Thread: Using fobs for hunting???

Post Thanks / Like

Default Using fobs for hunting???

I used fobs for a breif time. never hunted with them for the fear of them faling off while beaten the brush. Anyone a fob user out there?? Have any issues with them falling off while going thru brush?? Thought about super glueing them on but thought mgiht be a bad thing. I had a short a to a bow and needed to buy the accu nocks to be able to shoot them. So I sold all of the ones I had... But now that I have a 41 in a to a bow was thinkin of trying them again.... any thoughts??? I use the trophy ridge crush arrows if that helps with the q and a.

Josh

Post Thanks / Like

I have a simple solution. Put the FOBs and nocks in your pocket and install them when you get to your tree stand or ground blind.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MLN1963 View Post
    I have a simple solution. Put the FOBs and nocks in your pocket and install them when you get to your tree stand or ground blind.
    not everyone hunts from a stand or blind.i walk and track.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Josh. I'm a Fob shooter going on 4 plus years. I'm also one of Paul's Morris' Hunting Staffers. In 4+ years I've only had one fall off during Spot and Stalk. It was my fault. I'm a 100 percent ground pounder...I was going through some thick sage, as i passed through i felt my bow hangup but i decided to pull hard forward on the bow. I walked about 50 yards when I decided to look down and I noticed one of the fobs missing. I backtracked to where my bow got snagged and found the fob on the ground. I placed it back on and continued my hunt. The Fob is desighned to pop off during pass through's on critters. less friction and the possibility of the arrow getting caught up at the fletching which can happen with feathers and vanes. Upon a pass through, the fob drops on the ground and becomes the marker for the location of your shot just in case the animal takes off and you need to track it. I usually leave the fob on the ground and retrieve it after I have found my animal. I do recommend that you use bright arrow wraps on the shafts for easier recovery. I lost 4 arrows the first year I used fob'ed arrows. i didn't know i was supposed to use arrow wraps. I couldn't find them in the brush behind my Archery Target. Do not glue them on. it defeats the purpose of the fob. The fob should be snug but not tight. There are two types of Fobs, Standard Fobs and Axis Fobs. It's hard NOT to group as I love to hear Arrows smack each other but we don't recommend grouping with Fobs. Sooner or later you'll break a couple. ONE Spot, ONE Fob'ed arrow. A tube of Fobs can last a long time if used wisely. If you shoot 3-D with others i recommend that you use the black Fobs. it's harder for others to make out the fob. For hunting, I recommend orange, White if there's no snow but my favorite is PINK. It's very visible.I will post pics later for you but right now I'm having internet issues, I have crappy Sat internet. What your DL and ATA?. If you go to the www.starrflight.com website contact Paul via email and give him your Bow Model, ATA, DL, Arrow type, broadhead type and weight and the Drop away you'll be using and he will be able to tell you if your set up will be good to go. If you call him he usually answers right away. He is a good guy and love's to help Archers out. I was using Accunocks way back when it wasn't even cool now it's more seen. I don't have fob/string contact so I really didn't have an issue. I switched to beiter nocks. They are a little expensive per Nock but the weights are right on and firm on my Harvest time Archery Arrows. If your having String/Fob contact all you have to do is make the D-loop a little larger and add serving in the Loop to space the loop apart. Some folks say that Fobs are noisy. The noise caused from the airfoil causes some drag which is directed from the airfoil back to the shooter. I have never had a Animal jump or duck my arrow. I tell this to any Archer whether they use Fobs or standard fletching....Quiet the string. By the Time the Deer looks around...It's too late...the Arrow already passed through. Fobs Show their value in Windier conditions. They fly about 3-4 fps slower than my blazer arrows because of the extra drag but you gain stability.
    Simon
    Quote Originally Posted by jnordwell View Post
    I used fobs for a breif time. never hunted with them for the fear of them faling off while beaten the brush. Anyone a fob user out there?? Have any issues with them falling off while going thru brush?? Thought about super glueing them on but thought mgiht be a bad thing. I had a short a to a bow and needed to buy the accu nocks to be able to shoot them. So I sold all of the ones I had... But now that I have a 41 in a to a bow was thinkin of trying them again.... any thoughts??? I use the trophy ridge crush arrows if that helps with the q and a.

Josh
    Last edited by Double S; 12-04-2011 at 06:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gravedigger View Post
    not everyone hunts from a stand or blind.i walk and track.

I have a treestand that has never been used... only my feet. last yr I elk hunted I was putting on 6 miles a day +/- for a week.... lots of brush..

Post Thanks / Like

I used them on a Hoyt Vulcan 30 in draw. 33 ata... new bow is the matrin shadowcat. 41 ata so the string issues will be no worries. I did use them I liked them alot just wondered about them falling off in the brush of western washington. Do you know if they still have the off colored ones at a cheaper price?? either way might try them again after xmas...Thanks for the imput.

Post Thanks / Like

I have them and like 'em a lot. I elected not to use them for hunting because I like lighted nocks better. More specifically, I like my arrow that has passed thru an animal or brush to retain the lighted nock for recovery. This is nothing against FOBs, it is just my personal preference.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

Paul was getting rid of the off colors one's. I believe he only does that after the off colors stack up. There's nothing wrong with them flight wise, Just the color wasn't right. I don't know if your military but Paul offers a discount to Active military all year long.

I used them on a Hoyt Vulcan 30 in draw. 33 ata... new bow is the matrin shadowcat. 41 ata so the string issues will be no worries. I did use them I liked them alot just wondered about them falling off in the brush of western washington. Do you know if they still have the off colored ones at a cheaper price?? either way might try them again after xmas...Thanks for the imput.

Post Thanks / Like

Paul offers all active and retired military a bonus. Buy one tube of fobs and get a second for free. You have to admire a man that does that. I know I do!
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

Westren Washington, I've got two nephews living in Bremerton. Neither bow hunt So you're another Blacktail hunter, got a couple of brutes on our trail cams, now if we can just see 'em during legal light, got stand in both locations, maybe we can close the deal one one or both of them. First pic is while he was still in velvet.... Enjoy!

Put on some more mass and those tines really reached out.

This is 1/4 mile from the tall 3 by 3, the bigest buck we have on camera. A beautifull 5 x 5, love the chocolate color of his antlers!

http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade