Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A couple questions on broadheads and dampening

Post Thanks / Like

Default A couple questions on broadheads and dampening

Good morning hunters,

I am getting ready for next season and was wondering what you guys think about broadheads and limb dampeners. My first question is what 100 grain broadheads fly the most like a field tip and still are effective? What do you prefer limb saver dampeners or bowjax? I am looking at the solid limb dampeners my bow is not noisy but limb savers and bowjax are a small investment to try, so why not. I shoot a 30 inch draw and 60 pound draw weight. My arrows are 29 inch 5575 gold tip hunter expeditions. Thank you for the help, and I enjoy reading your post.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, I failed to mention I have been looking at and reading about G5 T3, G5 Montecs, and Rage broadheads. Of course your input on any broadheads would be of great value to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Your most likely going to get a ton of different suggestions. I use Throphy Taker Shuttle T's and Limbsavers, both do an excellent job for me. Try a few different broadheads and go with what works for you. I shot 5 different high end broadheads and the T's worked best for me. I'm going to try Rages next.
    I'm a Lefty

2011 Martin Ridge Hunter
    2012 Rytera Alien Z
    2008 Diamond Marquis
    2008 Diamond Marquis
    2009 Bowtech Sentinel
    2009 Bowtech Sentinel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    Good morning hunters,

I am getting ready for next season and was wondering what you guys think about broadheads and limb dampeners. My first question is what 100 grain broadheads fly the most like a field tip and still are effective? What do you prefer limb saver dampeners or bowjax? I am looking at the solid limb dampeners my bow is not noisy but limb savers and bowjax are a small investment to try, so why not. I shoot a 30 inch draw and 60 pound draw weight. My arrows are 29 inch 5575 gold tip hunter expeditions. Thank you for the help, and I enjoy reading your post.
    I'll start it off by telling you that I probably won't be much help with the broadheads, I'll tell you that I shoot 3 blade Muzzys. I heard that a lot of guys have trouble tuning their bows to shoot Muzzys. Probably not alot of help because I shoot 'em out of a shoot-thru system, an X rigged Martin Slayer, circa 2006. Limbs savers or Bowjax, limb savers, because I like their look better that the bowjax. Have never used bowjax, so I can't tell you any pro or con about them.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NuttyNative View Post
    Your most likely going to get a ton of different suggestions. I use Throphy Taker Shuttle T's and Limbsavers, both do an excellent job for me. Try a few different broadheads and go with what works for you. I shot 5 different high end broadheads and the T's worked best for me. I'm going to try Rages next.
    Thank you NuttyNative,
    I figured I would get allot of options, my thought was to try to figure out what works best for most would make a good starting point. To be honest I don't have a bunch of money. My job was outsourced so my new job is at half the wages of my old job and finding a good shooting broadhead early on can save a ton of time and money.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input 4x5. Muzzy has been around a long time, so they must be doing something right. It is good to know that they can be a bit difficult to tune. Back when I did shoot allot I tried some Savora three blades and they where hard to get tuned in as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Chip Muzzy is just like the rest they like a well tuned bow is all... I use them also only head i ever have used truthfuly... pack of 6 100 gr is under 40 bucks...hard to beat that price .. easy to re sharpen and come with practice blades...

others lised by you are all good well , rages ummm not real sure bout them some say greatthings while others say never again... beware of posers
    It's all fun an games till you put that big boy on the ground.. now its time to get to work
    Martin cougarIII elite nitrous C cam X system & HHA
    Darton Fury recurve

http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/

Post Thanks / Like

Chip

Since you are going to get as many opinions on this as posts I will throw this out there for something to think about. All Magnus broadheads have a lifetime warranty on their broadheads. Have a miss or pass-thru and hit a rock or tree breaking/bending the broadhead? No problem, no questions asked, get it replaced.

I bought my son some 125 grain Stinger 4-blades for his recurve. He hasn't got a deer yet (tonight I hope) but they look very tough and are pretty dang sharp. If I didn't already have a bunch of BHs I would pick up some Stuffer SS for myself.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    Good morning hunters,

I use 100 grain fixed head BH's. I have no experience with Mech because they are illegal in my state. I've had great success with G5 Montec's and Grim Reaper HADES. The Hades was great. I did try some 2 blade Stingers this season. Just for chits and giggles. It took me two shots at 20 yards both pass through to put the deer down. I was not happy with the 2 blade. I returned the rest of the unused Stingers back to Midway USA hoping to trade them for more Grim reaper Hades heads but they were out of stock. So I had them switched to Trophy Taker Shuttle T locks. They are NIB and haven't used it yet so I cannot comment further on it's Flights characteristics. I do like my Bowjax Slipjax. I have one at the top and bottom of my string. I don't have a need to add a BowJax to the limbs.

Post Thanks / Like

Dampeners: I've used limb savers for a long time and really like them............never tried bowjax.
    Broadheads: My state requires fixed blade heads. Currently using Wasp Hammer SST, 100gr. Flies really nice out of my bow, right with my field points out to 60yd practice distance and based on my stump shooting during hunts, they are a solid durable broadhead.
    As for personal input on performance on big game......I have no doubt they are a deadly broadhead, but while I came very close to getting shots this year on a couple bucks, just couldn't get it to come together in the last few seconds and ended this frustrating season with rare unfilled tags.

Muzzy's are good heads.
    Friend of mine, gets a lot of broadheads to try-out/review and currently trying/likes Slick Trick. He also likes Muzzy, Wasp and in G5 line, has used the Striker on a few animals
    2009 Martin Bengal M2 Pro Cam w/factory STS & CCS.....66lbs, 29" DL, 422gr @ 272fps, Winners Choice string/cable, Trophy Taker drop-away Rest, Scott Release
    1996 Martin Firecat XRG Pro Series w/Ultra Sonic wheels.....69lbs, 29" DL, 465gr @ 245fps, w/fingers & Martin leather glove