Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arrow speed??

Post Thanks / Like

Default Arrow speed??

Ok you gurus picking the brains again. I am by no means a speed freak as my shots are 30yds or less. My bow is rated at 315-320fps and no I don't expect it to be that fast. However with my current set up and arrows they come in at 398 after adding 20gr weights to the front end to get my FOC to 12% show only 242fps and 51ft lbs KE. Seems way off but it still works. What are the experts thoughts? All my info is in the sig.
    2010 Bengal,63#, 28dl, Easton ST Excels 400s @ 27.5", GT 5575s @ 27.5", or Beman 400s @ 27.5, ST 100 Magnums/Grim Reapers, older WB, Bonecollector 1100 Sights, LimbSaver "S" coil stabilizer, Grayling four arrow quiver, nocturnal nocks, Hutch-n-Sons cable/strings

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

IBO 320
    DL 28
    ARROW WEIGHT 398
    WEIGHT ON THE STRING 25 GRAINS

I came up with 268fps @ 183 mph
    Kinetic 63 ft-lbs.
    OR
    IBO 315
    DL 28
    ARROW WEIGHT 398
    WEIGHT ON THE STRING 25 GRAINS

I came up with 263fps @ 179 mph

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Hutch that makes me feel better. I used the GT calculator to get my numbers and I like yours a lot better, lol.
    2010 Bengal,63#, 28dl, Easton ST Excels 400s @ 27.5", GT 5575s @ 27.5", or Beman 400s @ 27.5, ST 100 Magnums/Grim Reapers, older WB, Bonecollector 1100 Sights, LimbSaver "S" coil stabilizer, Grayling four arrow quiver, nocturnal nocks, Hutch-n-Sons cable/strings

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by parttimr View Post
    Thanks Hutch that makes me feel better. I used the GT calculator to get my numbers and I like yours a lot better, lol.
    I don't like the calculators, but that is the best I have. This week I hope to order my Chronograph. Then I will know the true speed of my arrows.

Hutch

Post Thanks / Like

Hutch, what chrono are you ordering? I have been looking to dabble in the chrono world myself.

Post Thanks / Like

I did a lot of looking and this is the link to the one I am getting the odd thing is walmart has it the cheapest. Many companies sell it but few at this price.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Beta-Chronograph/4382670

It has great reviews and alot of people I have talked to own one.

Hutch

Post Thanks / Like

Ill cut to the chase,if you want speed go to the nitro or hybrix cams.I had a firecat tr1 i shot through chrono at 57# did a 254fps,with same DL,DW and arrow weight my AX did 284fps.Just a little comparison you might want to think about.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch~n~Son Archery View Post
    ...........I came up with 263fps.........
    I'm not where I can plug this in to my OnTarget2 program, but based on what my Bengal set-up/fps (see sig), I would agree with the 263 fps being close.

The Pinwheel Software for Archers (OnTarget2) http://www.pinwheelsoftware.com/sfa.aspx , is an accurate calculator.......as long as you input accurate data/measurements required.
    It's right there with what my chronograph shows. Program does require an annual subscription, but has a trial download.

My chronograph is a ProChrono, had it since '94 and works very well for my firearm/bow testing, as long as it's in decent outdoor light, and the 9V battery is good.
    Early dawn or sunset light can throws some wild numbers, and indoors it's worthless without good incandescent light kit. The once or twice I've used in below freezing temps, has throw a few some strange numbers too.
    Think it now runs around the $120 range
    2009 Martin Bengal M2 Pro Cam w/factory STS & CCS.....66lbs, 29" DL, 422gr @ 272fps, Winners Choice string/cable, Trophy Taker drop-away Rest, Scott Release
    1996 Martin Firecat XRG Pro Series w/Ultra Sonic wheels.....69lbs, 29" DL, 465gr @ 245fps, w/fingers & Martin leather glove

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch~n~Son Archery View Post
    I did a lot of looking and this is the link to the one I am getting the odd thing is walmart has it the cheapest. Many companies sell it but few at this price.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Beta-Chronograph/4382670

It has great reviews and alot of people I have talked to own one.

Hutch
    The Beta is one of the better units........real good deal at that price. I have a ProChrono Digital that is very consistant..........but is almost exactly 10fps slow using the indoor light kit. Good find Hutch

Advantage Custom Strings

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by archerx7 View Post
    The Beta is one of the better units........real good deal at that price. I have a ProChrono Digital that is very consistant..........but is almost exactly 10fps slow using the indoor light kit. Good find Hutch
    Thanks archerx7 I did a lot of studying what to buy. Arrow Splitter came up with the best places to buy. Now I went to buy it and it is out of stock. Good thing the he found a place only a couple dollars different.

Hutch