Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A couple questions on broadheads and dampening

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

IMO,Limbsavers work better than Bowjax,but either will work
    Broadheads: i've tried several different fixed blades,2,3,and 4 blade. some are harder to tune than others. In my experience,the bow will let you know what BH it likes just as a gun will w ammo. My favorite head so far for flight,penetration,and damage is Slick Trick standards and Mags in 100gr. two of each reside in my quiver as I type. 2nd would be Muzzy. I also have a 3 blade 100gr in my quiver. penetration through shoulder is great,though I dont intentionally or reccommend deliberately trying to take out heavy bone. I've also shot Wasp 100gr 3 blade and they do a very good job. Equal to that of Muzzy and ST,though the blades seem to be thinner. Golden Key used to make a head called the deadhead that were awesome. I'd probably still shoot them if they were available. I've tried Thunderheads in 100 and 125gr and they plane to much for my liking. NAP Nitrons fly great,but use TINY screws to retain the blades. won't buy those again either.

I've only had 1 bow that would shoot a Magnus(yellow/black 6pk) worth a dang. I won't be shooting them again. Steelforce makes an excellent 2 blade head as well and also have a lifetime warrany.

For sheer strength and durabilty of the ones I've listed,I prefer Slick Tricks and Muzzy. the blades won't pull off the ferrell due to the way they lock together,and from my bow,they both have FP flight and accuracy. as was stated though,a well tuned bow is detrimental to the best broadhead flight. The best value for the $$$ goes to Muzzy. $28-30 for a 6pk is hard to beat.
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

Post Thanks / Like

I just made the switch to g5 montecs and they fly just like field tips,shooting them out to 50yds.They are very sharp and kinda small so they dont plain like bigger heads do.They fit perfect in my martin quiver too.Oh and they are easy to re-sharpen.
    I would go with limb saver's they seem to do a god job as any and are fairly cheap.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for your input,

Sorry had to go and shoot the bow a little just got back. To be honest I don't know a great deal about bow tuning, but my bow is shooting very well and the arrow flight looks straight and true to my naked eye. There again from 20 yards the arrow is in the target before I see much if any flight. I did get to shoot 30 yards today and could see the arrow a little better and it looked good to the naked eye. To be honest the thing is shooting scary good as long as I don't mess up. This is part of the reason for asking for advice on broadheads, as I really would like not to have to change anything on the bow. Once again thank you all and I do appreciate your advice and replies.

Post Thanks / Like

your welcome... If you do need to change anything we are here to help always.
    It's all fun an games till you put that big boy on the ground.. now its time to get to work
    Martin cougarIII elite nitrous C cam X system & HHA
    Darton Fury recurve

http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/

Post Thanks / Like

I with HE on BH's,switched over to Slick Trick Mag's this year.No deer killed with them,but they will be on for spring bear next year

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    Thank you all for your input,

Sorry had to go and shoot the bow a little just got back. To be honest I don't know a great deal about bow tuning, but my bow is shooting very well and the arrow flight looks straight and true to my naked eye. There again from 20 yards the arrow is in the target before I see much if any flight. I did get to shoot 30 yards today and could see the arrow a little better and it looked good to the naked eye. To be honest the thing is shooting scary good as long as I don't mess up. This is part of the reason for asking for advice on broadheads, as I really would like not to have to change anything on the bow. Once again thank you all and I do appreciate your advice and replies.
    I did'nt either when I 1st came here, not so now. Stick around, and you will. The guys here are wealth of archery knowledge, you've come the right site!
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Speedykills View Post
    I just made the switch to g5 montecs and they fly just like field tips,shooting them out to 50yds.They are very sharp and kinda small so they dont plain like bigger heads do.They fit perfect in my martin quiver too.Oh and they are easy to re-sharpen.
    I would go with limb saver's they seem to do a god job as any and are fairly cheap.
    I tried the Montec ss and had drifting issues after 25 yards but one of my friends swears by them. I've also had good luck with Team Realtree 85gr Chiz-L tips I got at a Wal-Mart closeout for $2.50 a pack (I got 30 broadheads for $25, similar to muzzy's). Also, heres a link to the difference between limbsavers & bow-jacks.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJsEtFtpF8c
    I'm a Lefty

2011 Martin Ridge Hunter
    2012 Rytera Alien Z
    2008 Diamond Marquis
    2008 Diamond Marquis
    2009 Bowtech Sentinel
    2009 Bowtech Sentinel

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey NN, thanks for the link that was cool! I never did like bow jax. We had a customers bow in our shop that had them and it was loud. We changed the string and added the bow jax's back on the bow and it was still loud. Arrow Splitter (my son) took them off and added whiskers and it is still today one of the quietest bows we have had in the shop.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, I only use limbsavers & cat whishers. My Guardian is so quiet it gets compliments at every 3D shoot it's been at. Not bad for 292 fps.
    My Oneida sounded like a 22 before I put all the silencers on it. It's still too loud for my liking but it's tolerable. BIG DIFFERENCE.
    I'm a Lefty

2011 Martin Ridge Hunter
    2012 Rytera Alien Z
    2008 Diamond Marquis
    2008 Diamond Marquis
    2009 Bowtech Sentinel
    2009 Bowtech Sentinel

Post Thanks / Like

I am shooting the Wasp bullet 100 gr 3 blade. They were $35 for 6 and I have only shot one deer this year. I hit him in the spine and the one blade has a curve to it but it did not break. I recovered the broadhead as I was butchering the deer. It was in there pretty good. I was happy with the blood trail and as far as tuning them, I downloaded the Easton tuning guide and followed the steps to tune my broadheads to impact with my field points. I don't know that I started out with a well tuned bow, so it took a little bit to get the broadheads to hit with the field points, but once I made the adjustments I was pretty happy. I just started shooting bow last year and knew nothing about bows, and this was not an extremely difficult thing to do. I just probably took twice as long for me to do it than others who know a little bit more. Good luck.
    2012 Alien X