Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noisy Onza 3

Post Thanks / Like

Default Noisy Onza 3

I bought my Onza in early 2010 and it came with the TRG?SOS. Well after about 500 shots the string was toast and the SOS rubbers failed 3 or 4 times. Joel sent me the kit to replace the trg/sos but my riser is not cut to accept the sts. I bought a limbsaver and it works but it's still one of the noisiest bows I've ever heard. Have any of you just removed the sts alltogether, and did it quiet your bow. Any suggestions apreciated, I want to hunt with this bow but it is extremely loud. 50lb 29" custom strings and string silencers installed, yes I've moved the sts in and out and the quietest position is with the string just touching the rubber. The bow is very accurate, just loud.

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing worse than a loud bow,but i didnt think the onza3 would be one of them.I would check all specs including cam timing,if one thing is out of whack could cause extra noise.Also could be the string stopper the rubber could be to hard and not absorbing any sound.
    If everything is in spec i might try cat whiskers instead of any rubber type of string silencer's.Also might go with a heavyer arrow.Iam sure other people will chime in and give more advise.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Speedy gave you some good advise. Make sure the cams are in perfect time. Both my Onzas are very quiet. One was a bit loud at first, but once I got the cams timed out as best I could, it quieted right down.
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Bob C, do a search on creep tuning on YouTube. Once you have the timimg perfect, you need to go with cat whiskers, do a search for that on YouTube as well. Whiskers are the all time favorites of most young and old bow hunters.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

check for lose bolts buy striking bow with plam of hand listen for rattling.. I agree with Speedykills timming is key
    It's all fun an games till you put that big boy on the ground.. now its time to get to work
    Martin cougarIII elite nitrous C cam X system & HHA
    Darton Fury recurve

http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/

Post Thanks / Like

Got cat whiskers installed, the Limbsaver sts is definately better than the Martin one. Timing is spot on, although I had a hard time after replacing the strings that martin sent, so I had Winner's Choice build me a set and the timing issue disappeared. Nothing loose I can find. Just really frustrated with this bow and trying to get it quite. Might see if Martin will take it back and install thier 2012 mods on it. I don't shoot this bow to it's potential because of the noise issue.

Post Thanks / Like

What is your total arrow weight!

Post Thanks / Like

Wrap a little dental floss under the c-clips and put string was on the clips. Work wonders on my Onza.

Post Thanks / Like

string wax

Post Thanks / Like

Total arrow weight is 390 grains.
    Strings are waxed regularly
    Dental floss under the c-clips? Have not tried that one yet.

May increase arrow weight to 415 grains, but a Gold Tip 55/70 400 spine arrow should be plenty heavy for a 50lb bow.
    These things can be so frustrating until you figure out that one little thing that pushs you over the hump. I will remove the sts and shoot it bare and try to see if there is something else I am missing.