Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Our New Martin Exile is Super Loud! Sounds like a tuning fork! Help

Post Thanks / Like

Default Our New Martin Exile is Super Loud! Sounds like a tuning fork! Help

Aloha All!
    I need help! I'm a pretty seasoned archer and hunter. I do my own tuning and have a couple bow presses an have pretty good idea of how compounds work but I gotta say I'm really bummed with my son's new Martin Exile RH 70lb bow. After I set it up, I shot about 2 dozen arrows thru it and it's shooting super loud. Almost like a tuning fork sound. I've owned over dozen compunds over the years including a 2009 70lb Cheetah(one of my all time favs) and can really hear the difference. My current line up includes a Z7, a GT500 and a Vendetta XS. I know these are mid to high end bows and have more features that help with silencing the bow but the sound that this bow makes is not good for the type of deer we hunt here on Maui. Axis Deer are quick and have been known to jump shots by dip down before jumping. They are super sketchy and you gotta be super quite to spot and stalk these. I bought him this bow because of my previous experience with my Cheetah(had a string stop on it) and don't remmber it have any sound like this. Here are the specs for the bow-

Martin Exile 55-70lbs, RH, Acu-Trak Cam and the TRG. No String stop.
    I just set it up with a first gen Ripcord drop away, John Cooper Dead Nuts 2 sight, an Apex Stabilizer and wrist sling.
    Checked the ATA-ok, the tiller settings-ok and checked center shot-ok and leveled out the arrow with levels - 0 degrees(flat).
    Set up the draw with the F-4 Module which I think is the right mod for a 27.5 draw length. (Please let me know if that's wrong) Adjusted the draws stop.
    I shot four different arrows thru it - a Carbon Express Terminator 60-75 full length, a Gold Tip Hunter XT 5575 28.5", ICS Hunter 400 28.5" and Cabela's Stalker Extremes 65-80 28.5". The sound was the same with each arrow.
    I'm using a d-loop and a Tru Fire Edge 4 finger release.

The one thing I didn't realize on these New Martin's is that they don't have a hole for a traditional string stop and they are using the TRG on this model(the 2012 Exile and Exile Pro have a standard carbon rod with teflon slide and no TRG and Fury Cams, I wonder if they were having problems with the TRG?).
    Would the optional CCS be better or adding the the optional string stop that mounts to the TRG help?
    Or adding a front mounted SST style string stop? Kinda think that wouldn't be good due to the new quick-lock stablizer mount(lining up problems).
    I would like some feedback from anyone who has had the same problem and was able to fix it. Thanks guys!

Post Thanks / Like

welcome to the forum.martin is no longer useing the TRG and SOS,so give CS a call and they will send you a standard rod/slide.the CCS is not a option for the exile because it is not slotted for it,2010 was the last year martin bows took the CCS.for sure you should get a forward mount STS,toss some cat whiskers on it and mayby a heavyer arrow aswell.

check cam timeing because if it is off it too can make the bow a bit louder.a good ball of cat whiskers,cam timed and a forward mount sts should help a lot.my good buddy has a exile and it is perty darn quiet.could also be the E-clips buzzing and some string wax applied to them should help.make sure everything is good and tight,mod screws ect.

keep in mind you dont need a press to work on a martin bow,backing out the limb bolts will do the trick to give ya slack in the string.

the F-4 mod sounds about right for his DL.

and happy hunting

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks grave digger, I appreciate the quick reply. I truly believe this bow, under normal circumstances is a quite bow. I just think something is just off. I'll call CS tomorrow. In the mean time I'll throw the whiskers on and rewax strings and the e-clips too. I'll check all screws too. I'm also going to try my G5 sight, which has a vibration dampener built-in, to rule out the Cooper as a culprit. Not to mention the rest too, I'm going try a Whisker Biscuit.
    Do you have a link to a post regarding can timing for the Acu-Trak cam? Also what front mount string stop would you recommend? Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joecc3 View Post
    Thanks grave digger, I appreciate the quick reply. I truly believe this bow, under normal circumstances is a quite bow. I just think something is just off. I'll call CS tomorrow. In the mean time I'll throw the whiskers on and rewax strings and the e-clips too. I'll check all screws too. I'm also going to try my G5 sight, which has a vibration dampener built-in, to rule out the Cooper as a culprit. Not to mention the rest too, I'm going try a Whisker Biscuit.
    Do you have a link to a post regarding can timing for the Acu-Trak cam? Also what front mount string stop would you recommend? Thanks again.
    as far as front mount string stops go...i really dont know.i have never used them or looked into them.my bengal is a 2010 so i never thought about reading up on them f-mount stops.but i im sure some of the others on here can recomend something for you to look at.now for the acu trac cam timeing...i started a thread some time ago on this and had some good pics posted on it.tell ya what,i know my cam is timed for the most part and i will take a pic and post it up for ya.
    my buddy does not have a string stop on his bow.he only has whiskers.

another thought would be to try a stab on it.i hear they help but then again i have never ever used one so i dont really have any first hand knowledge on that.

but i can tell you your boys bows can be noise free.

Post Thanks / Like

Another way to find noises, is to hold onto the bow with one hand and with the other palm, strike the limb with the heel of the palm. Start at the top and work to the bottom. It puts just enough vibration into the bow that you can isolate where the noise is coming from. I did this when I first got my bow and found a bad stabilizer, and later after shooting a while, my sight started making noise. This method worked both times.
    2012 Alien X

Post Thanks / Like

my 2011 onza 3 came with the TRG, it was a lil loud for my liking, once i took that off and went with the standard slide, it was MUCH quieter

Post Thanks / Like

Recheck the timing of cam and idler, can be noisy when not in sync, just like your 09 Cheetah. For sure call CS and get the cable slide assembly, as the TRG did'nt work as planed.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys for the suggestions, I really appreciate it! Well, I got the cat whiskers on and changed the rest to a new Trophy Ridge Kill Shot Whisker Biscuit and doing both off those did help a little. Still making a tha-wang sound on release . Also changed the my release form a Tru Fire Edge 4 Finger release to a Tru Fire Edge wrist release and changed the Apex 4" Stabilizer to a Fuse Axium 7" Stabilizer. That didn't make that much of a difference. I did wax the e-clips too, but I did that the same time as the Cat whiskers but not sure if that made any difference. Last thing to check is the wheel timing and change the sight to the G5 Optic LE. I keep missing Customers Service operating hours because of the time difference in Hawaii but I hope to catch them next week and get a a replacement Cable rod and slide, because I seriously think that is the culprit. I really do like the way this bow shoots and it pulls nice, so I really want to make this work. I'll keep you posted. Mahalo!

Post Thanks / Like

i had to replace my nylon washers in my idler wheel to get rid of the thwang sound.i just took it apart and went to ace hardware matched them up with what they had.i also got some a bit thicker and some the same size and some a bit thiner.cost me around 1.00 to fix it.

Post Thanks / Like

For sure the trg/sos needs to go. One thing about the sos was that it's right in frontof your face so it can sound really loud. I did the changeover but could not mount the sts as my early made Onza rizer is not cut to recieve it. Bought a Limbsaver Frontmount and it has noticably quieted the bow down, a bit ugly but it works. You will have to serve what ever part of the string that contacts the sts.