Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: who knows about cameras

Post Thanks / Like

Default who knows about cameras

i bought this for my wife as a b-day gift.seen it on walmarts website and i bought it because it was in my price range,and she work there so the discount she gets that i used that she does not know about helped toits a Canon PowerShot SX130-IS Black 12.1MP Digital Camera w/ 12x Optical Zoom, 3.0" LCD Display.my daughter broke my last digital camera so this is what the wife is getting.we are not pro photo shooters,just want to take pics of the kids and cool stuuf we see in the mountains.so is this camera any good or is it just one of them "it will do the job "kind of things.she also got a new preintr/scanner/copyer thing and a tent for the back yard so she can smoke her cancer and stay dry.i spent a grip of cash on this stuff and could have bought my new bengal but points with the wife will get me a new bow come tax returns

Post Thanks / Like

GD, that's a heck of a good camera. I have the SX120 version. It takes a little bit of learning, but takes amazing pics, and is pretty easy to use once you get accustomed to it. It's the best digital camera I have owned, and I really like mine. I'm sure she'll love it.
    2008 Moab 70# The deer killing bow
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Gravedigger,

I don't know much about the model that you bought, but Cannon is a top brand. It's also good that you bought one with 12x optical zoom instead of digital zoom. I think 12 mega pixels is more then enough for most people, to me the glass is more important than a high pixel count. I have a Pentax K-100 DSLR that is 6 mega pixels and it takes great pictures due to the fact I can put a high quality lens on it. The reason I went with a Pentax is that I shot a Pentax 35mm in the 80's and I had some really great old lenses that work on the Pentax digital bodies. Had Pentax not made their bodies compatible with all of their old lenses, I would of looked into a Cannon Rebel DSLR. I think she will love it, oh and enjoy that new bow when you get it.

Note: Pentax is the only manufacture that makes their DSLR'S compatible with all of their legacy lenses. I wanted to make that clear just in case someone with a Cannon or Nikon 35mm would read this. I would not want see someone buy a digital body to find out they had to buy lenses for it after reading this.
    Last edited by Chip; 11-30-2011 at 12:35 AM. Reason: To add a note.

Post Thanks / Like

I figured this would be a good thread to attempt to post an image I took with the Pentax.

IMGP1618e.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

For what you are trying to accomplish yeah it is a nice camera. If you where looking to any more than everyday photography, family type stuff on trips and what not, I would suggest the DSLR. You get a ton more capability and control over the photography. Still the PowerShots have been pretty innovative with what they can do and I'm sure you will be happy with it.
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gravedigger View Post
    i bought this for my wife as a b-day gift............ Canon PowerShot SX130-IS Black 12.1MP Digital Camera w/ 12x Optical Zoom, 3.0" LCD Display...........
    I think for the price that is one of the better cameras out there.........started looking a 2-3 months ago at getting a new camera. Did quite a bit of research and read many reviews, and came real close to buying the SX130. I really like the 12X optical zoom and other features it has that I like on my others Canons like optical image stabilizition, plus price seemed very reasonable. Only reason I didn't buy that model, is that I decided I wanted something more compact this time.

Currently I have two digital Canons, they are both well made and both take really nice pictures. My oldest one is a S2IS, 5MP w/10X optical zoom. When my previous Pentax broke (an old WR90 film) , I bought it to be my primary camera and ended up packing it along on all my outdoor adventures. It's still a very nice camera (other than it's tiny 1.8" LCD display sucks in bright sun light), but a bit big for hauling around outdoors.
    Wanting something smaller I got the A590 in '08 and it has accompanied me through all my hunting trips and strapped to the handlebars on dirt bike trail rides....... It has held up well to 3yrs of outdoor/offroad abuse, but it's 4X zoom just isn't enough at times, I've cracked the battery door in rocks and soon after the AA battery life started getting very poor.

Ended up getting the new Canon ELPH 310 HS last week (or will.....guess the wife decided Santa will bring it for xmas )
    At 8X (28-224mm), it doesn't have quite the optical range of the SX130 (28-336mm) or zoom on my old S2IS (36-432mm) that I like so much, but it's an actual 60% greater than my A590 (35-140mm) and I like the compact size.
    Also not real keen on the rechargeable battery.....AA batteries like in the SX130 and my others are so easy to change in the field and can find in most any back country store if needed......but I'll get a spare and adapt.
    2009 Martin Bengal M2 Pro Cam w/factory STS & CCS.....66lbs, 29" DL, 422gr @ 272fps, Winners Choice string/cable, Trophy Taker drop-away Rest, Scott Release
    1996 Martin Firecat XRG Pro Series w/Ultra Sonic wheels.....69lbs, 29" DL, 465gr @ 245fps, w/fingers & Martin leather glove

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    I figured this would be a good thread to attempt to post an image I took with the Pentax.

IMGP1618e.jpg
    Chip, did you have that blue as a back drop or add it digitally? My wife is starting to do more with her Canon T3i(?) and wants to do some portrait stuff.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

thanks fot the input fellas.for only paying 180 W/ a case.tripod,and memorie card i just could not pass it up.need to capture the carzy things my kids do..whle there still kids.

Post Thanks / Like

good camra alright... they have a good track record.... I want a rebal...
    I have a nikon cool pix l22 Its got more features then I use IT is MY camra stays in my pack... we have a nother 12 x digatel for the grandkids and all the lifes fun moments ... good deal for you stock up the wife on her B day so tax time is a new bow...you old dog your learning....lol
    It's all fun an games till you put that big boy on the ground.. now its time to get to work
    Martin cougarIII elite nitrous C cam X system & HHA
    Darton Fury recurve

http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ElkSlayer View Post
    good camra alright... they have a good track record.... I want a rebal...
    I have a nikon cool pix l22 Its got more features then I use IT is MY camra stays in my pack... we have a nother 12 x digatel for the grandkids and all the lifes fun moments ... good deal for you stock up the wife on her B day so tax time is a new bow...you old dog your learning....lol
    that right.a guy has to give a bit to get a bit.i thought a camera,printer and a stay dry cancer smoking tent thing would buy me an A-ok for the bow

although a new rangefinder and arrows maybe gps is almost sounding better then a new bow.maybe a new string set from hutch to.not 100% yet on what i want.as a good huby it my job to make the wife happy so i can get the cool toys with out feeling like i did somthing wrong.lol.

we are planing on taking a famly portrat thing infornt of this watter fall my wife and i used to visit,thats depending on hwy-6.if its going to be icey and snow coverd then no waty will i take my kids on that hwy.its known as a death hwy because of all the stupid people that think they can do 100mph and not roll there rig over the cliff.cant wiait to try it out,just came via fed-x yesterday