Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: onza 3 speed issues

Post Thanks / Like

all speed helps u with is missing faster...lol
    besides if speed was your deal then you should ponied up the money for a pse omen pro or mathews monster.. .with a ibo of over 350 you should be close to the 300 mark at 60 pounds and your 29 in draw..If you bought the onza be cause it was a great price just be happy with what you are getting for speed. I shot a Hoyt vulcan maxed out at 73 lbs at 30 in with a 410 gr arrow was shooting 309 fps...89 ft lbs.. My new bow with sore shoulders of older age is 62 lbs same arrow shooting should be close to 285 fps and 70 lbs of ke... Suits me just fine... I use to shoot a 53 lb recurve that was shooting 192 fps!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just be happy
    Last edited by jnordwell; 12-04-2011 at 06:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Only 295? I'd be pretty satisfied with that - how much faster do you REALLY need? I mean, yeah it is possible, but are you really going to notice it unless you are shooting through a chrono with every shot? I don't have enough experience with arrow speed, so this could be a way off comment, but I'd say 295 isn't anything to shake a stick at.
    2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

302 on AT, must be faster on that site.
    A little common sense goes a long way, unfortunately it's in short supply!

Post Thanks / Like

Vegas Steve

What is the serving like on your bow. My FC400 had so much unneeded serving on it that it wasn't even funny. I had like 13" on the string from where the optional STS went up past the TRG. I got rid of the unneeded and my bow was still not to the IBO speeds corrected for my DL and DW. It was about 12 fps slow from what the calculations said it should be. Anyway, you seem on top of things but thought I would mention what was up with my bow and thought it might relate to yours too.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

I havent owned an Onza but I lean toward agreeing with Vegas.My Nemesis set at 63# and 29" with an ibo weight arrow would shoot 313fps.That was with stock strings.You might want to look at the cam rotation and maybe wrap them up a bit tighter.Your not going to get lots more out of it but it should shoot 310 at least.All the Ryteras I've had will hit the bottom number of the ibo spec.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm getting 302 fps at 73# draw, 383gr. arrow, 28.25 inch draw length. Whiskers, D-loop, and peep on the string. That's pretty close to the low end of IBO specs for the Onza. I'm thinking it's gotta be something with the bow you have. Cam timing, not wrapped enough, something....
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous C
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vegas steve View Post
    i recently purchased an 11' onza 3 and can't seem to get any speed out of this bow. at 29" draw this bow is nowhere near ibo with my current setup. 29" draw length,63lbs.,322grn linejammer, new 8125g string with three speed nocks at each end 3/16ths metapeep and small d loop. bow only went 295fps! i deleted the trg,went with a conventional cable rod and slide, and went with a lower sts. this gave me about 3 extra fps. this bow should be netting at least 318fps with this current setup. any advise would be greatly appreciated.
    I was curious, so using your posted specs and low end of Onza3 listed IBO rating of 330-340, I ran it thru a OnTarget2 program.
    Not sure which Linejammer arrow you use or length (must be pretty short) but finally got one down to 322grs..............Program calc'd 306.41 fps

Assuming bow is tuned/timed right as mentioned:
    Did you verify against another chronograph?
    Was chronograph in good outdoor light?
    Double check draw weight w/another scale? (one of our bow shops in town swears it's scale is right on, but shows my bow 6-7lbs heavier than mine (that I know is correct) and 2-3 others I've tried)
    I have had slightly lower fps right at first with new string until shot in a bit, but not more than 2-4fps lower
    2009 Martin Bengal M2 Pro Cam w/factory STS & CCS.....66lbs, 29" DL, 422gr @ 272fps, Winners Choice string/cable, Trophy Taker drop-away Rest, Scott Release
    1996 Martin Firecat XRG Pro Series w/Ultra Sonic wheels.....69lbs, 29" DL, 465gr @ 245fps, w/fingers & Martin leather glove

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by droppixel View Post
    Only 295? I'd be pretty satisfied with that - how much faster do you REALLY need? I mean, yeah it is possible, but are you really going to notice it unless you are shooting through a chrono with every shot? I don't have enough experience with arrow speed, so this could be a way off comment, but I'd say 295 isn't anything to shake a stick at.
    thats not what i paid for.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SJunior View Post
    302 on AT, must be faster on that site.
    ended up being a fluke. bow only shot a best of 297,rediculous.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jnordwell View Post
    all speed helps u with is missing faster...lol
    besides if speed was your deal then you should ponied up the money for a pse omen pro or mathews monster.. .with a ibo of over 350 you should be close to the 300 mark at 60 pounds and your 29 in draw..If you bought the onza be cause it was a great price just be happy with what you are getting for speed. I shot a Hoyt vulcan maxed out at 73 lbs at 30 in with a 410 gr arrow was shooting 309 fps...89 ft lbs.. My new bow with sore shoulders of older age is 62 lbs same arrow shooting should be close to 285 fps and 70 lbs of ke... Suits me just fine... I use to shoot a 53 lb recurve that was shooting 192 fps!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just be happy
    look guys i wasn't looking for advise on just being satisfied with a slow bow. if all you have to offer is crap like this then please do not comment on this thread. i'm looking for REAL technical advise, not opinions on what i should be satisfied with.