Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Eastman Outdoors Smoke Summer Sausage Question No, Help!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm doing it in the oven and all is going well so far. I am at 140* internal temp and so far there has been no dripping. We used an 85/15 blend instead of the 70/30 many use and maybe that is why we are drippings free so far? I'm headed to the 152* internal temp per the instructions above. So far so good and keeping my fingers crossed!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MLN1963; 12-06-2011 at 09:48 AM.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

oh yea looks good , pass the crackers.... hey where's the drooling icon
    It's all fun an games till you put that big boy on the ground.. now its time to get to work
    Martin cougarIII elite nitrous C cam X system & HHA
    Darton Fury recurve

http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/

Post Thanks / Like

looking good. In the future When you start hanging summer sausage. I recommend that you double tie the ends and flare out the open end and tie again. It protects against a bad knot or bursting open.

Post Thanks / Like

I spoke with Eastmans and they said to go to 165* for 3 minutes. Hy-Country doesn't give an number but lead you to believe over 140* is good. Eldon's says 152*. Hell, I don't know what I should go to now. What temp do you guys go to?

Don't have a bucket big enough so I will spray these with water to cool them down. I read that on some site to cool below 120* to prevent bacteria from growing.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

I would go with the eastmans 165*... then cool as you plan to...
    Hows it smell...look real good ... nice job, now are you glad you took the time ?
    It's all fun an games till you put that big boy on the ground.. now its time to get to work
    Darton Fury recurve

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, but I was up until nearly 3 am with this little project. I way underestimated the time it takes to do it. I have school tonight and then need to make another 15 pounds of snack sticks. I hope the filling of them little suckers go well! That should last me a while not to mention really fatten me up too! Next up is large batches of Jerky!
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

Whoops did i for get that part... yea very time consuming.. wait till you do that large batch of jurkey...BTW let sit in a brine for days if you can up to 6
    On the bright side while your eating the end product.. its Soooo wort the 3 am this one time... you will get the feal for the time it takes and start accordingly..
    Darton Fury recurve

Post Thanks / Like

I just got done with the cooling and packaging. Just in time for class! I hope we get out early so I can get started on the sausage sticks! I'm wondering if I should do 15 pounds our not? Hmmmm...

ES

Tell me more about this brine deal for the jerky! And of course I want the brine recipe!
    Firecat 400

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MLN1963 View Post
    I just got done with the cooling and packaging. Just in time for class! I hope we get out early so I can get started on the sausage sticks! I'm wondering if I should do 15 pounds our not? Hmmmm...

ES

Tell me more about this brine deal for the jerky! And of course I want the brine recipe!
    Could you stop talking about food your making me hungry!

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

We make sure to get the internal Temp of the meat to 160-165 degree's for a few minutes. Pull them out and they go directly into a bucket of water and ice to cool down before vacuum sealing. Then to the freezer.

We use for the brine,
    1/3 Brown Sugar, 1/3 Brining Salt to every 1 Quart of Warm water. Mix well making sure to fully cover the meat with the liquid. Sometimes you'll need to add a weight to the top to keep the meat submerged. Cover with plastic and place the bucket in the refrigerator. We ussualy leave it in a day for Jerky. It depends on how salty you like it. We've done the same brine for whole turkey and other big cuts of meat. I can't stand excessive salt. it runs right through me. The brine above seems to be a happy medium. Make sure you don't use IODIZED salt.
    Last edited by Double S; 12-06-2011 at 02:49 PM.