Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Onza 3 owners

Post Thanks / Like

Default Onza 3 owners

If been evaluating........OK, let me be honest.........more like fantasizing about a 2012 bow purchase. As part of my usual mental stimulation exercises, I go through all the other brands but as always, I come back to Martin as the best bang for the buck. Lately, the Onza 3 has tickled my fancy. It boast the speed and features of the higher priced brands without that pesky credit card payment that seems to go on forever. So Onza 3 owners........what say you? What are your likes and dislikes.
    Last edited by bfisher; 12-08-2011 at 06:48 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

we could have done without the one comment ! but about the onza 3 smooth bow to draw and fast enough for me, very accurate if you use proper form. be sure you get one that doesn't have the trg system on it, the 2012 bows all should have cable slide and lower sts systems . the picture is before i switched to cable slide and sts.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    curtis

2010 nemesis camo, 2011 nemesis carbon fiber,
    2010 onza 3 camo,

Post Thanks / Like

I took the liberty of cleaning up the OP's post. In answer to paradox, NO you can use the word I changed. I know you meant no harm, but we have kids who read here and their parents might have objected. No real harm so no apology needed.

In answer about the Onza? I haven't shot one so can't comment directly. I do have an Alien Nemisis which is a pretty close cousin. The bow is a dream to shoot. I like the saddleback grip and the Hybrix/Nitro cams are about as smooth a speed cam as you would encounter. In my hands it's not as easy to be as accurate as my Alien Z, but when I do my part it is accurate. Just gotta work a little harder at it. I don't think you'd be disappointed.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Curtis/bfisher

I've heard the TRG system could be problematic. Is the change over an easy one? There are some bargains out there on 2011's so if the price was right, would it may be worth it? My apologies also..........maybe mental anguish would be a better term when thinking about a new bow. These days there are is a bewildering array of choices and of course opinions, not to mention fierce brand loyalty by owners of some bow brands.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    I took the liberty of cleaning up the OP's post. In answer to paradox, NO you can'nt use the word I changed. I know you meant no harm, but we have kids who read here and their parents might have objected. No real harm so no apology needed.

In answer about the Onza? I haven't shot one so can't comment directly. I do have an Alien Nemisis which is a pretty close cousin. The bow is a dream to shoot. I like the saddleback grip and the Hybrix/Nitro cams are about as smooth a speed cam as you would encounter. In my hands it's not as easy to be as accurate as my Alien Z, but when I do my part it is accurate. Just gotta work a little harder at it. I don't think you'd be disappointed.
    Thanks Barry. I also took liberty to slightly change your statement, as I'm sure you meant to say Can'nt. And you're correct, my grandson reads these posts, thanks again.
    Last edited by elkslayer4x5; 12-08-2011 at 07:05 AM.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

i have not shot one but from what i read most people love them.decideing on a new bow can and will drive a guy up the wall crazy.im in the same situation as you,but with a bengal insted.

the trg is ez to switch out.no bow press and maybe 5 10 min of your time to do it.im sure what ever you go with will fit you great.just get out ther and shoot all brands that are crossing your mind.the bow will let you know if its right for you.

Post Thanks / Like

as the onza being my FIRST Martin ever ... all i can say is AMAZING! wish i switched to Martin a long time ago!

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 60# and 70# Onza. They are the two best bows I have ever owned. Fast, quiet, accurate, and easy to shoot. I hadn't shot the 70#'er for over a month, then last night, I took 6 shots at 60 yards. Kept everything in a 5 inch group. That says alot about the bow for me. I do plan on switching mine over to the standard cable rod and slide after hunting season is over, but haven't had any real problems with the TRG/SOS as of yet. I can see where it is slightly starting to wear one the cables though, so I think a change over is a good thing. I just bought a Rytera Alien X, and I still think the Onzas are a better bow. I would advise shooting anything you are interested in, and let the bow decide what you buy. You'll find the one that fits you best, and feels the best to you. That's the one to buy.
    2008 Moab 70# The deer killing bow
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

Thought I would chime in on this topic. I have an Onza and am really happy with it, shoots fast, smooth draw, nice valley. The finish is less than perfect, but over all nice bow. With that being said, I have a decision that I have been struggling with. My dilemma is to sell my Onza, and get a Prime Centroid bow. The Prime bows are top notch quality, the finish is tougher, flawless. The dual upper and lower cams eliminate cam lean, also riser is made of 7000 aluminum. I'm stuck on the quality, but have shot a 2011 Centroid back to back with my Onza and my Onza feels and shoots as good as the Centroid. I feel like the finish on my Onza is cheap, and won't hold up. Martin customer service is awesome, so I have that to consider to.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shoots martin View Post
    Thought I would chime in on this topic. I have an Onza and am really happy with it, shoots fast, smooth draw, nice valley. The finish is less than perfect, but over all nice bow. With that being said, I have a decision that I have been struggling with. My dilemma is to sell my Onza, and get a Prime Centroid bow. The Prime bows are top notch quality, the finish is tougher, flawless. The dual upper and lower cams eliminate cam lean, also riser is made of 7000 aluminum. I'm stuck on the quality, but have shot a 2011 Centroid back to back with my Onza and my Onza feels and shoots as good as the Centroid. I feel like the finish on my Onza is cheap, and won't hold up. Martin customer service is awesome, so I have that to consider to.
    get your sel a cutom paint job..or powdercoat it.see fixed it.