Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Victim Number 3

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by darkember View Post
    Anybody tried smoking the hams??
    I wish I knew someone with a smoker, that might be good.
    Firecat 400

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

i've thought about shootin a small doe and puttin in a big smoker like is used for a hog roast. i bet that would be delicious! excellent job on the processing,Mark. better than i could ever do.
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

Post Thanks / Like

Life got in the way of finishing the process. The quarters and rest of the meat are in the coolers with ice jugs until morning. I have a doe to do tomorrow so I may get it deboned first and then do all the slicing at once.

My boy shot 2 deer last Sunday night within 5 minutes of each other. He thought it was the coolest thing. I thought about how much work it was going to be!
    Firecat 400

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I understand MLN, my son goes my car oil light is on. And all I can think is how much work is this going to be!

Oh btw congrats on your hunting season looks like your making out well.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, we have been lucky this year. Especially for a couple of rookies. Sadly, we are going to lose the bow hunting spot soon I believe. The owner lost his job and is going to try sell it to move to someplace else. This will be a sad, sad day since I could be in the blind in 20 minutes after leaving my house.

Ok, I need to get to Vic #3 so I can go get Vic number 4 out of the cooler and teach my son how to process his own dang deer!
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MLN1963 View Post
    Yes, we have been lucky this year. Especially for a couple of rookies. Sadly, we are going to lose the bow hunting spot soon I believe. The owner lost his job and is going to try sell it to move to someplace else. This will be a sad, sad day since I could be in the blind in 20 minutes after leaving my house.

Ok, I need to get to Vic #3 so I can go get Vic number 4 out of the cooler and teach my son how to process his own dang deer!
    What where has he been for all 3... your slippin man, buy now you should be the one watchin...lol
    good job looks like you well on the way to lots O sausage...
    are you wraping the deer while it hangs... YES i hope..
    May be easer to take neck off to clean up. thats what we do...

btw sure looked clean and neet....Good job now for the test come do our elk next year...lol
    It's all fun an games till you put that big boy on the ground.. now its time to get to work
    Martin cougarIII elite nitrous C cam X system & HHA
    Darton Fury recurve

http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MLN1963 View Post
    It's getting closer!

Yep, looks a lot like what we do with 'em, as ES said remove the neck, and it'll be easier to get all the meat off the bone. Great job, now where's the boy, he's got two to learn on.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ElkSlayer View Post
    What where has he been for all 3... your slippin man, buy now you should be the one watchin...lol
    good job looks like you well on the way to lots O sausage...
    are you wraping the deer while it hangs... YES i hope..
    May be easer to take neck off to clean up. thats what we do...

btw sure looked clean and neet....Good job now for the test come do our elk next year...lol
    The boy has been in school or at school functions while I do them.

The deer is wrapped in it's skin while it hangs. I took that pic after I skinned it and started cutting it up. The hams did hang exposed for a couple hours yesterday while I went to the wife's Christmas party but it was 34 degrees out and no insects were flying.

I thought it was easier to cut the meat off the neck when it was hanging. I had the weight of the deer to pull against while I cut the meat free. I cut the last one off and did it on the counter but I thought it was more work that way.

I may have to let the last deer hang one more day as I want to go hunting tonight. Gun season ends tomorrow night. I got there too late last night and scared off 6 deer going in and never saw them again. Long story involving road hunters and someone who I think was scoping out my truck to do what I don't know?
    Firecat 400