Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Thanksgiving I won't forget!

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default A Thanksgiving I won't forget!

Took the daughter out hunting. We were only a half a mile from the house. We I saw 3 deer in the valley. I showed my daughter where the deer were and had her go to the top of the hill. The 2 does stayed but the buck left. The daughter started to pull back and I could see the true hunter come in her. But she let up because the doe was coming up closer. I looked back at the doe I had in site. Only to find out it was standing next to me at 25ft away. I turned and shot. Rats it hit a small tree. The doe looked at the tree so I knelt down and shot her again. Whoooo hooooo complete pass thru great. I looked over at the daughter and she was still watching that doe and unfortunately the doe got nerved and ran. So in our wait we went and looked at a trail cam. We cam back in 40min. We started tracking and soon found blood. We also found my arrow broken in half from hitting a rock of-course. After we found more and more blood trail and where she laid down a few times. So I figured we would be seeing her soon, so I called my son on the talkies and he caught up with us. Once we got down to a thick wooded area we noticed that a bobcat was trailing her. Too though of terrain for us getting dark and dangerous we started heading back. Too dark too late so here we go compasses and head lights. To no avail we found ourselves in front of a body of water. Snow covered the ground and some of the water and water holes etc etc. Too dark too late to dangerous! So we called home on the talkie and got no one. Went to higher ground and finally got my wife. We had her beep the horn and still we couldn't hear it. So we prepared to spend the night. Started a fire told the wife we were lost and she called for help. 3 hours after I talked with the wife they arrived. The conservation officer said we were so close to getting to where we were headed except that the swamp was the road block. It took them approx 2 hours to walk 4/10ths of a mile. The terrain is though. In all my years of hunting I have never been lost, so I would tell you it ain't fun. But I thank God for answered prayers! we are all safe and sound.
    Nov 24,2011 hunting lost 0.jpgNov 24,2011 hunting lost 3.jpg
    Nov 24,2011 hunting lost 5.jpgNov 24,2011 hunting lost 6.jpg
    Hutch
    Last edited by Hutch~n~Son Archery; 11-25-2011 at 06:43 AM.
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

dang buddy glad to hear you and the kids a good.crazy how that works out.we never think it will happen till it does.i seen a pack in one of the pics so i take it you pack for a worse case situation.you did everything right,call for help,start a fire....glad yall are ok

now where did the doe go

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gravedigger View Post
    dang buddy glad to hear you and the kids a good.crazy how that works out.we never think it will happen till it does.i seen a pack in one of the pics so i take it you pack for a worse case situation.you did everything right,call for help,start a fire....glad yall are ok

now where did the doe go
    Yeah GD we were well prepared. Even as close as we were to our house we go prepared. As it goes for the doe she is in a bobcat belly!

Hutch

Post Thanks / Like

yikes ...glad to here your all ok no fun being out after dark.. worse when the kids are with you...makes you worrie more.
    Bill glad you got the shot an conected , I take it no recovery due to lost in the dark. maybe today ? looks plenty cold. Whew just gald your all safe and warm now ...better luck on the next hunt..
    It's all fun an games till you put that big boy on the ground.. now its time to get to work
    Martin cougarIII elite nitrous C cam X system & HHA
    Darton Fury recurve

http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/

Post Thanks / Like

not trying to jack but my buddy put us in the samp spot as you were in,except he was looking for arrows,mine and his.i did not care so much about mine.but he just had to find them,got dark,he was no prepaired..no watter nothing.me on the other hand...i have enough stuff in my pack to keep 2 people fed,watted,warm,first aid,and lighted for at least 5 days.i dont care if im going on a moring,day or week hunt.

to the folks that think they wont need the extra batterys,lighter,flintstick,food,watter pure tabs let hutchs story be a lesson for all of us.pack for a worse case situation and hope for the best.we never know what will happen.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gravedigger View Post
    to the folks that think they wont need the extra batterys,lighter,flintstick,food,watter pure tabs let hutchs story be a lesson for all of us.pack for a worse case situation and hope for the best.we never know what will happen.
    Yep he was just out his back door... never leave the truck / house with out your pack, full of gear for the "What if"... Bill was able to make fire... Key to one lasting the night... it alone calms the mood. Im sure he will tell you he felt better once it was blazin... Hope it was a warm one Bill
    It's all fun an games till you put that big boy on the ground.. now its time to get to work
    Darton Fury recurve

Post Thanks / Like

Hot Dang, Bill.
    Happy to hear ya'll made it ok.
    Not good to have that happen. I would be talking to Santa about a hand held GPS right about now.
    Don.
    I am sponsered by Louie Rangle-- Gator Feathers by Gator vanes...www.gatorvanes.com Deer Crossing Target shafts. Specialty Archery Timberdoodle ll rest. Bow String Depot Cables and String.
    I Shoot a 2012-SepterV and a 2011-Shadowcat
    I shoot Bowhunter, not barebow--fingers non-sights.
    Enter-ZESTY at checkout at Deer Crossing Archery- http://deercrossingarchery.com/
    For a 10% discount on all products, other than ECO Hunter shafts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don B View Post
    Hot Dang, Bill.
    Not good to have that happen. I would be talking to Santa about a hand held GPS right about now.
    Don.
    2nd that... E bay Bill E bay Brad
    Darton Fury recurve

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don B View Post
    Hot Dang, Bill.
    Don.
    Yeah Don, but even that wouldn't help. The terrain was to risky. Too many holes covered by snow.

Hutch

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch~n~Son Archery View Post
    Yeah Don, but even that wouldn't help. The terrain was to risky. Too many holes covered by snow.

Hutch
    Bill you did the right thing sit tight till light ..lucky for you you didn't have to wait to long for help. So any news on where she went or did Ole Bob have a good thanksgiving too..
    Darton Fury recurve