Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Onza 3 owners

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shoots martin View Post
    I feel like the finish on my Onza is cheap, and won't hold up.
    I feel the same way. The kicker was when I used blue painter's tape, the low stick stuff, in the grip area to protect it when putting the bow on my draw board. When I removed the tape camo came with it. I was livid and it added another nail in Martin's coffin in my mind. It is a nice shooter but damn, all these little things are killing me.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

MLN1963,

Thats the kind of stuff that bothers me. I feel everytime I get my bow out, I'm on pins and needles waiting for something to happen again. I do understand that some of this is me, I like to keep my stuff in new condition.

Post Thanks / Like

Great input guys, thanks for your replies. I've heard the finish complaints before on a few youtube reviews of the Onza. With that said, the finish on my 2011 Exile seems pretty much flawless. I still shoot my 2002 Jaguar from time to time and that bow has also proved to be pretty much bomb proof. I'm really not that concerned with its beauty as much as functionality/performance to cost ratio. For beauty, I have 2 wall full of longbows and recurves. I guess when you consider that the Onza cost hundreds less than the equivalent competition, you cold conceivably forgive a few flaws in the finish. I also work right next to a powder coater so I could get crazy if it really bothered me. I've looked at used Bowtecs and Hoyts and come to the conclusion that for the same price, I can buy a new Onza. I've considered used as well as I've seen 2011's priced as low as $300.00. Now that would leave plenty of room for accessories and changing the finish.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    Great input guys, thanks for your replies. I've heard the finish complaints before on a few youtube reviews of the Onza. With that said, the finish on my 2011 Exile seems pretty much flawless. I still shoot my 2002 Jaguar from time to time and that bow has also proved to be pretty much bomb proof. I'm really not that concerned with its beauty as much as functionality/performance to cost ratio. For beauty, I have 2 wall full of longbows and recurves. I guess when you consider that the Onza cost hundreds less than the equivalent competition, you cold conceivably forgive a few flaws in the finish. I also work right next to a powder coater so I could get crazy if it really bothered me. I've looked at used Bowtecs and Hoyts and come to the conclusion that for the same price, I can buy a new Onza. I've considered used as well as I've seen 2011's priced as low as $300.00. Now that would leave plenty of room for accessories and changing the finish.

Yep, can afford to change the finish with the savings. Now about these two walls of bows, How about some photos? We love bow pics here!
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Price wise, I think Martins perform decently, IE good shooters. I think there is a reason that Martin doesn't get the same prices for their bows as the others and that is quality of the bows they are putting out and the reputation they have. IMO It's not that Martin is being nice and giving us "good deals", it's that the market isn't going to bare the price. IMO all bows are over priced for what you get, Martin just isn't as bad. If you look at the used bow market as a whole it is soft, if you look only at the Martin/Rytera used market it is horrible. One thing that Martin/Rytera has going for it is Customer Service. Unfortunately, I have had to use it for numerous things and they have always done whatever it took to get me fixed up. It's just a crying shame that Martin is so well known for customer service. I know that I'm not an isolated incident either, there are too many others on these forums that they have taken care of to make things right. Joel and Brandon(?) have done a lot for people who have bought new and used bows to try make things right.

That said, I am a sucker for a low price. Its why I bought my Martin bow in the first place, speed for a low price. Even after all my woes I bought another for my son because it was a really cheap at the close-out price. He was waffling on using a compound or staying traditional so I wasn't about to pay big bucks for an experiment. I've also made offers on used Martins/Ryteras because for the low price I offered I felt it was worth the risk and I really didn't think the price could drop any more. The funny thing is usually I have been too slow and the bows have already sold for less money than I offered! Will I ever buy another Martin product? Like I said, I am a sucker for a low price and if I get a screaming deal I will not rule them out. One thing you won't see is me paying MAP/MSRP for one unless there are huge improvements in the quality control department.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MLN1963 View Post
    Price wise, I think Martins perform decently, IE good shooters. I think there is a reason that Martin doesn't get the same prices for their bows as the others and that is quality of the bows they are putting out and the reputation they have. IMO It's not that Martin is being nice and giving us "good deals", it's that the market isn't going to bare the price. IMO all bows are over priced for what you get, Martin just isn't as bad. If you look at the used bow market as a whole it is soft, if you look only at the Martin/Rytera used market it is horrible. One thing that Martin/Rytera has going for it is Customer Service. Unfortunately, I have had to use it for numerous things and they have always done whatever it took to get me fixed up. It's just a crying shame that Martin is so well known for customer service. I know that I'm not an isolated incident either, there are too many others on these forums that they have taken care of to make things right. Joel and Brandon(?) have done a lot for people who have bought new and used bows to try make things right.

That said, I am a sucker for a low price. Its why I bought my Martin bow in the first place, speed for a low price. Even after all my woes I bought another for my son because it was a really cheap at the close-out price. He was waffling on using a compound or staying traditional so I wasn't about to pay big bucks for an experiment. I've also made offers on used Martins/Ryteras because for the low price I offered I felt it was worth the risk and I really didn't think the price could drop any more. The funny thing is usually I have been too slow and the bows have already sold for less money than I offered! Will I ever buy another Martin product? Like I said, I am a sucker for a low price and if I get a screaming deal I will not rule them out. One thing you won't see is me paying MAP/MSRP for one unless there are huge improvements in the quality control department.
    I agree and is why I bought my first Martin.Something else Martin has going for them is their traditional line. That used bow market is'nt so soft for Martin's traditional bows.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elkslayer4x5 View Post
    I agree and is why I bought my first Martin.Something else Martin has going for them is their traditional line. That used bow market is'nt so soft for Martin's traditional bows.
    True, I have been looking for a bow for bow fishing and the DH bows aren't cheap when you see them for sale.
    Firecat 400