    Brace Height: 6.9”
    Weight: 4.2 lbs.
    Axle Length: 36.75”
    * Approximate

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the welcome Hutch, I did notice that the specs on my bow sticker were different then the 2011 specs and seemed closer to the 2012 setup. Good to know info as to why the draw weight was 5lbs over max. I wonder if Martin made changes in later 2011 set ups as I have read allot of people didn't care for the fall away rest. I don't know but it feels like a solid well made bow can't wait till Friday.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the board, lot of very knowledgable guys here, and none of them out to bash anybody or their bow choise. Since the introduction of the Threshold, we've heard from a lot of new archers, who were very happy with their bows. Welcome back into archery, you're gonna love how your Threshold shoots. Now about that ole wood riser Warthog, could you post a few pics of her? We love old bows around here.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elkslayer4x5 View Post
    Welcome to the board, lot of very knowledgable guys here, and none of them out to bash anybody or their bow choise. Since the introduction of the Threshold, we've heard from a lot of new archers, who were very happy with their bows. Welcome back into archery, you're gonna love how your Threshold shoots. Now about that ole wood riser Warthog, could you post a few pics of her? We love old bows around here.
    Thank you for the welcome elkslayer, sorry I have no pics of the old Warthog I do miss it. The bow was a great looking bow and shot well I liked it better than my whitetail hunter and Kodiak compounds I sold both of those. My ex-wife must of liked it as well because it went missing during our separation. Lesson learned when a separation happens leave with a U-Haul for all your stuff. Thank the lord we were not buying the house at that time, when I moved back in I was the proud owner of a burnt cookie sheet, kitchen towel, and all credit card bills.

The kids all went together to get me the Threshold for Christmas, they gave it to me early so I could maybe get some practice in and if it goes well some late season deer hunting. If I don't feel confident then I will have the off season to practice for the next season. I have not tested it out yet, but by the way it looks and feels it should be an effective bow for hunting of course that is up to me and I am in no big hurry to hunt with it until I think I am good enough with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum seems a few people are using the threshold,ive seen a few post about that bow,should have good speed with a ibo of 305fps.I also use those gold tip arrows,one thing you might watch for,i dont know if a bad batch is out there but i have had a few knocks split on me which caused a semi dry fire.Happened twise so far,just a heads up.
    Anyway have fun and shoot straight..................................

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Speedykills View Post
    Welcome to the forum seems a few people are using the threshold,ive seen a few post about that bow,should have good speed with a ibo of 305fps.I also use those gold tip arrows,one thing you might watch for,i dont know if a bad batch is out there but i have had a few knocks split on me which caused a semi dry fire.Happened twise so far,just a heads up.
    Anyway have fun and shoot straight..................................
    Thank you for the welcome and the heads up. Things have changed since I use to have bows. The knocks on the new arrows turn so they can be indexed properly, the bows are fast, small, and solid can't wait to shoot tomorrow should be fun.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    Thank you for the welcome and the heads up. Things have changed since I use to have bows. The knocks on the new arrows turn so they can be indexed properly, the bows are fast, small, and solid can't wait to shoot tomorrow should be fun.
    If your like me it's a vert addictive sport,can get expensive at times but it's all worth it...........

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Speedykills View Post
    If your like me it's a very addictive sport,can get expensive at times but it's all worth it...........
    He's right , I bought my first recurve in 1966, and I'm looking for another now. And now you're back after 30 years.
    Been down that other road as well, got a phone call at work, come home to empty house. Wecome back !
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning, took my new Threshold out for the first time yesterday so I thought I would give you a little run down on how it went. I will start with the setup and some of the conditions. My Threshold came with the M-Pro cam, striker sight, six arrow quiver, and a mantis full capture rest. I have added a peep sight, a string D loop, cat whiskers, and a camo limb saver spiral stabilizer. The bow is set at 60 lbs with a 30 inch draw. I shot 5575 Gold Tip hunters 29 inches long, blazer vanes, and 100 grain field tips. I shot using a true fire release.

My brother came with me and shot his PSE Nova, I don't know much about his set up except for what I saw on the bow. He was shooting a whisker biscuit rest, brass pin sight, six arrow kwicky quiver, string D loop, cat whiskers, six inch stabilizer, and a release. I don't know the poundage, and draw length he was shooting. We were shooting at my brother in laws home that sets on top of a hill in the middle of his 150 acre hardwood and pine lot. The day was nice around 50 degrees sunny and and around 10 to 15 mile an hour wind gust.

We were shooting into a bag target with maybe 2 and a half inch circle bulls on it, range first guessed then checked with a range finder. I chose to start at ten yards due to the fact that the bow had never been shot and of course it has been 30 years since I have shot a bow and I wanted to reduce the chance of sending my arrows off into the woods. I was first up from ten yards, my first shot struck the target two inches left of the center bull. I took another arrow from the quiver and that shot hit two inches left of the center bull a quarter inch below the other arrow. I took the two arrows out of the target and backed up to 20 yards and began to empty the quiver. On the fourth shot it sounded like one of the arrows struck another one in the target so I stopped and began shooting just three or four at a time. The shots from twenty yards were still a couple inches left of the center bull and stacked tight together.

My brother was up next with the PSE, he skipped ten yards and shot from 20. His first shot struck the target high and to the right around ten inches in both directions. My brother was struggling to get a good grouping, but at least all of his shots seemed to be high right and not all over the target. We shot at least 25 times from 20 yards and made sight adjustments and backed up as far as we could to the house 28 yards and the groups were pretty good from the Threshold a few bulls with all them around the bull. I did throw around a half dozen shots mostly high but not off the target. My brother did struggle, but stuck with it and by the end of the day he got a couple of two inch groups. My brother in law did have a 3d deer target set next to the woods 40 yards out so on my last arrow I just had to take a crack. Well I now have five arrows instead of six. I shot just over the targets back and into the woods. Needless to say I will be getting a range pass for the year at our local indoor range, 75 dollars for the year will pay for itself in not losing arrows.

So in conclusion, I will say that I still need to do much practicing going from fingers and no peep to release and peep I take to long to line things up, plus I need to reduce my thrown shots as well. The bow, smooth easy draw straight and plenty fast way way faster then the PSE. I know the PSE is older and I don't know the set up, but my brother bought it from a friend and it has taken deer so it's fast enough for hunting. It was nice to shoot with my brother and have another bow out there as well. The Threshold was quiet more so then the PSE, I thought about getting bowjax for the limbs when I first got it, but no need for them. The mantis rest was great quiet no signs of the arrow hitting anything as they blistered down range fast and true. The quiver that came with bow is as good as any I have ever had mounts nice and snug no rattles or noise. The sight while the mounting hardware is metal the pins and round protector are plastic so this is a possible upgrade, it will work for me. While shooting the bow vibration through the riser was minimal, to be honest I never really noticed any vibration that would create any issues. Martin has in my opinion created a winner here, the only new bow that I can think of for 199 that in the proper hands can be a hunting machine that is fast and easy to shoot. All I can say to those who give this bow a bad rap you better check yourself and the set up because once I get my form down this will be one threshold a deer won't want to cross.