Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let me introduce Myself

Post Thanks / Like

Default Let me introduce Myself

My name is James but I go by Jimbo (Bo). I'm from Alabama and I'm just getting back into hunting. I haven't been since I was a little boy. I've always loved it but never had a place to hunt or money to join a club. The place my dad took me when I was a boy is hours away and nowadays running my own business seems to toss the hunting trip to the wayside. Now I'm married, 29, and have a buddy who just leased some land 45 min away. I'm so excited to get back into the hunt.

It's amazing what is now on the market that I had no idea existed. I've already bought a new bow, had it's draw fit to me and had a few add ons installed. I'm shooting dead center at 20 yards but still need to site in at 30 and 40....or maybe I should set it to 20,30,50? I dunno...

The bow I bought was a 70lb Martin Exile 2011 model. I love it!! It's compact and looks great. It came with sights, rest and a quiver. I got an excellent deal on it and 6 Victory Vforce V1 arrows. My broadheads I selected was 100gr NAP Thunderheads. I like the look of the more traditional broadhead.

I've posted in another thread about my rest and I think I'll go Trophy Ridge Revolution although I had been eyeing the WB before I saw the TRR. What is the difference in the Micro and Non-Micro TRR?

Also, I've ben seeing these cool glowing nocks. Saw them at BPS (nockturnals) and I'm thinking about picking them up. I'd hate to lose those expensive arrows/broadheads. You guys have luck with them? Are they legal to use in Alabama?

Are there any other cool gadgets I need to look into? I need every advantage I can get. Still looking for my first kill. I'll post when I get it.

Here is my setup. What do you think?

Thanks guys and good luck hunting!

Bo

photo (7).jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Nice setup there. As far as your question about the micro & none micro aspect of the TRR rest. The micro version has fine tuning adjustments as well as the basic main vertical & horizontal adjustments. They are more expensive.
    Testing testing

Post Thanks / Like

Jimbo, welcome to the forums. Although not totally necessary this was a nice intro by you. If you regularly check in here you'll notice that there are some guys without a life (LOL) that just live on here; me included. Feel welcome to join any discussion and ask questions as you see fit. We are not Martin employees here. A few staff shooters, but basically just Martin or archery enthusiasts. Our primary focus here is to help others, learn from each other, and just have fun.

I suggest you read the Sticky at the top of the forum about the rules and guidelines. Although not hardnosed we like to stay on topic in threads, but some hijacking does go on. I tolerate it up to a point as sometimes it is just fun to converse with each other. Anything not archery related can be handled in the Off Topic Forum. Anything bowhunting related goes in that section.

So again, welcome and may you have fun here and learn.

Barry
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum James. That looks like a good setup, congrats.

Post Thanks / Like

I think that its great that you've come back to bowhunting, and that you choose this web site to introduce yourself to, welcome back. My name is Don, but the guys here call me 4x5. I too was out of bowhunting for several years and when I came back, I came to this site, and a few others but mostly here, as my post count reflects.
    The 2011 Exile has made a lot of first time archers very happy.
    Rests... I'd go with the Trophy Ridge Revolution over a whisker bisquit any day. The difference between a Micro and a non-micro is the ease of adjustabilty, just easier to adjust the micro, better markings.
    You'll have to check the hunting regulations for Alabama, here in Oregon we're not allowed to have ANY electronic devices on our bows. There are tons of gadgets and dohickeys to add to your bow, but you already have everything you need to take deer. Watching an evening of Hunting TV will give you a good idea of what is now avaible.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

welcome Bo
    you will find just about everything you want to know here.. If not Just ask, one of our don't have a life guys will gladly answer it..

Good looking set up, Do you only have 3 pins if so 25 35 45 may work well... 15 yard gap is a bit rougher to split...most setups can easly handle the 10yard split any target in the mid range (between pin) one just brackets say it is set as i sujested and target is 50 just place 45 above aim point and let her rip same for 30 place the 25 and 35 top and bottom same goes for the odd distance just move the bracket
    good luck and enjoy your new toy
    It's all fun an games till you put that big boy on the ground.. now its time to get to work
    Martin cougarIII elite nitrous C cam X system & HHA
    Darton Fury recurve

http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Jimbo,
    Welcome to the Martin forum, real good folks here.
    Don.
    I am sponsered by Louie Rangle-- Gator Feathers by Gator vanes...www.gatorvanes.com Deer Crossing Target shafts. Specialty Archery Timberdoodle ll rest. Bow String Depot Cables and String.
    I Shoot a 2012-SepterV and a 2011-Shadowcat
    I shoot Bowhunter, not barebow--fingers non-sights.
    Enter-ZESTY at checkout at Deer Crossing Archery- http://deercrossingarchery.com/
    For a 10% discount on all products, other than ECO Hunter shafts.

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Jimbo, Hunting with a bow, yeah just can't beat it.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the Martin family Jimbo! Lots of great people and help on here!Congrats on the new bow, hope you love it!

Post Thanks / Like

high five and a welkies to he forum Jim ,great times r to be had doing the bow fer sure ,most of your questions can be answered here, great bunch of follks fer sure, nice bow good luc on the hunt,