Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: onza 3 speed issues

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jnordwell View Post
    this calculator is not even close to being accurate

Post Thanks / Like

Post #25 and 26 is trying to be helpful.
    The bow will make stated IBO speed if it is set up correctly.
    Have you tried giving Joel at Martin a call and discussing it with him?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vegas steve View Post
    man you guy just aren't getting it. i'm not saying that i should see 330-340 at my specs, i'm saying that i should see what simple math shows for my specs,figuring the shorter draw length,less draw weight and less arrow weight, my onza should be shooting at least 318 fps.
    Steve,

Wow!!!!!!! Welcome to the forums. I see that everybody is stating IBO specs as they are rated. You aren't shooting IBO specs, but I do say what you are saying. I don't care how anybody else looks at it you are shooting close enough to the 5 gr/lb ratio (70#/350gr). The only real loss you should have is for the 1" less draw length which should be between 10 & 15 fps. Subtract another 5 fps for the loop and peep. Give everybody the benefit of doubt and subtract a total of 20fps.

So subtract that from the low end range advertised and you'd be at 310 fps. So yes, I do see what you are saying.

I don't know if you're aware of it, but on AT there is an old thread about optimizing performance from the Cat cams. I'm not good at posting links, but if you can find this it might get you into the ballpark. The analogy is that these cams produce more speed if they are wrapped up more.
    Search for the thread and see what you can do with it.

IMO most bow speeds are inflated by about 15fps. Most all companies. Hoyt seems to be an exception.

I would tell you that the numbers you are getting are fairly close in comparison to both my Ryteras with Hybrix cams. I shoot 27" draw (measured) and at 42# with a 209 gr arrow or 47# with a 230 gr arrow both bows shoot around 277 fps. These are both 3D setups. Being as I don't hunt anymore I try to get all the performance I can. When I hunted I could care less about speed. I shot a lot of deer years ago with bows shooting 200 fps or even less, but that is not the issue here.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

thats not what i paid for.
    Fair enough, but did you just pay for the speed or did you pay for performance, quality, etc? There has to be something off with the spec/timing if you aren't satisfied with how it is shooting right now. Was this a stock set-up for a random shop, do you know who set it up, did you set it up yourself? All of that could have a lot to do with what is going on.

look guys i wasn't looking for advise on just being satisfied with a slow bow. if all you have to offer is crap like this then please do not comment on this thread. i'm looking for REAL technical advise, not opinions on what i should be satisfied with.
    Looking back, I think a lot of people have offered good advice at where to look and as well as chimed in on some opinions. Everyone here is pretty chill and there is no reason to get all worked up over a forum post. If you want REAL technical advice, be patient with what people have to say here - or go get REAL technical advice at a shop.

Not to be a jerk, but the overall approach for someone new to the boards isn't that great - take it slow, there are a lot of good regular guys here that can trouble shoot a lot more than most.
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Default Just curious

Are you sure the chrono your using is accurate?Is there another range you could try and see if you get the same results?I've heard they can be quite fickle,each one varying wildly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elkslayer4x5 View Post
    IBO speeds are achieved with a 70 # bow, and a 30" draw not a 64 #er and a 29" draw. But you are 28 grns light on your arrow. just sayin.
    and i'm pretty sure those ibo's are achieved by shooting the bow with a machine and noughting on the string and no fletching on the arrow, there's no way to get close with a 63# bow @ 29 draw length!
    curtis

2010 nemesis camo, 2011 nemesis carbon fiber,
    2010 onza 3 camo,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bowgramp59 View Post
    and i'm pretty sure those ibo's are achieved by shooting the bow with a machine and noughting on the string and no fletching on the arrow, there's no way to get close with a 63# bow @ 29 draw length!
    I'll vouch for the fact that nothing is on the string when testing, but for what he's got on the string it should only make about 3-5 fps difference.
    I do disagree with whether the shaft has fletching. This doesn't matter so long as the total arrow weight is 350 grains. The fletching won't slow the arrow down until it's farther down range or at least well clear of the bow.

Do have to agree about lighting for the chrono. Flourescent or poor lighting can make a world of difference. I've noticed some major differences between chrono's too, but I attribute most of that to the lighting differences.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

I just found this video and was pretty suprised that this bow can actually get within the ibo speed. Heres the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNld3...eature=related

Post Thanks / Like

im shooting the 2011 onza 3 ... set at 63lbs ... 29"DL .... with a 320gr Victory Vforce HV 350 and i chrono'd out at 316fps ... id say check the timing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotehunter11 View Post
    I just found this video and was pretty suprised that this bow can actually get within the ibo speed. Heres the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNld3...eature=related
    Quote Originally Posted by CKI View Post
    im shooting the 2011 onza 3 ... set at 63lbs ... 29"DL .... with a 320gr Victory Vforce HV 350 and i chrono'd out at 316fps ... id say check the timing
    yere we have it.a member getting great speads and ike from youtube(and archery talk) getting the speeds.proof enough allright.