Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Youth or regular bow

Post Thanks / Like

Default Youth or regular bow

My daughter really wants to go bowhunting next year and is pestering me to get her a bow. She is 13 and will be 14 at next fall. I measured her dl at 27.5. I have no idea how much wieght she can draw. My question is should I be looking at youth bows or should I just get her a regular bow{martin of course} anyone start thier kids out at this age?

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry my son and grandkids were younger ...but if she is 27+ now skip the kids bow ...buy that girl a real shooter (martin) some thing in the 40-50 range she is going to shock you on the draw weight....have her try a few out at 35 lowest setting you can get a 50lb bow... My 13 yearold granddaughter was shootin 40 @ 27 so is the son But he makes it look easy... good luck to her.Gald to here she is bugging dad bigtime good for her
    It's all fun an games till you put that big boy on the ground.. now its time to get to work
    Martin cougarIII elite nitrous C cam X system & HHA
    Darton Fury recurve

http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ElkSlayer View Post
    Sorry my son and grandkids were younger ...but if she is 27+ now skip the kids bow ...buy that girl a real shooter (martin) some thing in the 40-50 range she is going to shock you on the draw weight....have her try a few out at 35 lowest setting you can get a 50lb bow... My 13 yearold granddaughter was shootin 40 @ 27 so is the son But he makes it look easy... good luck to her.Gald to here she is bugging dad bigtime good for her
    Thks ES yeah a couple months ago she asked but i thought it was a passing fad but she keeps asling
    Its a great feeling to have her interested. Will give us some great times together

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rpalt1 View Post
    Thks ES yeah a couple months ago she asked but i thought it was a passing fad but she keeps asling
    Its a great feeling to have her interested. Will give us some great times together
    trust in this.... Act fast show her your complying, that 14 year old attention span is short...shorter if... Well we wont say the B word. Had 2 girls my self...
    turn your bow down see if she can pull.. hey got a hand held bow scale...I used mine to check my kids DW and it gets ya close wont even need to turn bow down for that test..
    Take her to the pro shop to test some bows see what fits her... BTW and this is Key Let her Pick out the one she likes... How would you like someone to hand you a bow that you realy dont like and say shoot it lots.. If she is in on it from day one its going to meen way more to her.. trust me lots of wifes bows forsale..for this exact reason they hate um and or can handle the DW their husband Knew they could handle.. so start there, AT classies look for adds thats say "wifes bow"
    It's all fun an games till you put that big boy on the ground.. now its time to get to work
    Darton Fury recurve

Post Thanks / Like

From personal experience, I can tell you that there very few feelings like being out-shot by your child! My son started bugging me for a bow when he was 5, but that was back in 1970, nothing but toys avaible for him at that time, he had to wait another year before he could truly handle the 15# rosewood recurve I got him. He sold it to another Dad in 1989 , who had 3 boys. He still regrets selling it.
    So is your local shop having a black Friday sale? Get her to the shop, Dad, time to take the girl hunting! Can't tell you how excited I am for you.
    Last edited by elkslayer4x5; 11-24-2011 at 07:22 AM.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elkslayer4x5 View Post
    He sold it to another Dad in 1989 , who had 3 boys. He still regrets selling it.
    Can't tell you how excited I am for you.
    Me too man i have 4 bows in the house that would fit her 2 are at 27-28 an 40lbs.. (son an granddaughters) 2 more at 30 and way short 23"..lol
    Yes I sold my 1st rosewood bow to a 8 yearold boy with 2 younger brothers. He used his Own money and He maned up and asked me to sell it to him aftet he shot it most of the summer...I miss that bow My kids would have enjoyed it.. I sleep good at night seeing the huge smile on the young lads face when he took it home to His House telling his younger brother NO you Cant shoot it its mine now... i reminded him that he will grow out of it as i did and Hey look at the bows I shoot now. he desided they could have it when he was done..lol kepping the sport growing as your daughter will
    Darton Fury recurve

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks we just spent the past hour looking at different bows, all she knows right now is that she likes red lol
    No pink though! lol I'll take her out this weekend and have her look at bows

Post Thanks / Like

LOL Me too. all my bows have red some place. congrats on the new shooter keep us posted and dont for get pictures of the new rig
    Darton Fury recurve

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Congrats! I have three young girls, hopefully they will show some interest!
    2007 Martin Wildcat / Jaguar 55# Dw 29" DL, Wildman Fly Series Quiver,Nap Apache Drop Away Rest, 28" Beman, ICS. Bowhunter 400- Custom Camo Hutch-n-son wrist sling

Post Thanks / Like

red target bows shoot better. i have a red martin mystic and a samick recurve with a red riser.